Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #401
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Tre's terrible coaching choices led to Sutter getting back in which then could have led to Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin, and Lindholm wanting out. Yeesh
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #402
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
So a guy who reports on the Flames is engaged as a speaker at an event, in the aftermath of a wildly unexpected season and very controversial house cleaning (spending 8 m for the guy not to coach), and you want him to, what, show pictures of his dog?
No
but it sounds like it was quite the rip, perhaps show a tad of class.
but
that might be a bit much to ask of Francis
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:04 AM   #403
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesters will be jesters, and that will secure their longevity as a jester.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #404
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
No
but it sounds like it was quite the rip, perhaps show a tad of class.
but
that might be a bit much to ask of Francis

I suspect that any audience assembled is not full of people that keep up as closely as lots here do

It isn’t a bad thing in my mind. The team wildly underachieved. People may be interested to know how this could have happened

We all know Francis is going to come out with some controversial takes to stir the pot when things are dull, and we can all roll our eyes

But in this case, I don’t see an issue. Sutter did enough in plain view. The ‘taking a ####’ comment was public, how players took it wasn’t. Something was wrong with the team, and many people reported how dismal the atmosphere was around the team. Francis was just saying what lots of us have come to know, for a less plugged in audience. Why keep it secret?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #405
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I suspect that any audience assembled is not full of people that keep up as closely as lots here do

It isn’t a bad thing in my mind. The team wildly underachieved. People may be interested to know how this could have happened

We all know Francis is going to come out with some controversial takes to stir the pot when things are dull, and we can all roll our eyes

But in this case, I don’t see an issue. Sutter did enough in plain view. The ‘taking a ####’ comment was public, how players took it wasn’t. Something was wrong with the team, and many people reported how dismal the atmosphere was around the team. Francis was just saying what lots of us have come to know, for a less plugged in audience. Why keep it secret?

yeah
at the end of the day, who cares now I suppose
seems like its only being talked about here anyway
its been a tough enough year for Flames fans
We've talked almost exclusively for a month now
put it behind us and look ahead
its a new bright start to things
lets see how the team bounces back
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #406
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
And you replace his scoring with what? The guy wants to be here, he is going to be good value for his production, and if the mandate is try and win now there is nobody on the UFA market that is going to be a better fit.
He's a guy who scored less than 50 points for 6 years in a row then last year he scored 73 blasting his career high at 30 years old.

I wouldn't want to count on that happening again. If you can find someone who will give you a 1st round pick for him, I'd do it in a second. I'd rather than than signing another 30 + year old guy to a long term deal. Asset management.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 09:33 AM   #407
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man it will forever blow my mind that Treliving, a guy who seems like a really smart hockey executive and tireless worker, could bungle so many coaching hires.

Even before Peters skeletons came out and ended his career was showing signs of a really short shelf life.

Then he nailed it with Sutter finally but only to have the ole guy apparently lose his marbles this past season.

It also worries me a little that Conroy probably had a hand in all those hires, especially the Gulutzan one where they went hiking together.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #408
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man it will forever blow my mind that Treliving, a guy who seems like a really smart hockey executive and tireless worker, could bungle so many coaching hires.

Even before Peters skeletons came out and ended his career was showing signs of a really short shelf life.

Then he nailed it with Sutter finally but only to have the ole guy apparently lose his marbles this past season.

It also worries me a little that Conroy probably had a hand in all those hires, especially the Gulutzan one where they went hiking together.

Gulutzan didn’t work out, but I don’t mind them taking a swing on an inexperienced guy like that. You’ll never find the next Bednar or Cooper if you don’t.

Watching some of Gulutzan’s coaching seminars a lot of what he says makes complete sense. He comes across as a smart and innovative guy. Man, did he ever make some baffling decisions while he was here though. I think he lacked that “tone setter” mentality that a head coach needs too. He’s better suited in an assistant role.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #409
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Gulutzan didn’t work out, but I don’t mind them taking a swing on an inexperienced guy like that. You’ll never find the next Bednar or Cooper if you don’t.

Watching some of Gulutzan’s coaching seminars a lot of what he says makes complete sense. He comes across as a smart and innovative guy. Man, did he ever make some baffling decisions while he was here though. I think he lacked that “tone setter” mentality that a head coach needs too. He’s better suited in an assistant role.
Yeah I'd say Gulutzan is a career assistant coach.

Very smart hockey mind but in over his head when dealing with players, in game bench decisions, the media and just having to be THE guy.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #410
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matchups, zone starts and special teams are very important as well.

Having a strong system is great but your bench management needs to be elite as well.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #411
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gulutzan had quite a bit of experience actually, despite looking like a 16 year old kid. Ten years of professional head coaching experience (6 in the ECHL, 2 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL), plus 3 years as an assistant in Vancouver. Thirteen years of professional coaching experience before the Flames hired him. Compared to Mitch Love, Gulutzan was a grizzled veteran.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #412
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm so happy it's Craig Conroy. I truly enjoy listening to him talk. Also seems like someone I'd be excited to work with.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:41 PM   #413
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

How fun. Coolest GM in the league!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 10:56 PM   #414
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's hope Conny can find the same magic of the 2004 run. I'm optimistic for the Flames, Conny is making a difference already and he's only done the presser!
Old 05-28-2023, 01:58 PM   #415
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To me his seminars gave kind of a bad impression, a lot of truisms and very basic stuff, and not that lot that was actually interesting or informative.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:58 AM   #416
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

You have to have the hockey IQ, but you also have to be comfortable with limited NHL experience taking control of the room and telling professionals what to do.

I think that's where he struggled.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:25 PM   #417
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is video on Flames website "Flames alumni members talk about Craig Conroy being named general manager in Calgary". I'm happy they are supporting him, and I was so happy to see Matt Lombardi with them. I guess I'm getting old
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:32 PM   #418
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matty Lombardi still looks good!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #419
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The unspoken element is that Maloney was very teary when Treliving left and was very good friends with Tre, so to think the report on Sutter was unbiased is a bit naive.

Likewise, given that Maloney and Treliving worked together in building this team, their rose colored glasses on roster construction is also somewhat obvious.

It's a lot easier to report that Sutter is the problem than the team construction is fundamentally flawed. Especially if you're one of the two people responsible for the construction.

IMO, short of a young franchise player magically appearing (wolfey, coronato?), this is a team that is plausible post-apex and possibly not good enough to truly contend. And yet, the team also has too much cap tied up in long-term contracts to enter a rebuild.

If next year sucks, this team is ####ed until 2030
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:09 AM   #420
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
The unspoken element is that Maloney was very teary when Treliving left and was very good friends with Tre, so to think the report on Sutter was unbiased is a bit naive.

Likewise, given that Maloney and Treliving worked together in building this team, their rose colored glasses on roster construction is also somewhat obvious.

It's a lot easier to report that Sutter is the problem than the team construction is fundamentally flawed. Especially if you're one of the two people responsible for the construction.

IMO, short of a young franchise player magically appearing (wolfey, coronato?), this is a team that is plausible post-apex and possibly not good enough to truly contend. And yet, the team also has too much cap tied up in long-term contracts to enter a rebuild.

If next year sucks, this team is ####ed until 2030
It's never that simple, so why be so defeatist?

The Flames may find out that 3 of the 7 UFAs in a year won't extend, and with that Conroy may make this team considerably younger in 4-6 weeks time.

Not holding my breath, but imagine how much differently you'd view this team if they selected three times in the first round in this year's draft?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote