Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #321
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
aw balls, sorry to hear. You gonna brace up, and take it easy? Get the surgery?

Ran into Charlie today, up at the Powder Keg. Only chatted for 10 minutes.
He said he wants to install a chair annually, and that they've updated the ski maps online.

https://www.skilouise.com/wp-content...tBowl_2021.pdf

* Lower Juniper; His words "for you snowboarders" haha /Park laps
* Upper Juniper; to move people from the base quicker; utilizing the old Oly line.

And then he spoke to Richardson Ridge. I suppose that was in the LRP, but I guess Wolverine Ridge was ixnayed.
Charlie Locke? Jesus. How old is that guy? I thought he was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #322
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
aw balls, sorry to hear. You gonna brace up, and take it easy? Get the surgery?
I'll get the surgery, yeah. Third time's the charm? Well, first time for this knee, I guess... the question is whether I keep skiing or do something else. Maybe take up sledding, I dunno.

I'm just super pissed off. I keep going over it in my head and it makes no sense. I don't understand how I managed to do that much damage while still skiing. When I blew my other one I fell on it weird - fair enough. But this time, just the force of the snow at speed is enough? That feels unfair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Charlie's still at the hill a lot, as is Louise. They both ski occasionally still.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 02-16-2021 at 05:26 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #323
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is this your first post in this thread?

Awwwwwww, you’re relevant!
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #324
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'll get the surgery, yeah. Third time's the charm? Well, first time for this knee, I guess... the question is whether I keep skiing or do something else. Maybe take up sledding, I dunno.

I'm just super pissed off. I keep going over it in my head and it makes no sense. I don't understand how I managed to do that much damage while still skiing. When I blew my other one I fell on it weird - fair enough. But this time, just the force of the snow at speed is enough? That feels unfair.

Charlie's still at the hill a lot, as is Louise. They both ski occasionally still.
That sucks man...as someone who's gone through the tear the ACL and surgery route all I can say is just do your physio pre and post surgery. By the sounds of it you've already been down this with your other knee so I'm probably just saying crap you know and don't want to hear again but I can at least give you a positive story that after my surgery (2018) I've been able to once again ski and play hockey (as a goalie) so don't give up completely!

Also related but I I blew my knee out playing kickball...yes kickball...when I was 33 years old I blew my knee out playing kickball. Got my surgery done in Banff and the biggest reaction from the doctors and nurses was...huh Kickball, that's a first.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 PM   #325
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice for my snowboard. It's an old board, about 15 years old or so. It doesn't have a ton of use on it and is in pretty good shape.

I have recently gotten back into snowboarding after a few years off and bought a pass at Sunshine. Approx 10 visits this year and I have waxed and sharpened the edges twice.

What I am finding is that when my board may be due for a wax, it doesn't appear to track straight?? Looking at the bottom of the board, it doesn't have any real damage and other boarders have commented that it looks good in terms of Ptex.

Can my board be warped or damaged in some ways? Or does it just need another wax job?

I am going to replace it with something new and a proper board at the end of the season. I can do it now as it's not really a financial consideration but I have kinda had it with always replacing "Stuff" I have that is still useable. Clothes, electronics, sports equipment etc. I just figure I would get another 10-15 days out of it and pick up a nice board from a local shop.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:21 AM   #326
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

What board is it? Size?
Your weight?
Post photos of the base.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:14 AM   #327
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What board is it? Size?
Your weight?
Post photos of the base.
It's a 2005/2006 maybe a 2007 Lamar from Sportcheck. It's a 157.

I don't have any photos of the base at the moment but when I took it for a full tune in November, no issues with base and than I took it for a wax and a sharpen in January I mentioned it not tracking straight. I picked it up and than it seemed to be a lot better at the time. Today I noticed it a lot more after 3 days on the wax.

It's a little weird to explain, it's a combination of not tracking straight, fluttering a little and the rear end swaying a little.

Weight approx 190

I know it's a very low end board but I plan on keeping it until the end of the season to use it's remaining life after a strong season.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 AM   #328
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

A quality deck, should last a 100-200 days, and about 10 years. Has there been any edge delam? Closely check. If water has got into the core, that would explain the weird, flexing under load behaviour it exudes.

At that age, your deck is at it's expiry. It's likely lost its original pop, and it's not flexing uniformly.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #329
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A quality deck, should last a 100-200 days, and about 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
It's a 2005/2006 maybe a 2007 Lamar from Sportcheck.
Well there's the problem.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #330
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Search for "new snowboard" on Kijiji right now. There is a guy in Edgemont selling three brand new 2022 Lib Tech boards, one of which is a Skunk Ape. I have that board (couple years old, though) and it is awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 10:48 PM   #331
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone been to Lake Louise on day tickets with a kid who is aged 5 or less (i.e. qualifies as a "Tiger" - free ticket). LL's ecommerce portal doesn't offer Tiger tickets as an option, and you need the code that a ticket purchase gives you to reserve a spot.... so maybe it's all good and they don't mind if a few Tigers push their daily attendance over the notional limit, or it's a setup for an epic cluster; can't ride without a ticket, can't get a ticket without a reservation and a receipt, can't get a reservation or receipt online for that particular age bracket. I have emailed their support people as well but thought perhaps someone here has first-hand experience to complement that.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #332
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Has anyone been to Lake Louise on day tickets with a kid who is aged 5 or less (i.e. qualifies as a "Tiger" - free ticket). LL's ecommerce portal doesn't offer Tiger tickets as an option, and you need the code that a ticket purchase gives you to reserve a spot.... so maybe it's all good and they don't mind if a few Tigers push their daily attendance over the notional limit, or it's a setup for an epic cluster; can't ride without a ticket, can't get a ticket without a reservation and a receipt, can't get a reservation or receipt online for that particular age bracket. I have emailed their support people as well but thought perhaps someone here has first-hand experience to complement that.
Honestly, you should be fine as long as the adults have reservations.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #333
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Louise got nuked on last night, and it was an epic morning. Lotsa time spent in the white room. Hope others of you had a similar case of the Monday’s...
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #334
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kids have started skiing, and I'm trying to figure out if an Easter ski getaway is possible. It's on the weekend of April 3rd this year, which I know will be a crapshoot for weather and snow conditions.

Am I right in thinking that resorts like Kicking Horse / Panorama might have a chance of some man made snow? I figure Fairmont will be at too low of elevation to still have snow.

Keep in mind my kids only need the magic carpet and the easiest green chair / tow rope.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #335
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My kids have started skiing, and I'm trying to figure out if an Easter ski getaway is possible. It's on the weekend of April 3rd this year, which I know will be a crapshoot for weather and snow conditions.

Am I right in thinking that resorts like Kicking Horse / Panorama might have a chance of some man made snow? I figure Fairmont will be at too low of elevation to still have snow.

Keep in mind my kids only need the magic carpet and the easiest green chair / tow rope.
Definitely advise against KH, as you'd be confined to a single green run for the upper half, and that sound hellish. Plus that's their last weekend open.

I think you're smart identifying Panorama, and I'd add Kimberley to the mix also. For each, that is their scheduled second last operating weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #336
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just wanted to share a little experience for us blue-y/black-y intermediate skiiers...you know the type, love a few bumps, not super comfortable in the trees, but generally can ski the whole mountain.

I came back to skiing last year, and bought a set of Legend X75s at the Max Bell sale. Had a good season with them last year (about 25 days), and a few early this year. I had started dreaming of more of an all-mountain ski, but was a little nervous about handling bigger boards. But, on a whim, I took a flyer and bought a demo set of K2 Mindbender 99TIs from Monod's in Banff.

I skied them last week for the first time, and these are the skis I've been waiting for my whole life. They just chew up the groomers, and are super stable in crud, and even with my limited skill set, I was able to get some nice runs in the West Bowl. They are miles heavier than the Legends, but the effort is totally worth it. Had probably my best day on the slopes ever, started at 8:45 and went straight through to 3:30. They were just such a blast to ski.

So, the TL/DR version is...mediocre skier buys big boy skis, falls in love, and recommends others do the same. You won't be sorry, especially in Western Canada. Maybe if it's pure ice in the spring, the carvers might be better, but I'm not even sure about that.

Also, for sale, one set of Legend X75's. Lightly used...

Enjoy the rest of the season everyone. I know I will.

Last edited by Voodooman; 03-03-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #337
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

You likely won't have the snowmakers fired up for the last weekend of the year. Not going to gain any revenue and just wasting money to run them.

For Pano, it's +12 at the base here at the moment. Keep an eye on the overall depth at the village. If it drops below 40cm you're likely skiing on grass that weekend.

I've had some fun slushy Easter weekends here but they haven't had much depth for a base this year.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #338
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can anyone comment on how busy Lake Louise has been? Is it worth the 2 hour drive right now? Have a reservation to go out Sunday but just saw some horrifying pictures of lines on Facebook from last weekend. Seems like maybe their reservation limit is too high or not working that well?
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #339
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

last weekend was the worst of the year. I waited 1 hour to get on the gondola and the lineups were pretty bad.

Pretty BS about how much the lifties let their buddies cut the line, especially if they are taking up chairs as singles. I see a lot of Louise jackets out there having some great ski days and not working. Wait in line like everyone else... I'm not very polite about it on days like that.

That being said, if the snow looks good, I'd still go just for a nice day out in the mountains.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #340
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
Can anyone comment on how busy Lake Louise has been? Is it worth the 2 hour drive right now? Have a reservation to go out Sunday but just saw some horrifying pictures of lines on Facebook from last weekend. Seems like maybe their reservation limit is too high or not working that well?
I went last Friday. Hill wasn't busy, but it was a 5-10 min line up to get on a chair. There was no singles line, and no combining of groups onto chairs, so it just takes a bit longer to load. Once you were at the top, it was wide open.

(line system was much improved from my last visit in mid-Nov)
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post: