Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 3 0.80%
Arnold 0 0%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.27%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 113 30.29%
Gillies 132 35.39%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 7 1.88%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 10 2.68%
Jankowski 6 1.61%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 5 1.34%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 13 3.49%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 82 21.98%
Rafikov 1 0.27%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #41
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I picked Ferland on the basis of being very likely to at least be an NHL player and high potential of a middle of lineup player who every team needs in the playoffs. I still can't decide between Gilles and Ortio. Likely leaning towards Gilles next time if I have that option.
Journey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
For those voting Ortio over Gillies, out of curiosity, let's say Ortio was another teams prospect. Would you trade Gillies to that team right now to acquire Ortio?
How about I think Ortio should be our No.1 Goalie for now and the future and given the choice of the two occupying the net at the same time ($$). I would trade Gillies in a heartbeat

So would I trade for Ortio, yes very easily
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For those voting Ortio over Gillies, out of curiosity, let's say Ortio was another teams prospect. Would you trade Gillies to that team right now to acquire Ortio?
Would you trade the other way? If I only had one of them in my system I would keep the one I had because I would know them better.

I'm not sure what Gilles has done to separate himself from other college prospects. He played on a highly defensive low scoring team that probably inflated his numbers.

I think in one year we will see much more clearly who is the better prospect is. Ortio will have a year as nhl backup and Gilles a year of AHL starter.

I would argue upside for each is the same. Ortio is closer to achieving that upside and has lower floor.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #44
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

according to plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCody
1) Bennett
2) Poirier
3) Gillies
4) Ferland
5) Wotherspoon
P.S. 6) Granlund
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #45
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies has future starter written all over him and has future star potential.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #46
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find it weird that those who say they are voting based on highest potential are not voting for Kylington.
Not to say that is the way that everyone should be making their decision, or even that I am making my pick based on that....but if you are then how can you not take Kylington right after Bennett?
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #47
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I find it weird that those who say they are voting based on highest potential are not voting for Kylington.
Not to say that is the way that everyone should be making their decision, or even that I am making my pick based on that....but if you are then how can you not take Kylington right after Bennett?

Well I think most, perhaps all, also factor in likelihood of the player reaching that potential. Kylington is far from a sure thing.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #48
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Tough when you are comparing positions. How do you compare a guy with #1 starter potential (Gillies) with a dman? Both have high ceilings.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually go with higher ceiling but with goalies they're so hard to predict so I usually go with who looks like more of a guarantee to pan out, which to me is Ortio.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #50
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is assuming Kylington's potential is that of a top pairing defenseman. I'm not so sure I see it that way. I think if he hits his ceiling he will more likely be a #3/4 guy. And like others have said, likelihood to reach that potential is a factor too.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #51
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #52
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Gillies has future starter written all over him and has future star potential.
He does?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
He does?
yes
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #54
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured this one would be debated heavily, as it should be. There are several "very good" prospects and little difference between them. I know nobody cares, but here's my thought process to ranking these players:

-The breakdown for me is 50% potential since that's the most important aspect of any prospect. Without potential you simply have a bunch of warm bodies, or "plugs" as they are affectionately referred to, and can't hope to build a better team.

-The next 20% is likelihood to translate to the NHL. This is hard to predict, but you can see certain subjective qualities that help prospects make it to the big show. Things like hockey IQ, work ethic, resilience, positive outlook, consistency etc. I have to admit that this is the one that varies a lot between these names since I know a lot about some guys and very little about others.

-10% is positional importance. I rank positions as such: starting goaltenders highest, top pairing defensemen, top 2 line centers, top 6 wingers, 2nd pairing defensemen, bottom 2 line centers, backup goaltender, bottom pairing defenders, and finally bottom 6 wingers.

-Another 10% comes from progression. This is important to see as a prospect matures, fills the holes in his game, and responds appropriately to higher levels of competition. If a prospect fails to progress adequately I rank them lowest against their comparables.

-The final 10% is the sample of play at the professional level. For me, the AHL is a small drop off from the NHL, as all top prospects go to play there for a little while. It's the proving ground to show you actually belong in the NHL. If there happens to be a significant sample at the NHL level, I take it even more into account.

So even though Ferland and Granlund have showed something at the NHL level, it's mostly in a lower positional importance compared to goaltending or defensemen. Culkin has 2nd pairing upside and has progressed steadily every year, with a decent sample in the AHL too, and without any major setbacks along the way. Ortio has shown more in the AHL and NHL, but it's been a long road for him and he's struggled with consistency at times, and he projects to be more of a backup in the NHL than a starter (IMO anyway).

Gillies has elite starter potential, and has been very consistent except for one stretch (that unfortunately happened at the WJC and shortly after). He's got the mental makeup to be a good pro, but I don't know everything about that aspect yet. Once I see how he plays at the pro level I'll have a better handle on him, but everything about Gillies makes me think he's destined to be the next franchise goaltender for the Flames, possibly being in the same conversation as Vernon and Kiprusoff.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
That is assuming Kylington's potential is that of a top pairing defenseman. I'm not so sure I see it that way. I think if he hits his ceiling he will more likely be a #3/4 guy. And like others have said, likelihood to reach that potential is a factor too.
That isn't his ceiling at all. The general view is that his ceiling is Eric Karlsson.

The problem with voting for Kylington at this point, is the likelihood of him hitting his ceiling (or close to it), which is lass than 20% right now.

Conversely, Wotherspoon's ceiling is no where near that, but his likelihood of becoming a solid NHLer is substantially higher.

IMO, prospect ranking should consider several things:

1) how good are they right now?
2) what is their ceiling?
3) what is the likelihood of hitting their ceiling (or at least becoming a player)?
4) how close are they now?

THis is why HF Futures will rank a guy 8.0D as opposed to 8.0
Old 07-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #56
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch root View Post
yes
ok.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #57
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Really hard choice already.

I think Gillies, Ortio, Granlund, Ferland, Hickey, Kylington, Andersson and McDonald are all defensible picks. Personally I think Hickey is way ahead of Kylington right now but I can see why some believe Kylington wins the ceiling part of the equation. Hickey just had such a strong year in college, I believe he should shoot up our rankings this year and go in the next few picks.

All the goalies look to have #1 potential but I hate putting goalies super high given how long they take to develop and how many don't pan out. And which one goes first? I kind of view them as being fairly close.

Should I rate Ferland the highest given my love of power forwards and my belief they are quite rare? He is very likely to make the NHL and does have a big upside. I guess that's how I have to vote here.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #58
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickey for sure should be top 5 IMO. But I do have Kylington right at the top with Bennett.
I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the prospect camp.

I'm also expecting that once the Flames see what they have in Kylington at this camp they'll get him over to NA if he is willing.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
as for the poll, is it based on potential upside or NHL ready/career?

because Kylington probably has the biggest upside...but he might not play a game in the NHL, whereas an Ortio may be a career backup, but he should be on an NHL for a long time?

just curious how others are framing "best prospect"
Blend of both upside and likelihood I would say. How much you want to weigh one vs the other is up to you
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Kylington's potential and was thrilled we got him.

But for me, Hickey is way ahead of him right now.

Hopefully Kylington makes a case for himself quickly (this year). And like you, Dammage79, I would like to see him in NA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: