Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 63.95%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 157 25.61%
Not sure 34 5.55%
Climate change is a hoax 30 4.89%
Voters: 613. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #2361
chedder
#1 Goaltender
 
chedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Cause the world is rapidly shifting towards EVs. We'll look pretty smart with the trillions we spent on public transit and not on nuclear energy, etc, etc once everyone is actually driving a zero emissions vehicle.
There is currently no such thing as a zero emission vehicle technically. According to this article it takes driving 30,000 miles to get to even with a tesla vs a rav 4 in co2 production.

How many people simply trade-in or end their lease at this point?

Point being, ev's aren't going to save the planet.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/are-ele...e-environment/
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #2362
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
There is currently no such thing as a zero emission vehicle technically. According to this article it takes driving 30,000 miles to get to even with a tesla vs a rav 4 in co2 production.

How many people simply trade-in or end their lease at this point?

Point being, ev's aren't going to save the planet.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/are-ele...e-environment/
Average vehicle life is about 200,000 miles so EV easily wins.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #2363
chedder
#1 Goaltender
 
chedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Average vehicle life is about 200,000 miles so EV easily wins.
I know it wins over lifetime. And someone will drive the used ones. Just saying it's no panacea for climate change.

Add in the infrastructure that needs to be built and I don't believe the effects on our planet will be drastically better.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #2364
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

I think a concern is, who wants a used EV until battery replacement issues are ironed out?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #2365
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think a concern is, who wants a used EV until battery replacement issues are ironed out?
Which issues? Tesla's have pretty good lifespans:


https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/...-battery-last/


The Nissan Leaf had issues because it didn't have cooling and cooked the cells. I think all new EV's have that sorted. A bigger issue is EOL recycling at the massive scale that will be needed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #2366
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which issues? Tesla's have pretty good lifespans:


https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/...-battery-last/


The Nissan Leaf had issues because it didn't have cooling and cooked the cells. I think all new EV's have that sorted. A bigger issue is EOL recycling at the massive scale that will be needed.

My understanding was that it costs roughly half the price of the vehicle to get batteries replaced on a Tesla after warranty.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #2367
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My understanding was that it costs roughly half the price of the vehicle to get batteries replaced on a Tesla after warranty.
Yes, they are expensive, I'm just not sure how common it is to need it. I believe it's in the $15 000 USD range.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #2368
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Exp:
Default

My buddy replaced the original battery in his roadster for $12000. That was 4 years ago.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #2369
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My buddy replaced the original battery in his roadster for $12000. That was 4 years ago.
Any idea how many km he got out of it?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #2370
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

I know someone that had their Highlander engine blow up (oil line failed) a new engine is $20,000. That is not typical and not a data point to be used when talking about average cost of ownership.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #2371
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any idea how many km he got out of it?

no idea. I don't think it was very much. He has had other Tesla's as the family car. Right now it's a Model X. This is his fun car. I'm pretty sure he upgraded to a larger battery as well.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #2372
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
There is currently no such thing as a zero emission vehicle technically. According to this article it takes driving 30,000 miles to get to even with a tesla vs a rav 4 in co2 production.

How many people simply trade-in or end their lease at this point?

Point being, ev's aren't going to save the planet.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/are-ele...e-environment/
Over time, Tesla & others will bring the emissions being used to manufacture ZEVs further down. Which is far easier to do than taking cars off the road.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #2373
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, they are expensive, I'm just not sure how common it is to need it. I believe it's in the $15 000 USD range.
I don't think the cost matters simply because they are rather reliable as over time every EV manufacturer will make more and reliable batteries.

What matters is that they are properly recycled. Which, according to Tesla they are. Not sure about the rest, but it seems an easily solved problem.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #2374
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Everybody buying EVs makes me laugh. Have you seen the best load of the average Canadian, and now they want them to buy brand. On top of carbon taxes?
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #2375
81MC
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

I’m not worried about EV battery recycling. The economics will move industry, just as we see with current batteries(95% apparently).

It’s the rest of the car I’m worried about, and right to repair. With such electronics heavy, systems integrates vehicles, the ability to maintain and repair non-mechanical components is questionable. It’s one thing to be able to source tie rods and wheel bearings when the vehicle is 20 years old, but it’ll be another to source any of the electronics needed to make the vehicle actually useable.

My faith in the market to provide long term support for these units is next to zero. Already, try calling calling Tesla and purchasing parts. Right to repair is thankfully gaining traction stateside, and it’s importance as we move to technological marvels on wheels is crucial to reducing the waste if a buy and trash market.
__________________
No, noIm not sloppy, or lazy. This is a sign of the boredom.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #2376
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Right to repair is a massive issue, and not just with cars.

Definitely something to be concerned about, and strange that it isn't more widely known about.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #2377
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Everybody buying EVs makes me laugh. Have you seen the best load of the average Canadian, and now they want them to buy brand. On top of carbon taxes?
I know all of these words, I just don't understand what you are saying.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #2378
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Yeah sorry, was on not completely lucid when I wrote that.

I meant to say that with all the debt that the average Canadian has, expecting them to buy brand new EV cars by raising energy prices to make gasoline cars punitive to use is ridiculous and really out of touch with the average Canadian's financial situation.

You hear stuff like this from the Liberal side all the time. Make it financially punitive to use fossil fuels so that people switch to electric. It's just not economically possible for most average people.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #2379
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah sorry, was on not completely lucid when I wrote that.

I meant to say that with all the debt that the average Canadian has, expecting them to buy brand new EV cars by raising energy prices to make gasoline cars punitive to use is ridiculous and really out of touch with the average Canadian's financial situation.

You hear stuff like this from the Liberal side all the time. Make it financially punitive to use fossil fuels so that people switch to electric. It's just not economically possible for most average people.
Well, everybody having their own car is probably something we need to get rid of anyway if we want to have a planet to live on, and really the best way to do that is to bring up the cost of owning and operating a car to better reflect their ecological impact. Which will mean much fewer people can afford their own car.

Obviously that's not something anyone in power wants to talk about.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #2380
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah sorry, was on not completely lucid when I wrote that.

I meant to say that with all the debt that the average Canadian has, expecting them to buy brand new EV cars by raising energy prices to make gasoline cars punitive to use is ridiculous and really out of touch with the average Canadian's financial situation.

You hear stuff like this from the Liberal side all the time. Make it financially punitive to use fossil fuels so that people switch to electric. It's just not economically possible for most average people.

They are/will offer up incentives for EV cars as well. Carrots and sticks will be used to drive up EV usage.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021