Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #1921
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need more hero's, this could have been like the Bataclan theatre massacre in Paris
Quote:
A tip from a 'hero citizen' thwarted a mass shooting planned for July 4 celebration in Richmond, Virginia, police say. The "hero" tipster overheard a conversation that a mass shooting was being planned for the celebration at the Dogwood Dell amphitheater and called that information into police on July 1, said Richmond Police Chief Gerald Smith during a news conference. The amphitheater seats 2,400 people, according to the city's website. The same day as the tip, police went to a residence at the 1000 block of Columbia Ave. where they found the weapons and ammunition. In total, police found two assault rifles, one handgun and 223 rounds of ammunition at the home, Smith said.
One man was arrested Friday and police put surveillance on a second person, who was arrested Tuesday, the chief said. Both suspects have been charged with being non-citizens in possession of a firearm.

"They were planning to, actually, shoot up our Fourth of July celebration," Smith said. "We know what their intent is but we don't have their motive, we do know that they lived at the same location."
Both men are being held without bond at the Richmond City Jail, Smith said.
richmond-virginia-tip-mass-shooting-thwarted
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:57 AM   #1922
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well everything seems to be going well in America. I cant wait till they bring back duels like the old west.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:01 AM   #1923
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not to trying to justify anything but didn't his son die overdosing on drugs? I assume it was a drawn out process - perhaps shaping his view in those series of tweets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That seems like a guy dealing with some trauma and trying to make sense out of something senseless via absolutes. I feel sorry for the guy. Must be horrific to lose a child to an OD.

If not, there must be something else wrong with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
His stepson was an addict which likely destroyed his life and happiness for many years until he ultimately died and he’s essentially relieved (which probably leads to guilt), and yes he is.
I actually didn't know that about his step son.

Perhaps that's what triggered his fall into right wing, MAGA territory and the series of tweets above.

Regardless, given the new information about his step-son I stand by my statement that he needs help. All the more reason actually.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #1924
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I actually didn't know that about his step son.

Perhaps that's what triggered his fall into right wing, MAGA territory and the series of tweets above.

Regardless, given the new information about his step-son I stand by my statement that he needs help. All the more reason actually.
His point is that there's no way to stop people from their choices, I think. If someone is in bad shape from drugs and or mental health issues there's no magic fix and if they don't want to get help you can't force them too. I'm watching this with a family member right now and there's literally nothing you can do but watch. The system only deals with the results of actions but there is nothing that can be forced proactively.

I feel his frustration.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #1925
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is not normal and little kids should not have to deal with this.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #1926
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
This is not normal and little kids should not have to deal with this.

Sadly, in America its becoming very normal.

I'd have sent the Umpire to investigate. He's got that snazzy chest-protector on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #1927
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's like the scene from Sicario where the kids are playing soccer and gunshots erupt

So sad to watch
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #1928
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy in the blue seems to be leaving himself as a bit of a target. Probably thinking better him than the kids so make the target easier if someone is sniping the field.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #1929
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The guy in the blue seems to be leaving himself as a bit of a target. Probably thinking better him than the kids so make the target easier if someone is sniping the field.
Not to mention, half of America probably has a grudge with Umpires so he would draw some attention.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #1930
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Extremely disturbing video of the Uvalde shooting. Every law maker should be forced to watch.

NSFW!

That kid walking down the hall at about 5:00 minutes in was lucky to escape with his life.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:37 PM   #1931
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Extremely disturbing video of the Uvalde shooting. Every law maker should be forced to watch.

NSFW!

That kid walking down the hall at about 5:00 minutes in was lucky to escape with his life.
It’s sickening to watch. I’m so god damn angry that those officers didn’t do their job that way. Makes my blood boil. There is nothing more sacred than a child’s life and they completely abdicated their duty.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:59 PM   #1932
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1548842538689339396
Old 07-17-2022, 09:12 PM   #1933
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also just happened to watch this. Pretty wild seeing what's happening on a nightly basis across multiple cities in the US.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #1934
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also just happened to watch this. Pretty wild seeing what's happening on a nightly basis across multiple cities in the US.
I met a guy here in Vancouver who works as a paramedic. He told me that he moved to Vancouver a few years ago from Miami. Although he grew up in Miami, his mother was from Canada and he was a dual citizen. I asked him why he would move from Miami to Vancouver and he said decided to move to Canada because of the gun violence and because he had that option.

I am not even sure if Miami is bad compared to other cities, but he said it was pretty common to be at home at night and hear gun shots in the neighbourhood. It would be so weird to live somewhere like that.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #1935
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Great. Here's that "good guy with a gun" story that conservatives will now jizz themselves over for the next several months. I'm glad the shooter is dead, but ordinary citizens shouldn't be the ones doing the policing. What a f***ed up country.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #1936
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I think some counties in Florida have secured schools now. I read that after the Uvalde shooting somewhere.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:10 PM   #1937
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Great. Here's that "good guy with a gun" story that conservatives will now jizz themselves over for the next several months. I'm glad the shooter is dead, but ordinary citizens shouldn't be the ones doing the policing. What a f***ed up country.
There's plenty of those instances of a legally armed civilian stopping a would-be mass-shooter, especially in the last few months.

It's just that this time it was pretty obvious what had happened right away and the headline included this detail (which is, to be honest, what most people read these days, not the actual article).
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #1938
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
There's plenty of those instances of a legally armed civilian stopping a would-be mass-shooter, especially in the last few months.
Well this is gonna be fun.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:26 PM   #1939
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
What’s the ratio compared to times when they didn’t?

How does that compare to the number of legal guns per person living in that country?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:58 PM   #1940
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

All I know is that with the normalization of mass shootings in the USA, not one American should ever pretend to have moral superiority or finger wave at any other place on Earth, ever.

No looking down your nose at anyone else any longer, warmongers.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: