Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #8941
Leondros
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
For breaking the law? What if your neighbors are running a meth lab?
Because meth lab = having mom over dinner... Got it
Old 12-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #8942
Leondros
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Let's compare this to something simple like smoking.

So I cannot smoke in an indoor public place. But I can smoke outside 5 meters from a building and I can smoke near a person, 100 people can huddle together and smoke.
Non smoking people have to avoid me, I dont have to avoid them. I can smoke in my car, I can smoke in my house. And we know smoke from cigarettes is a health hazard

So A) could the govt ever ban smoking outside, in groups, or in my car or in my house?

B) if no, how does this differ from current COVID laws?
Interesting but I think that's far from comparable.

- In theory they could criminalize tobacco like they did with marijuana. So yes, it can be banned
- The health consequences of second hand smoke pale in comparison to the health concerns associated with the virus. They appear quickly and immediately and have the ability to overrun health care systems
- You know when someone is smoking, you do not know when someone has COVID
- Smoking is a choice, having COVID necessarily isn't
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #8943
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
What if your mom runs a Meth Lab....in her Motorhome....which is where she wants to have Christmas Dinner?

"You honour, I thought it was okay because Meth Labs are usually pretty sterile..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #8944
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Let's compare this to something simple like smoking.

So I cannot smoke in an indoor public place. But I can smoke outside 5 meters from a building and I can smoke near a person, 100 people can huddle together and smoke.
Non smoking people have to avoid me, I dont have to avoid them. I can smoke in my car, I can smoke in my house. And we know smoke from cigarettes is a health hazard

So A) could the govt ever ban smoking outside, in groups, or in my car or in my house?

B) if no, how does this differ from current COVID laws?
Well, once you leave your home one has the potential to spread a virus to other persons through normal happenstance. They aren't going to catch 'smoking' from you or your cohorts. Except maybe if you look really, really cool while doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Touché.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #8945
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What if your mom runs a Meth Lab....in her Motorhome....which is where she wants to have Christmas Dinner?

"You honour, I thought it was okay because Meth Labs are usually pretty sterile..."

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #8946
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I think if you choose not to comply with a public health order you're a dick. I think if you rat out your neighbours you're also a dick.
Would you report your neighbor for driving drunk?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
Old 12-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #8947
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great job quarantining Calgary. Shopping areas are absolutely packed not to mention the roads. It looks like a regular pre-Covid Monday.

What was the point of telling everybody to stay home from work, closing businesses and closing school early when everybody’s just doing their thing anyway?

Quarantine when convenient I guess.

Last edited by stampsx2; 12-21-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #8948
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Great job quarantining Calgary. Shopping areas are absolutely packed not to mention the roads. It looks like a regular pre-Covid Monday.

What was the point of telling everybody to stay home from work, closing businesses and closing school early when everybody’s just doing their thing anyway?

Quarantine when convenient I guess.
The malls are OPEN. They are not closed. I haven't went to the mall. I have no need to. But these posts of getting angry at people for doing something they are allowed to do is getting ridiculous at this point. Reminds me of that video of a store employee who got angry because the mall was busy (with people wearing masks). Um...if you don't like having customers who provide revenue for your salary, don't work there. Quit. Leave. Its really that simple.

Seems ridiculous to not allow any gatherings but keep malls open in my opinion (we're probably in agreement there)...but those are the rules. Your frustration at individuals is misguided in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #8949
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
The malls are OPEN. They are not closed. I haven't went to the mall. I have no need to. But these posts of getting angry at people for doing something they are allowed to do is getting ridiculous at this point. Reminds me of that video of a store employee who got angry because the mall was busy (with people wearing masks). Um...if you don't like having customers who provide revenue for your salary, don't work there. Quit. Leave. Its really that simple.

Seems ridiculous to not allow any gatherings but keep malls open in my opinion (we're probably in agreement there)...but those are the rules. Your frustration at individuals is misguided in my opinion.
Has anyone heard how or if malls are controlling the number of people. I have looked into it, because malls are a no go for me at the best of times (I hate them) but are the restricted to % of occupancy and if so how do they control it?

Old 12-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #8950
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post

Right so what’s the point of not being able to invite friends or family for Christmas? Is it all talk and everyone’s just going to invite who they want anyway? Might as well.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #8951
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Right so what’s the point of not being able to invite friends or family for Christmas? Is it all talk and everyone’s just going to invite who they want anyway? Might as well.
Some will. Yes.

I'm not happy with the way the restrictions have been implemented. Like, at all (go back to my post history, you'll see that I think its been implemented poorly) I think both municipal and provincial governments have been sub par. But I don't think its fair to get frustrated with Calgarians for doing things they're allowed to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #8952
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Has anyone heard how or if malls are controlling the number of people. I have looked into it, because malls are a no go for me at the best of times (I hate them) but are the restricted to % of occupancy and if so how do they control it?

Malls are not controlling occupancy. Just the individual stores inside the mall. So there are lots of people inside wandering around the mall, and lines to get into the individual stores. Totally ridiculous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #8953
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Malls are not controlling occupancy. Just the individual stores inside the mall. So there are lots of people inside wandering around the mall, and lines to get into the individual stores. Totally ridiculous.
OH FFS.

That is ####ing ridiculous.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #8954
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
You seem to have a particular beef with shopping. That's fine. Don't go. I'm not. Again - let's not make this about what we are allowed to but rather what we should do.
So just because shopping malls are open that doesn't mean people should feel like they can therefore have their friends and family over for Xmas.
Apply some basic common sense here, even if you feel the government isn't.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #8955
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's how an ICU doc in Edmonton feels about the challenge to covid restrictions in Alberta.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341071268750114817
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #8956
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Malls and business being open: risky, but good for the economy
Private gatherings being allowed: risky, and no benefit for the economy

I don't think it's hard to figure out what two things these restrictions are trying to balance.

The government wants money to be spent. It sucks, because I would rather see my family than go shopping, but what is this shock all about? Making the economy a high priority has been this government's MO for months and months. It's not new. To make that possible, given current circumstances, things like private gatherings and or group fitness activities are banned. That's the trade, not hard to figure out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #8957
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
You seem to have a particular beef with shopping. That's fine. Don't go. I'm not. Again - let's not make this about what we are allowed to but rather what we should do.
So just because shopping malls are open that doesn't mean people should feel like they can therefore have their friends and family over for Xmas.
Apply some basic common sense here, even if you feel the government isn't.
No i have a particular beef with people. Everybody talks about what a good idea quarantining is and how we have to do something about climate change but it looks like it’s only till things get too tough. Then forget it.

If it requires a lifestyle change then nobody will do the right thing. It’s all talk.
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #8958
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Here's how an ICU doc in Edmonton feels about the challenge to covid restrictions in Alberta.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341071268750114817
I dont blame him.

Granted....this is the system we live in. They'll get their day in Court and someone is going to cover it. For good or ill.

I'm just hoping they get a Judge with some sense to kill this in its tracks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #8959
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Malls and business being open: risky, but good for the economy
Private gatherings being allowed: risky, and no benefit for the economy

I don't think it's hard to figure out what two things these restrictions are trying to balance.

The government wants money to be spent. It sucks, because I would rather see my family than go shopping, but what is this shock all about? Making the economy a high priority has been this government's MO for months and months. It's not new. To make that possible, given current circumstances, things like private gatherings and or group fitness activities are banned. That's the trade, not hard to figure out.
Its not that its hard to figure out Pepsi. Of course that's what its about. But its whether that what it should be about. If it strictly for public health and/or getting the numbers down as fast as possible so that people can start living a bit more of a normal life (like we did on August), then the current restrictions and the ones implemented throughout most of this pandemic are frankly absurd.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #8960
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont blame him.

Granted....this is the system we live in. They'll get their day in Court and someone is going to cover it. For good or ill.

I'm just hoping they get a Judge with some sense to kill this in its tracks.
Yeah exactly. I wouldn't blame him at all either.

The stuff they are dealing with, while not being listened to, and being told by Jason Kenney in the last day, that they don't understand this virus, lockdowns, etc, has got to be incredibly exhausting.

Then they wake up and see that there's a court challenge because people are selfish.

Hopefully it dies quickly (I assume it will), but I start to wonder if this sentiment is growing. I've read some of the stuff being presented in court for this challenge, and I'm frustrated just reading it.

It must feel like such a slap in the face for these docs, nurses, respiratory therapists etc..

Last edited by AFireInside; 12-21-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread