Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #41
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Weegar is a rhs that plays left. I think we experienced what forcing it does a couple of years ago. Hopefully, we don't have go force history to repeat itself and waste a season in the process...
He can play both.

Pretty sure he played left with Ekblad, and right when with Forsling and Chiarot
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
He can play both.

Pretty sure he played left with Ekblad, and right when with Forsling and Chiarot
Yeah, it's not like Brodie who preferred playing wronghanded. I think Weegar was like a lot of LHD who end up having to play right side because of numbers. In that case, he played left because they wanted their top 2 D to play top 2.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
how do you say "no" to this guy???

mangshirtmain_87928534-w-20211001 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Si!

of Red!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #44
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
If Kyllington is over 3M...I think we should shorten the deal so that he comes in under. I would rather pay him what he is worth in 2 years if he keeps growing than risking a boat anchor. Still not sure if he is Gustavson or Brodie...
Can’t believe he’d be getting a contract like that after one real season with the big club. I don’t think he should be getting more than Zadorov who has a much more extensive track record.

Last edited by Goriders; 07-28-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 12:56 PM   #45
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It’s a strong group, but kinda hard to make good pairings as the best 3 guys are RHS.

Weegar-Tanev is an enticing first pair, but then we might as well write off OK.

Or run 3 ‘equal’ pairs:
Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-Anderson
OK- Tanev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Our Defense is our strength. Problem is we have 4 guys that could easily be in the top pairing.

I’d load up the top two pairings with Weegar, Hanifin, Anderson and Tanev and give then equal minutes. Third pairing Mackey or Kylington with Zadorov. Whomever has better chemistry with him.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Either way I think our D will be better than last year.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:01 PM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Kylington gets a 1-yr deal in the $2-2.25M range
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #47
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Mangiapane will get the exact same deal as Kempe. Numbers are almost identical over the last 3 years. 4 years 5.5 per.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 09:25 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think a lot of people forget how steady Oliver was before he got injured. Tanev was incredible, yes, but Kylington was making *very* few mistakes, and he was always getting back to fix the ones he did make.

Huge upside if he can find that again.
Oh hell yeah, I loved him before the injury. If Brad can use that injury to sign him long term at a small AAV, definitely do it. 4-5 years at $3mil AAV. Do it in a heartbeat. He'll likely easily make that contract look tiny in short order, imo.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-29-2022 at 09:28 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #49
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane's date coming up. I'm expecting something to get done this weekend.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1552798953472679942
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2022, 09:33 AM   #50
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This week will shed a lot of light as to what the Flames really have for cap space. I think this weekend is a bit early, but I expect Mangiapane and the Flames strike a deal before the arbitration hearing. Might even be minutes before that they get it done. He has 65 goals in his last 160 games played without getting a lot of PP time. So it will be interesting to see what he gets. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a deal with a 6 as the first number. Evolving Wild had 5.8 over 5 as a prediction and I would be perfectly fine with that, or matching Kempe's deal of 5.5 over 4 years.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #51
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect it will get announced on Tuesday or Wednesday. Save everyone flying to Toronto or New York or wherever these are held.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #52
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Ethan Bear would seem a low limit comparable for Oliver Kylington. Both players are 97 birthdays. Bear has 47 career points in 190 games played. He only played 58 games last year and did not dress for the playoffs. Canes still gave him a 1 year deal for 2.2 per year. Kylington has 47 career points in 168 career games played, and played in 12 playoff games last year. So there's no way OK is coming in at this number. Will depend on how much weight the previous season carries in determining this award or settlement which might end up around 3 per year. So between the two arbitration guys the Flames cap space could dissappear pretty quickly. If you want some term the number likely goes up.

I have a hard time looking past that skating ability which is rare on the back end. But he's also a slight guy who can put himself in bad spots which is very risky. This is the time to do a 5 year deal where maybe the first couple are fair or mediocre value, but the last few are high value if you believe in the player.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 08-01-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #53
USflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
This week will shed a lot of light as to what the Flames really have for cap space. I think this weekend is a bit early, but I expect Mangiapane and the Flames strike a deal before the arbitration hearing. Might even be minutes before that they get it done. He has 65 goals in his last 160 games played without getting a lot of PP time. So it will be interesting to see what he gets. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a deal with a 6 as the first number. Evolving Wild had 5.8 over 5 as a prediction and I would be perfectly fine with that, or matching Kempe's deal of 5.5 over 4 years.
Do you think Treliving is actually working on a longer extension? Or just a 1 year deal?
USflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #54
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #55
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USflamesfan View Post
Do you think Treliving is actually working on a longer extension? Or just a 1 year deal?
My guess is they are trying to work out a longer extension . If it comes down to the wire before arbitration then they will settle on a 1 year contract to avoid arbitration. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to the latter.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #56
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think he wants to figure out Mangiapane first to see what he has left and if there is enough to get a few years. He acted on Brodie and Anderson to lock him up when they showed they were NHL defenceman.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:57 AM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Ethan Bear would seem a low limit comparable for Oliver Kylington. Both players are 97 birthdays. Bear has 47 career points in 190 games played. He only played 58 games last year and did not dress for the playoffs. Canes still gave him a 1 year deal for 2.2 per year. Kylington has 47 career points in 168 career games played, and played in 12 playoff games last year. So there's no way OK is coming in at this number. Will depend on how much weight the previous season carries in determining this award or settlement which might end up around 3 per year. So between the two arbitration guys the Flames cap space could dissappear pretty quickly. If you want some term the number likely goes up.

I have a hard time looking past that skating ability which is rare on the back end. But he's also a slight guy who can put himself in bad spots which is very risky. This is the time to do a 5 year deal where maybe the first couple are fair or mediocre value, but the last few are high value if you believe in the player.
Oilers media claimed he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs but he was injured and in a walking boot for the entire playoffs and even at their post season media day.

seriously what's wrong with those guys, especially considering how it ended with him there.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #58
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Oilers media claimed he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs but he was injured and in a walking boot for the entire playoffs and even at their post season media day.

seriously what's wrong with those guys, especially considering how it ended with him there.
Thanks, I did not know that he was injured. It didn't make sense that the Canes would pay him that much if they didn't view him as being one of their top 6 guys.

I still think Kylington on a one year deal would get at least 15% more than Bear based on recency which favors Kylington. But in terms of overall career, Bear has played more complete seasons to date.

Company I worked for last year had a Leader from one of the Indigenous bands in Saskatchewan speak to us on September 30th. One of his comments was that they were ecstatic that Ethan got traded away from "Racist" Edmonton. I don't know Raleigh...but I would think Edmonton isn't anymore racist than it is on a macro level. But where the racism is directed likely is different. So an Indigenous hockey player there likely has it easier as it's less scrutiny in that market. I'm sure if you looked hard enough for it some jerk has likely cited OK and his ethnicity as the reason he's made a mistake.

Than again maybe it's my own racism and bias that is keeping me from being able to figure out what Kylington is as a player. There is a lot that I like about his game. There's also things that make me hesitate. If he had a similar season alongside Zadorov as he did with Tanev....I'd be a lot more convinced on him long term.

Tags
edmonton is no good