Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon46 Canucks bring in Dale Tallon as senior adviser

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-front-office/

Quote:
Tallon was most recently GM of the Panthers from 2010 to '20. He added the president of hockey operations title from 2017 to '20.

The former NHL defenceman made history in 1970 as the Canucks' first-ever selection at an NHL Draft.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why this guy keeps on getting work. He seems pretty good at identifying amateur talent but that's where it ends.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

He built pretty good teams in Chicago and Florida.

Not sure what you are on about.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
He built pretty good teams in Chicago and Florida.

Not sure what you are on about.
As I said he seems to be a good judge of amateur talent. As a GM he's kind of a bumbling idiot. The Panthers really took off under Zito as did the Hawks when he was replaced.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's great at building a team but can't finish the job. Happened both in Chicago and Florida. Went all in too soon and for example screwed the Panthers totally with that Bob contract. Plus he has complete tunnel vision regarding his own guys he's drafted.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To be fair, his resume is pretty decent
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jim Rutherford bringing in legit hockey people.

It’s not that different than when we brought in Burke to give some legitimacy and a different direction. It also teaches everyone how to be a professional. I like it.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
He's great at building a team but can't finish the job. Happened both in Chicago and Florida. Went all in too soon and for example screwed the Panthers totally with that Bob contract. Plus he has complete tunnel vision regarding his own guys he's drafted.
Don't forget the the fax machine blunder under his watch in Chicago. He has a great eye for amature talent but he's the Benny Hill of GM's. I got so tired of seeing his smug face draft lottery after draft lottery. I'm not sure it's a skill that he ran his team so bad that they got to draft Huberdeau, Barkov, and Ekblad in four seasons as that's Oilers style failing into high draft picks. Once he does accumulate enough talent by being bad for a long period of time he ruins things with horrible moves;

-Dave Bolland 5 year $27 million contract
-Kieth Yandle 7 year $44 million contract
-Sergei Bobrovsky 7 year $70 million contract
-Losing both Marchessault and Reilly Smith for nothing in the expansion draft
-traded Nick Blugstad and Jared McCann to the Penguins for a bag of pucks

Treliving has made his share of bad moves but could you imagine if he had made moves like this? They guy is a terrible GM and it's no coincidence that the Panthers turned into a powerhouse the moment he was fired and replaced with a competent GM.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don't forget the the fax machine blunder under his watch in Chicago. He has a great eye for amature talent but he's the Benny Hill of GM's. I got so tired of seeing his smug face draft lottery after draft lottery. I'm not sure it's a skill that he ran his team so bad that they got to draft Huberdeau, Barkov, and Ekblad in four seasons as that's Oilers style failing into high draft picks. Once he does accumulate enough talent by being bad for a long period of time he ruins things with horrible moves;

Treliving has made his share of bad moves but could you imagine if he had made moves like this? They guy is a terrible GM and it's no coincidence that the Panthers turned into a powerhouse the moment he was fired and replaced with a competent GM.
I suppose as a “senior advisor” he can’t make any of those kind of mistakes. It’s basically an admission that they suck at gauging talent and that they need a sounding board.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I hear it was Rutherford helping his buddy out by getting him a job in the NHL and that he won't be heavily involved. The more important hire is the Canucks getting Scott Young out of Pittsburgh.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #11
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Bolland deal was horrible the second it was signed, but he was Tallon's guy so totally expected. Goes to show the tunnel vision he has with his "own" guys, 5x5 for a player who was basically ready to retire. Same with Matheson who got an eight year deal based on maybe 20 games. Yandle wasn't Tallon's signing, it was done during the musical chairs they had in the office when he got "promoted" to a president's role and the calculator guys took over.

The March & Smith case was probably his biggest blunder, Smith was horrible that year and again not "his guy" but still just to dump him he needed to attach March who was coming off a 30 goal year. And then he went on to protect Petrovic Talk about another level of terrible.

Bob was a huge mistake but at least you could justify it somehow based on goaltending being a huge need for them at that point and seemingly the final piece to the puzzle.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
From what I hear it was Rutherford helping his buddy out by getting him a job in the NHL and that he won't be heavily involved. The more important hire is the Canucks getting Scott Young out of Pittsburgh.
Who is Scott Young?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Who is Scott Young?
He was director of player personal for the Penguins and will have same role with the Canucks
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Your Vancouver Canucks Penguins Western Branch

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
Shazam
Franchise Player