Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Miscellaneous > Help/Suggestions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 06:27 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mods adding tags to posts?

I’ve seen this happen on a post I started, and I just saw it on another post (although I could be wrong and it may have been added by the OP):

- Former Flames Performance Thread
- How do you pronounce Kadri

In both cases it’s “______ outing themselves”. I certainly didn’t edit my post to add this, and unless Hack&Lube did it to his thread I’m thinking the only one who can do this is a mod? If so I’d respectfully ask you to stop. Not that it isn’t true (arguably), but there is nothing attributing the edit to who made it and that seems wrong.

If you want to post something post it in the thread, not via a drive-by tag edit. Please and thanks.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone can add a tag I think
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Anyone can add a tag I think
Interesting -- thanks Jiri. I don't see the option to do that but if that is in fact the case, I'm guessing it is not widely known?

I'll add -- I'm personally of a fan of people doing that; my suggestion would be to disable that feature if possible but I understand if that is just a function of the software. My $0.02.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I need to bring this up as well. My thread had a tag labelled "racists outing themselves" added by someone else which was highly offensive. I don't have the ability to edit tags on other people's threads so it must be a mod or a prior mod like Jiri who has leftover granted permissions.

I deleted those tags when it was brought to my attention but here's Pylon complaining about it.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=112

And tvp2003's comment which linked me to here
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=121
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pho can probably best answer. But to be clear I didn't add those tags. I've never added a tag until today (to test how to add tags). I've never really noticed them for the most part TBH.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’ve never been able to add tags, except to my own threads. But this isn’t the first time this came up. I recall this happening years ago when tags were first added and all kinds of tag shenanigans occurred. It’s always been the case that only some people can add them and some can’t. No idea what the reason is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I looked at the tagging permissions and most users should only be able to a) tag their own threads and b) delete any tags on their own threads. However there was a few small subgroups that were set incorrectly, the settings were flipped so that they could tag any thread and not remove tags on their own treads.

I've flipped those to match, but yeah I wonder if tagging is something we should just turn off if it doesn't get used for anything useful. In theory threads tagged with something could be grouped by clicking on the tag and seeing all threads with a given tag, but who does that? People just search afaik.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #8
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I see that option (to search for threads using tags like a Twitter hashtag) but I don’t feel they add much if anything since the search feature exists. Judging by the first page they don’t get used much in any event.

Thanks for the info and response.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Photon why do you have the worlds largest avatar? Not complaining. Just curious.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:50 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Photon why do you have the worlds largest avatar? Not complaining. Just curious.
I was trying to up the size and trying to see what feels right. It was 100x100, but I changed it to 150x150 and am seeing how that looks.

I tried 200x200 but I think that's too big.. not necessarily horizontally but it really makes the user area tall.

I think 150x150 is ok, it fits within the default size of the user area of posts (which I think is 175px wide) and doesn't increase the vertical size too much.

I was wondering if anyone would notice
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Keep the tagging feature because Edmonton is No Good.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I was trying to up the size and trying to see what feels right. It was 100x100, but I changed it to 150x150 and am seeing how that looks.

I tried 200x200 but I think that's too big.. not necessarily horizontally but it really makes the user area tall.

I think 150x150 is ok, it fits within the default size of the user area of posts (which I think is 175px wide) and doesn't increase the vertical size too much.

I was wondering if anyone would notice
It's kind of cool with modern displays being so much larger than they were 20 years ago to have larger avatars.

This is a separate discussion but maybe we could also discuss signature banner size limits as well as someone has multiple giant pictures of their Flames van that wraps onto the next row on their posts and it always sticks out to me.

As far as the tagging feature, it can be a fun feature for involvement and search grouping but just like dislike buttons I've seen threads where it devolved into allowing people to secretly s***post on threads they disagreed with by just writing offensive garbage in the tags.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
photon

Exp:

Sigs should adhere to the limit of 400px wide by 150px tall, but compliance is voluntary so if you see one that goes beyond that then reporting it should get it edited by a mod.

I'd be less inclined to bump that up, at least vertically.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:12 PM   #14
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Keep the tagging feature because Edmonton is No Good.
I just noticed that I missed putting in a "edmonton is no good" tag in one of the threads I made and I'm really disappointed in myself!
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
you're it