Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 10:22 PM   #481
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Other than Colorado and maybe St.Louis the Oilers are the best team in the West so the betting odds definitely make sense.
There is little that is more entertaining than the annual, blind summer optimism of Oiler fans
Old 08-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #482
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao. "Other than these clubs they're the top team!"

Reminds me of "other than the four games we lost outright it wasn't a sweep!"

Reminds me of "if he got there, it's a goal!"

Are these dumb, ridicule-able lines dropped by everybody up there?

Must suck to have to have asterisks and exceptions in subtext attached to every bold statement you try to make about your team.

Same stuff was said last season. No one in the division could challenge the mighty Oilers - blah blah blah - only to end up 7 points behind the Flames. With the Wild, Blues and Avs also clearly better than them in the regular season.

Doing all your talking in August - October is what pretenders do. Fans of teams that are legit don't have to proclaim anything before the season starts because they know what they're team is going to be.

The tiny man syndrome remains strong..
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #483
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Other than Colorado and maybe St.Louis the Oilers are the best team in the West so the betting odds definitely make sense.
I note that your understanding of “best team in the west” is equivalent to your understanding of how betting odds work.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:00 AM   #484
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I note that your understanding of “best team in the west” is equivalent to your understanding of how betting odds work.
That's how the house gets rich in Vegas.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #485
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I really hope these Patrick Kane to the Oilers rumors are BS
Old 08-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #486
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I really hope these Patrick Kane to the Oilers rumors are BS
Who is actually reporting this?
Old 08-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #487
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post
Pulled from HF Oilers:

"Puljujarvi + Foegele + draft picks is a trade you make for Patrick Kane a million times."

Typical Oiler fan. Why would Chicago do that you dummy?
Oiler fans still have to figure out this cap thing either. If they made this trade even at 50% retained Kane costs $5.5 mil and they ship out $5.75....but they are down to 10 forwards rather than 11? So instead of $300k to resign McLeod now they would have $550k and need to resign McLeod and add another player. Even at league min they are in a bigger hole to get to 12 forwards and just moved the 2 players that are the most likely candidates to move out to fix the cap.

Even if they dump Ryan they would need to replace him.

18 years they still haven't figured it out.

This on top of why would Chicago not go for a better return elsewhere?
Old 08-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #488
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Oiler fans still have to figure out this cap thing either. If they made this trade even at 50% retained Kane costs $5.5 mil and they ship out $5.75....but they are down to 10 forwards rather than 11? So instead of $300k to resign McLeod now they would have $550k and need to resign McLeod and add another player. Even at league min they are in a bigger hole to get to 12 forwards and just moved the 2 players that are the most likely candidates to move out to fix the cap.

Even if they dump Ryan they would need to replace him.

18 years they still haven't figured it out.

This on top of why would Chicago not go for a better return elsewhere?

Apparently HFOil was saying send PullanRV and Foegele and draft picks. They don’t realize that to take those two players Chicago would want their 2023 1st and 2024 1st, or remove one of those firsts and they want Evan Bouchard.

Never seen a fan base or a media group that doesn’t have the first clue about hockey and how the cap system works. It is really sad, but absolutely hilarious to watch
Old 08-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #489
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Apparently HFOil was saying send PullanRV and Foegele and draft picks. They don’t realize that to take those two players Chicago would want their 2023 1st and 2024 1st, or remove one of those firsts and they want Evan Bouchard.

Never seen a fan base or a media group that doesn’t have the first clue about hockey and how the cap system works. It is really sad, but absolutely hilarious to watch
I agree that it would take the 2 firsts but I can't see Chicago valuing Foegele at all. Puljujarvi was available and they didn't trade for him and probably is worth a 3rd. So 2 firsts is good but if the Oilers got Kane it's likely their first is a late first. I think Chicago could get more

As a Flames fan if we got Kane and 50% retained I'm not sure how much I would pay but for 1 year this team would be as good as any team.

Then you look at teams like Tampa, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Washington and so and think these teams are old and looking for now type of trades. I could see someone beating that offer.

Oilers want Kane they need the 2 firsts and Holloway or Broberg in with the cap dumps. The Oilers would probably have to dump Barrie and go with the worst d in NHL history

But their forwards would be scary
Old 08-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #490
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll only agree to allow them to get Kane if they change McDavid’s name to McCain so that Jack Michael’s head would explode.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:18 PM   #491
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I agree that it would take the 2 firsts but I can't see Chicago valuing Foegele at all. Puljujarvi was available and they didn't trade for him and probably is worth a 3rd. So 2 firsts is good but if the Oilers got Kane it's likely their first is a late first. I think Chicago could get more

As a Flames fan if we got Kane and 50% retained I'm not sure how much I would pay but for 1 year this team would be as good as any team.

Then you look at teams like Tampa, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Washington and so and think these teams are old and looking for now type of trades. I could see someone beating that offer.

Oilers want Kane they need the 2 firsts and Holloway or Broberg in with the cap dumps. The Oilers would probably have to dump Barrie and go with the worst d in NHL history

But their forwards would be scary
Please please please I hope they put all their chips on Patrick Kane. They still aren’t a cup favorite. That defense is almost as Swiss cheese and their new prized goaltender. Complete joke.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #492
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just going to post some quotes from Jason Gregor's article on oilers nation today:

Quote:
Multiple things need to happen for Kane to arrive in Edmonton. The most important being him agreeing to come. He’s an elite player and guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer. He’s produced the most points in the NHL over the past 13 seasons, including scoring more points than Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

For this article let’s pretend he agrees to come.
...starting it off with a pretty big caveat.

Quote:
Kane’s contract is actually very easy to trade for a few reasons. He carries a $10.5m cap hit, but he’s only owed $2.9m in salary. Chicago already paid his $4m signing bonus in July. Edmonton can’t take on the full $5.25m (I’d expect Chicago to retain 50% on any deal involving Kane). They have loads of cap space right now with him on the roster, so retaining shouldn’t be an issue.

Edmonton would need a third team involved, and the Arizona Coyotes are always willing to take on money for draft picks.

First, here’s how the money and cap hit would work with three teams.

Chicago trades Kane to Arizona and retains $5.25m cap hit and $1.45m in actual salary.

Arizona would then trade Kane to Edmonton. They would retain $2.65m in cap hit and $725K in actual salary.
Proposes that Chicago would retain half Kane's salary, and make it a three way with Arizona so they can retain some cap too! But what would the oilers have to pay Chicago and Arizona to make this happen?

Quote:
The Coyotes got a 2024 second rounder and a 2025 third round pick to take the final two years of Zack Kassian’s contract which pays him $5.8m in actual dollars. How much would you have to give up to get them to retain $725K on Kane? I’d guess it would cost you a late round pick and a second tier prospect. Any prospect other than Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault and Schaefer would be on the table.

What Chicago wants in return is a bit more challenging. One of Jesse Puljujarvi or Warren Foegele has to go to Chicago to make the cap work for Edmonton. Then it is a matter of what other costs. Chicago traded 24-year-old Alex Debrincat to Ottawa for a first and second rounder in 2022 and a third round pick in 2024, so I have to believe a first round pick will be involved. Teams are hesitant to trade 2023 first rounders, so maybe Edmonton can convince them to make it a first in 2024.

The difference between the Kane and Debrincat deals is that Kane controls where he goes, and that could impact the return.

Would a first, a second and Puljujarvi be enough? Too much, considering Kane is unlikely to re-sign?
Yes Jason, the Blackhawks are going to trade Kane for 2 picks and some garbage, and Arizona is going to help the Oilers out for a late pick and prospect, but not one of your good ones.

He at least finishes off with some honesty:

Quote:
I still think the odds are lower than 50/50, but unlike in previous seasons, I think Edmonton would be one of the few teams he might consider, and it has been a long time since you could say the Oilers are a legitimate contender.
Pretty sure they say the same thing about Edmonton being a legit contender every offseason for the last 6-7 years. There's also a bunch of slobbering over McDavid and Draisaitl in there that I chose not to quote. Here's the article if you want to see for yourself.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:21 PM   #493
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I'm just going to post some quotes from Jason Gregor's article on oilers nation today:

...starting it off with a pretty big caveat.

Proposes that Chicago would retain half Kane's salary, and make it a three way with Arizona so they can retain some cap too! But what would the oilers have to pay Chicago and Arizona to make this happen?

Yes Jason, the Blackhawks are going to trade Kane for 2 picks and some garbage, and Arizona is going to help the Oilers out for a late pick and prospect, but not one of your good ones.

He at least finishes off with some honesty:

Pretty sure they say the same thing about Edmonton being a legit contender every offseason for the last 6-7 years. There's also a bunch of slobbering over McDavid and Draisaitl in there that I chose not to quote. Here's the article if you want to see for yourself.

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read, Jason Gregor is an idiot. Firstly, enough of this bull#### Kane isn’t waiving to go to Coilerville. If Kane were available at $5.25MM Colorado could do it moving Girard and win a second cup, why would he ever waive to go to Edmonton, they aren’t a contender.

Secondly, do you think AZ is not going to leverage the Oilers to death being the 3rd in this deal. AZ’s ask starts with Holloway. So the package becomes PullanRV, Foegele, Holloway, 2-1sts. Removing an entire line of forwards for one player. And frankly, Kane doesn’t put them over the top. Their defense is the worst in the league and Campbell is a middle of the pack goalie.

Please please please Edmonton I want you to do this….. please
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #494
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read, Jason Gregor is an idiot. Firstly, enough of this bull#### Kane isn’t waiving to go to Coilerville. If Kane were available at $5.25MM Colorado could do it moving Girard and win a second cup, why would he ever waive to go to Edmonton, they aren’t a contender.
Yeah no kidding, there's no chance Kane would want to go to Edmonton in a million years, especially after they acquired then turfed Duncan Keith and forced him into retirement. Gregor is a complete dunce.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #495
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Yeah no kidding, there's no chance Kane would want to go to Edmonton in a million years, especially after they acquired then turfed Duncan Keith and forced him into retirement. Gregor is a complete dunce.
Not even kidding, I left this whole part of the article out:

Quote:
Here’s a plausible phone conversation that puts the wheels in motion.

Duncan Keith (calling): Kaner, how are you?

Patrick Kane: Duncs, how’s the retirement home (laughs)?

Keith: Not bad. Lots of golf and licorice.

Kane: So, what’s up why you calling?

Keith: Well, I have a new job in retirement. I’m sure you saw the Kings had a 10-year reunion for their 2012 Cup win. Our 2020 reunion was cancelled due to COVID, so I’m in charge or organizing our 10-year reunion next summer. Just wondering where you think we should host it.

Kane: If this is what retirement is about I’m playing another 10 years. Why don’t you host it at your swanky pad in Kelowna? I hear it’s beautiful. Oh yeah, and thanks for all the invites to see it.

Keith: Touché. You should come out now. Weather is amazing in August. I have lots of space and endless activities for the kids. You can see how great life in Canada is.

Kane: Why would I want to know that?

Keith: Dude, you can’t seriously want to stay in Chi-town this year. You might win 25 games. If you want to be on a competitive team, you should tell your agent you’d go to Edmonton. You thought the Breadman was a sick linemate, and he was unreal, but McD and Drai are on a different level. You’d love it.

Kane: Yeah, they are slick. But how cold is it in Edmonton?

Keith: It can be cold, not doubt, but you buy a house with a garage, park in it, drive to the rink and park underground. On the super cold days you don’t have to go outside, but when I did, the cold doesn’t go through you like in Chicago. It gets colder in Edmonton, but you don’t feel as cold. I can’t explain it. But those windy days in Chicago felt colder man.

Kane: What about shoveling?

Keith: Just be like Connor and get a heated driveway. I paid two kids in my neighbourhood to shovel mine. Paid them well, gave them a few tickets to games and a signed jersey. They had the snow off my driveway before I woke up some days (laughs).

Kane: I thought this call was about the reunion, but seems more like a recruiting call.

Keith: I’m retired man. I have lots of time on my hands. Just think about where we want the 10-year celly to be and consider Edmonton. It is very similar to your hometown of Buffalo.
Do other teams have reporters that write these kinds of cringey fanfics?
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #496
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Wow, there is just no shame with that team……. From the Katzing couch to Evander Kane to the fanboy media.

Far and away the most embarrassing team in all of professional sport, it isn’t close.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #497
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Holy #### they actually legit wrote and posted that. Wow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #498
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is hilarious that he brought up an imaginary (positive) conversation with Keith, because I was going to bring up Keith for a very different reason: the Oilers just convinced (coerced) Keith to retire early - they traded for him, then didn't want to honour the second year of his deal.

So on the very slight (non existent) chance that Kane would consider Edmonton, the first person he is calling is Keith. And if the Oilers think Keith is giving Edmonton a 5 star rating, well all I can do is laugh.

No effing way in hell Keith is telling him to go there. But it doesn't matter, because he won't bother asking.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #499
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, the return that Gregor is proposing is beyond laughable. To get Kane at 50% retained, plus have them take salary back, would cost the equivalent of 4 1sts IMO. Gregor is essentially saying 2 1sts and a cap dump.

AND he won't include the 2023 1st. LOL. So 2 1sts, a couple years out.

Then. he thinks ARI will eat more salary for Edmonton's benefit, and will do it for a late pick and a middling prospect. LOL. If I am ARI, and Edmonton comes to me with that plan, I say: sure, I'll do it for Hathaway and Broberg.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #500
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Also, the return that Gregor is proposing is beyond laughable. To get Kane at 50% retained, plus have them take salary back, would cost the equivalent of 4 1sts IMO. Gregor is essentially saying 2 1sts and a cap dump.

AND he won't include the 2023 1st. LOL. So 2 1sts, a couple years out.

Then. he thinks ARI will eat more salary for Edmonton's benefit, and will do it for a late pick and a middling prospect. LOL. If I am ARI, and Edmonton comes to me with that plan, I say: sure, I'll do it for Hathaway and Broberg.

Everyone wants to play in Edmonton, absolutely everyone. God what a joke. This will never ever happen, but I wish with all my heart it would,

2023 1st, 2024 1st, Foegele, Bouchard to Chi

Holloway, Pulijarvi to AZ

Kane to Edm
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough