Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #5201
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

750 million for methane emissions reductions and working with BDC for loans for mid sized companies.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #5202
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Feds pledge 1.7B towards orphan well remediation.
While nice, I don't see either of the announcements made today helping the average O&G worker in any way. Will wait and see specifics though.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #5203
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Feds pledge 1.7B towards orphan well remediation.
pretty good gig if you can get it
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #5204
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to hear this, it's definitely needed. I'd still have preferred these companies clean up their own messes though. Great job by previous crony governments not to write rules and laws around that.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #5205
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Great to hear this, it's definitely needed. I'd still have preferred these companies clean up their own messes though. Great job by previous crony governments not to write rules and laws around that.
But most of those wells were owned by companies that got decimated into non-existence, partially due to government policies...How are they supposed to pay for it?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #5206
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
While nice, I don't see either of the announcements made today helping the average O&G worker in any way. Will wait and see specifics though.

It really doesn't. Its the base minimum help. Also in terms of the $750 million, are Energy Companies going to be interested in what is basically loans and credits to fight to stay in business.

Just to put this in perspective, Environment Canada gave more money to China.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #5207
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But most of those wells were owned by companies that got decimated into non-existence, partially due to government policies...How are they supposed to pay for it?
I mean, if they cared about being responsible environmental stewards (lol) they would have some kind of non-negotiable decommissioning budget tacked onto every well built.

But no, apparently it's an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #5208
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Probably not, but it will create a decent amount of jobs as well as being something that has to be addressed at some point.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #5209
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably not, but it will create a decent amount of jobs as well as being something that has to be addressed at some point.
I assume there will be some program set up for regular Producers to abandon their wells and can apply for some of this money. The Alberta Orphan association has no need for this amount of money and BC and Sask are tiny in comparison.

Liquidity though was the big thing and this announcement does nothing for that.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #5210
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. It's a good program but very limited in scope and will help a very narrow portion of the industry (and workers). It's still a bloodbath out there overall.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #5211
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What's that sound? Sounds like a tiny violin.

It shouldn't be the taxpayers issue to clean up wells for private companies - their private project, their private profit, their private cleanup. Well remediation should have been strategized and outlined in law decades ago by previous governments.

I'm happy this $1.7B is being spent here as we need work in this province right now, but this should never have had to been spent form the public purse in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #5212
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I mean, if they cared about being responsible environmental stewards (lol) they would have some kind of non-negotiable decommissioning budget tacked onto every well built.

But no, apparently it's an afterthought.
nah, it's fine, the industry has a fund for it, don't worry

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...an#post5762317
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #5213
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

the term is underwhelming. More was done for the auto industry during the last recession. It says a lot when the government isn't willing to do something similar in terms of investing in the industry.

The amount of jobs created or maintained 5200 is extremely minor in the grand scheme of the employment devastation in this province.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #5214
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
the term is underwhelming. More was done for the auto industry during the last recession. It says a lot when the government isn't willing to do something similar in terms of investing in the industry.

The amount of jobs created or maintained 5200 is extremely minor in the grand scheme of the employment devastation in this province.
Yeah but the auto industry is located in Ontario.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #5215
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Considering that more then 100 billion has been spent on this and 500 million spent today on the arts, its not much of anything. There is no real help coming for Oil and Gas in Alberta and likely after this announcement we'll probably end up losing more jobs then we gain.

Bombardier which employs about 1700 people I believe has in its history received more then a billion in bailouts.

The Oil and Gas industry has been a major massive amount of tax income provincially and Federally and we got amounts to the bare minimum.

There's not much in terms of help here for Oil and Gas.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #5216
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
What's that sound? Sounds like a tiny violin.

It shouldn't be the taxpayers issue to clean up wells for private companies - their private project, their private profit, their private cleanup.
Again - the companies in question - the "they" you're referring to - no longer exist. There is no "they" left.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #5217
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Again - the companies in question - the "they" you're referring to - no longer exist. There is no "they" left.
In case you missed it, I already clearly mentioned why well remediation should have been written into law with "them" with previous governments before "they" could "no longer exist". It should have been done ages ago. Colossal oversight by previous governments not to do this. Now we get to foot the bill as taxpayers.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #5218
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Anyone else thats running, do they really want to be the one to pick up the pieces at this point?
I was once advised to avoid being the person who replaces a success story. Replacing Trump comes with a really low bar.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #5219
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much this abandoned well funding will help depends on the details (as with everything). If it is a fund available for oil and gas companies to draw on so they can continue with their abandonment and remediation activities which otherwise would have stopped due to not having any money, then I guess at least it keeps a bunch of people employed and helping those companies address their liabilities. If it is going to the Orphan Well fund I think it's a waste, it won't help anyone except their contractors and their practices are so out of date that the bang for the buck will be much lower than for most of the major oil & gas companies.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #5220
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
How much this abandoned well funding will help depends on the details (as with everything). If it is a fund available for oil and gas companies to draw on so they can continue with their abandonment and remediation activities which otherwise would have stopped due to not having any money, then I guess at least it keeps a bunch of people employed and helping those companies address their liabilities. If it is going to the Orphan Well fund I think it's a waste, it won't help anyone except their contractors and their practices are so out of date that the bang for the buck will be much lower than for most of the major oil & gas companies.
And who has better numbers? Because it’s none of the majors.

Last edited by Weitz; 04-17-2020 at 09:54 PM.