Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Netflix is starting to block subscribers who access its service using VPN services

Quote:
Netflix is starting to block subscribers who access its service using VPN services and other tools that bypass geolocation restrictions. The changes, which may also affect legitimate users, have been requested by the movie studios who want full control over what people can see in their respective countries.
http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lame.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

yeah, I think it happened about 10 days ago? I noticed I was back on CDN Netflix around then.

A little annoying. I think unblock.us has a page on how to set up a static ip and disable google DNS to get around it (but I can't link to it while at work, as it is blocked)
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hola stills works, not sure for how long though I suppose.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was only a matter of time, unfortunately. Netflix has always half-assedly discouraged this, even though I think that they didn't really mind it because it added huge value for their subscribers. Clearly the "industry" has started to put pressure on them to be more active in blocking it because it interferes with their old business model of selling content based on geography on a non-geographic platform.

It will be interesting to see how services like Unblock-Us respond. They'll likely find workarounds, but it may require a little more tinkering (blocking at the router level of the mandatory use of Google's DNS by the Netflix app, etc.)
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hardcoded Google DNS is relatively easily sidestepped by making a static route change at the router level. Unblockus has guides for this.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I was sure there would be a work around which is nice. Going to have to look into the steps on unblockus for this when I get home.

As long as I can still get my Pandora too...lose that and I would die. Literally.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, they could make this a non issue by giving Canadians better stuff to watch..
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I mean, they could make this a non issue by giving Canadians better stuff to watch..
The problem isn't Netflix. The rights to a certain show in Canada might be owned by a different entity, so Netflix can't buy those rights for Canadians.

With other services like Showmi and CraveTV coming onto the scene, we're likely going to see a lot more of this as well. If they're buying content to put on their own services, they're going to be pushing hard that any workaround holes are plugged.

Let's face it - the movie/TV industry (and the music industry before them) are used to selling content multiple times in multiple formats. Since the VHS > DVD > Blu-Ray upgrade model has run its course, the new model is licensing streaming rights to as many different entities in as many different countries.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
They can't. They need licensing agreements to stream the content in Canada and now with Shomi and Crave joining the battle there are going to be more competitors for content.

The content sellers may sell the same asset to more than one of them, but I'm not sure the one buying will want that - they will want exclusivity.

So any "interesting" content will now have at least 3 bidders, similar to how the US has Netflix and Hulu.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

We live in a world today that is getting smaller and smaller due to more people traveling the world, living as expats in other countries. It's time these "media" corporations recognize this and stop this archaic location based censorship.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
We live in a world today that is getting smaller and smaller due to more people traveling the world, living ad expats in other countries. It's time these "media" corporations recognize this and stop this archaic location based censorship.
While that would be great, they will only do that if they can get the copyright laws of all the countries to synchronize. And I can't see that happening anytime soon.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Netflix denied that it's a crackdown.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...n-on-vpn-users
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #14
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Netflix to "crackdown" on it. If anything VPNs add value to their service.

Its not like as a Canadian Netflix subscriber, I can decide to also purchase options for US, UK, or Zanzibar Netflix.

Its a one shot 8$ deal.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Hardcoded Google DNS is relatively easily sidestepped by making a static route change at the router level. Unblockus has guides for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Yeah, I was sure there would be a work around which is nice. Going to have to look into the steps on unblockus for this when I get home.

As long as I can still get my Pandora too...lose that and I would die. Literally.
Static routing to bypass the Google DNS can be easy on some routers but can require a lot more effort on others. I have a static routing table already set up and it was pretty effortless with my router. I had to set it up so that the Google Chromecast devices could bypass the hard coded DNS and actually access non-Canadian Netflix.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Netflix denied that it's a crackdown.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...n-on-vpn-users
The headline is a bit misleading, since in the article Netflix actually says, 'After users reported that their VPN connections were being blocked by Netflix, the company issued a statement saying that there was “no change” in the way it handles such connections, instead saying that it had always blocked VPNs when it could, and continued to do so.

“Netflix simply uses industry standard methods to prevent illegal VPN use,” the company said.'

So they may have simply changed something in their methodology which is now able to identify VPN use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Netflix to "crackdown" on it. If anything VPNs add value to their service.

Its not like as a Canadian Netflix subscriber, I can decide to also purchase options for US, UK, or Zanzibar Netflix.

Its a one shot 8$ deal.
Actually, the content companies are writing into the contracts that Netflix must make attempts to ensure the location of the subscriber.

So Netflix is being contractually compelled to at least try to block VPN use. To do otherwise would threaten legal issues.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

NetFlix Canada just isn't good content wise. I haven't logged in for a few months. I might take a look at Crave or Shomi and decide to change subscriptions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's my understanding that Netflix was always "VPN's are not allowed" *wink wink, nudge nudge* because, like sa226 said, it adds value and likely retention.

If they really were pressured by content producers, then they would do this, but they really have no reason to do it on their own.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's my understanding that Netflix was always "VPN's are not allowed" *wink wink, nudge nudge* because, like sa226 said, it adds value and likely retention.

If they really were pressured by content producers, then they would do this, but they really have no reason to do it on their own.

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/

Quote:
Netflix’ efforts to block geoblocking circumvention tools doesn’t come as a surprise. TF has seen a draft of the content protection agreement Sony Pictures prepared for Netflix earlier this year. This agreement specifically requires Netflix to verify that registered users are indeed residing in the proper locations.

Among other things Netflix must “use such geolocation bypass detection technology to detect known web proxies, DNS based proxies, anonymizing services and VPNs which have been created for the primary intent of bypassing geo-restrictions.”
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

HMA Pro is still working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: