Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #221
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017 Young Stars Classic: Jets vs Flames. 11:30 AM MT. calgaryflames.com

Steinberg mentioned early in this game that Parsons had sustained a minor injury. Any word on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #222
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zach Fischer had a great tournament. One thing I liked about him this last game was his presence on the penalty kill. Moreover, he is involved every time he is on the ice.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #223
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Healey had some great hits but other than that, I wasn't as impressed as you guys.. I guess he made some simple good defensive plays, but also out of position a lot..
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #224
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Healey had some great hits but other than that, I wasn't as impressed as you guys.. I guess he made some simple good defensive plays, but also out of position a lot..
Agreed.

I actually thought the most solid but unspectacular guy was Doetzel. Not sure he has NHL upside but he seemed more polished than Ollas-Mattson or Healey overall. Could be a good piece down on the farm.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #225
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agreed.

I actually thought the most solid but unspectacular guy was Doetzel. Not sure he has NHL upside but he seemed more polished than Ollas-Mattson or Healey overall. Could be a good piece down on the farm.
He laid some crushing bodychecks as well, and not by launching himself out of position, but by leaning on guys at the right time.

I don't know anything about him but he caught my eye today for sure.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #226
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very ugly game compared to yesterday. Lack of structure and fatigue was evident.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #227
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts on the tournament.

Guys that impressed:

Mark Jankowski (77). Not much needs to be said here except he looked like a man playing against boys. He’s ready.

Spencer Foo (15). Came as advertised. Great speed, smart player, and nice shot! Should be up with the Flames sometime during the season.

Dillon Dube (59). Smart player with way better skills than I thought. Good skater, good IQ, under-rated offense. Was pleasantly surprised.

Zach Fischer (48). Really liked his blend of skill and toughness.

Josh Healy (85). Loved his physicality. Didn’t hurt the team out there with the rest of his game.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (68). Really liked the quiet game he plays. Rarely out of position and doesn’t make many mistakes.

Rasmus Andersson (54). Thought he looked like the best defenseman out there and closest to the show. Could use a little more speed, but he just does everything so well.

Juuso Valimaki (42). Very composed. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was his ability to generate offense. Still, can’t believe he fell to our draft slot.

Guys with potential:

Andrew Mangiapane (88). Had flashes out there. Thought he looked out of place with Jankowski and Foo, as he was slightly behind the speed of the game the other two played. Could be just needs some more time.

Matthew Phillips (47). Slick little player, but he is tiny. Has a very long road to go, but he showed he can play at this level in the right circumstances. Needs two or three years.

Adam Ruzicka (63). Liked his size and smarts. Needs to work on his skating and adapt to the speed of the game. Definitely a nice skillset to work with.

Brett Pollock (60). Was ready to see him cut loose, but he came in and showed more than he has in the past. Still has that big body and decent ability, this camp he appears to finally be figuring it out.

Sam Ruopp (98). There was something about this kid that just caught my eye. Played a consistent game and was willing to get his body in the way.

Tyler Parsons (82). Was a little disappointed in his third period play in the only game he played. Looked good up until that point. Overplayed a couple of shots and that seemed to open the flood gates. I can still see why he is so highly regarded though.

Nick Schneider (70). I know it was only against the Canucks, but he looked good. Had good command of his angles and his crease. His rebound control is going to need some work, but he looked decent in there.

Lost cause:

Hunter Smith (71). Just can’t skate. Love his willingness to drop the gloves, but he just can’t do anything hockey related.

Ben Hawerchuk (97). Proof that hockey is not genetic. Really struggled with the pace of play. He could have been trying too hard to make an impression, but the one he did make was not good.

Mason McDonald (72). I try not to get too down on prospects, especially goaltenders, but MacDonald is a massive disappointment. Gives up too many softies.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #228
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

There's very little that Valimaki doesn't already do well at 18. More consistency offensively maybe. Otherwise thrilled with him so far.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #229
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

valimaki's offense i think was maybe underappreciated in today's game?

It looks like ultra low-effort stuff, but I noticed getting shots through, timing, driving at the right moments.

I dunno, hard to get any sense from a jabroni on jabroni squad game but I felt like he was easily Calgary's best defender out there.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #230
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bit too early to say that. I think Agostino's average to below average speed was his biggest downfall and I don't think Mangiapane has that problem. Mangiapane mostly has to fight his slightly below average size. I think Mangiapane has no chance of competing for a spot this camp but lets give him at least another year before we start to really doubt him. Agostino was what, 23 years old a couple years ago? Mangiapane is only 21. Skill, skating and smarts can get him there. I don't think he's a top prospect and our depth up front may be a huge roadblock for him but he's still go NHL upside IMO. I think he's currently considered a better prospect than Agostino ever was.
I agree entirely.

With Calgary not running into any cap crunch for the next two years, it'll be tough for him to make the team before then. Maybe when the team is forced to dump guys like Frolik/Brouwer etc to afford extensions for Tkachuk/Bennett, then he and a couple other guys may push themselves into the lineup. By then he may be passed by other guys in the organization, who knows. He will have to start making more hay in the A to force himself into the conversation. I am hoping he has a great year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #231
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

During that "Miked-Up" intermission piece I heard how chirpy Mangiapane is. Good to hear, as I think if he makes the show, it'll be as a bottom-six pest who can pop in the odd goal. Glad to see he's got good speed, he'll need it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #232
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dube sure is lightning fast and elusive. Could definitely see him having an Andrew Cogliano type career. Be interesting to see how his offence translates as he moves along in his career.
Dube is like a utility infielder - can play anywhere in the lineup that you need him and will get the job done. The motor is always going, and having players like that is always a good thing.

Andrew Cogliano is a perfect comparison. The dream would be more of a Brendan Gallagher, but he isn't feisty enough, I don't think.

Dube will be an NHLer.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #233
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am more in the Agostino camp for Mangiapane, I think. He is young and there certainly is still plenty of time for him to take the next step. But I am not convinced that he will.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #234
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have more hope with Mangiapane than Phillips for sure.. Phillips seems to try hard and lots of moves but doesn't accomplish much..

Also I wasn't as impressed with AOM as you guys were.. Seemed big and "there" but made some pretty poor plays at times too..

I was pretty underwhelmed this year for the young stars except Janko,Foo,Andersson,Valimaki
Old 09-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #235
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Parsons- would of loved to see him in one more game, team let him down but he had a bit of rust but you can tell he is going to be Awesome!!!!!

Janko- look out Vets he is coming!

Anderson- impressed with his offensive hockey sense

Foo- game one meh but was really impressed by the end of the tourney, fast , physical, good hands, good shot.

Eat Bread- looking like he is developing nicely, needs to get a little faster.

Valimaki- I laugh when I read that his offensive game was disappointing, he is 18 and showed nothing but elite poise and offensive tools. What a shot and hockey sense! He is going to be with the big club in two years or less.

Dube- got better as tourney went on, a really good two way player who can really skate.

Phillips- with a few more breaks he could of had way more points, but this early on in the season I saw enough to see his elite skill. Really hope he makes team Canada for the world juniors this season.

Ruzika- came away impressed with his skill and massive size, needs to work on skating but for a 4 th round pick I can't wait to see him develop.

Healy- very very physical d-man, liked what I saw

Fischer- I was wondering why we drafted a guy who has passed in the previous draft, but came away impressed, a future Prust.

Hunter Smith- second round pick

Fox- man would have loved to see him in this tourney, hate we can't see college players.
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1

Last edited by Gaudreau is a Ninja; 09-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #236
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have more hope with Mangiapane than Phillips for sure.. Phillips seems to try hard and lots of moves but doesn't accomplish much..

Also I wasn't as impressed with AOM as you guys were.. Seemed big and "there" but made some pretty poor plays at times too..

I was pretty underwhelmed this year for the young stars except Janko,Foo,Andersson,Valimaki
I agree on Phillips - fun to watch, but I don't think he has the extra zip that a guy his size needs to crack the NHL. I'm rooting for him, but I don't think he has much of a chance. More hope for Mangiapane than him.

I also agree on Ollas-Mattsson. I don't see much there.

I do think that Jankowski, Foo, Valimaki, Andersson, Parsons and Dube are all NHLers in the future. Of those, I am least confident about Andersson. And of course, Parsons is a goalie, so... witchcraft.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #237
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah AOM looks like a long shot at this point to me. But hey, its early and you never know how polished he may end up looking after a couple years and some work on his skating. He'll have to prove something this year in order to get an NHL contract.

I agree on your last point. But really it shows how much of a crapshoot the draft and prospects are. You have the high picks that are good bets to play and then the rest are real gambles. I'll add Dube to that mix though, I thought he showed NHL upside for sure. NHL speed and stick handling but how his offense will translate is a big question.

I'll break it down like this

Guys who looked like NHLers: Jankowski, Foo
Guys who looked close to competing for the NHL: Valimaki, Andersson
Guys who looked to be good bets to be future NHLers: Dube, Parsons
Guys who showed glimpses of having NHL upside: Mangiapane, Fisher, Healey, Ruzicka

I mean we had what, 6 of our top 10 prospects there? And those were the guys who obviously stood out. I didn't watch the opposition too closely but it wasn't like any of their top prospects really wowed me either although I know VAN for example has Petterson off in Europe. But Jankowski looked far more impactful than Brock Boeser who may play for VAN this year.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #238
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I do think that Jankowski, Foo, Valimaki, Andersson, Parsons and Dube are all NHLers in the future. Of those, I am least confident about Andersson. And of course, Parsons is a goalie, so... witchcraft.
Agreed on that. Andersson has good hockey sense and skill but I just wish he was a half step faster. I wouldn't say his skating is going to hold him back but he'd much more easily project sooner into the NHL if it was a strength of his and not merely average for the NHL level. I think he'll be an NHLer at some point though.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #239
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed on that. Andersson has good hockey sense and skill but I just wish he was a half step faster. I wouldn't say his skating is going to hold him back but he'd much more easily project sooner into the NHL if it was a strength of his and not merely average for the NHL level. I think he'll be an NHLer at some point though.
A half step faster and two inches taller. I agree that he has an NHL career, but I don't think he has Valimaki's upside. Or Fox's or Kylington's for that matter. Very solid and smart player, but only good, not great, tools.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #240
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with this assessment. The great news is for the Flames that the top prospects all performed well. No unpleasant surprises or disappointments in that category.

Jankowski did himself a lot of favours in my view - he'll be viewed as someone who should make the team out of camp, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
My thoughts on the tournament.

Guys that impressed:

Mark Jankowski (77). Not much needs to be said here except he looked like a man playing against boys. He’s ready.

Spencer Foo (15). Came as advertised. Great speed, smart player, and nice shot! Should be up with the Flames sometime during the season.

Dillon Dube (59). Smart player with way better skills than I thought. Good skater, good IQ, under-rated offense. Was pleasantly surprised.

Zach Fischer (48). Really liked his blend of skill and toughness.

Josh Healy (85). Loved his physicality. Didn’t hurt the team out there with the rest of his game.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (68). Really liked the quiet game he plays. Rarely out of position and doesn’t make many mistakes.

Rasmus Andersson (54). Thought he looked like the best defenseman out there and closest to the show. Could use a little more speed, but he just does everything so well.

Juuso Valimaki (42). Very composed. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was his ability to generate offense. Still, can’t believe he fell to our draft slot.

Guys with potential:

Andrew Mangiapane (88). Had flashes out there. Thought he looked out of place with Jankowski and Foo, as he was slightly behind the speed of the game the other two played. Could be just needs some more time.

Matthew Phillips (47). Slick little player, but he is tiny. Has a very long road to go, but he showed he can play at this level in the right circumstances. Needs two or three years.

Adam Ruzicka (63). Liked his size and smarts. Needs to work on his skating and adapt to the speed of the game. Definitely a nice skillset to work with.

Brett Pollock (60). Was ready to see him cut loose, but he came in and showed more than he has in the past. Still has that big body and decent ability, this camp he appears to finally be figuring it out.

Sam Ruopp (98). There was something about this kid that just caught my eye. Played a consistent game and was willing to get his body in the way.

Tyler Parsons (82). Was a little disappointed in his third period play in the only game he played. Looked good up until that point. Overplayed a couple of shots and that seemed to open the flood gates. I can still see why he is so highly regarded though.

Nick Schneider (70). I know it was only against the Canucks, but he looked good. Had good command of his angles and his crease. His rebound control is going to need some work, but he looked decent in there.

Lost cause:

Hunter Smith (71). Just can’t skate. Love his willingness to drop the gloves, but he just can’t do anything hockey related.

Ben Hawerchuk (97). Proof that hockey is not genetic. Really struggled with the pace of play. He could have been trying too hard to make an impression, but the one he did make was not good.

Mason McDonald (72). I try not to get too down on prospects, especially goaltenders, but MacDonald is a massive disappointment. Gives up too many softies.