TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Teams do it all the time.

Also a Boras client:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/p...ontract-022916
There's two other examples in recent history of this happening to players of Sanchez's stature including Gerrit that I can think of. That's a far cry from all teams doing it.

Gerrit was given a $541K contract. The Pirates COULD have given him the league minimum of $507,500. The Blue Jays actually went and gave Sanchez league minimum.

I love the Jays giving it to Boras, the guy is a parasite, but this was the wrong battle to pick. The optics of it are terrible, and is it really worth rubbing salt on the wounds of your best pitcher? Had they just given Sanchez the original offer when they renewed it, you wouldn't be hearing a peep about this.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #1342
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Had they just given Sanchez the original offer when they renewed it, you wouldn't be hearing a peep about this.
This is Scott Bores we're talking about... he was going to make an issue about it no matter what. Sure, it might not have been this issue but he would have invented another one (most likely complaining that the courtesy raise wasn't big enough).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #1343
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Your reaction is exactly what Boras was after. It's a PR strategy where Boras is trying to make the Jays uncomfortable by bringing media pressure.

It's a non-issue that has become an issue by Boras' strategic move
Totally. Anyone who was outraged by it bought it hook, line, and sinker without thinking things through.

I don't exactly like how the Jays have approached this but I'm thinking from their perspective. When you're negotiating (and make no mistake... they're negotiating the minute Sanchez signed with Boras) with a guy like that, one of the options it to mirror what they like to do.

The Jays basically made a pretty big statement to Boras that they're not going to be tossed around the negotiating table. Boras' client paid for it. We'll see if it works out.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #1344
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's two other examples in recent history of this happening to players of Sanchez's stature including Gerrit that I can think of. That's a far cry from all teams doing it.

Gerrit was given a $541K contract. The Pirates COULD have given him the league minimum of $507,500. The Blue Jays actually went and gave Sanchez league minimum.

I love the Jays giving it to Boras, the guy is a parasite, but this was the wrong battle to pick. The optics of it are terrible, and is it really worth rubbing salt on the wounds of your best pitcher? Had they just given Sanchez the original offer when they renewed it, you wouldn't be hearing a peep about this.
The Cole issue was worse though, he effectively was offered less money than he made the year before as an allstar. Then the Pirates turned around and said take it or we give you the minimum

These are the two that blew up.... and they are both have Boras as an agent.

I think this happens way more and its just not blown out of proportion.

Its not a big deal.

He also isnt free agent eligible until 2021...
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #1345
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Multi year extension coming up for Gibby.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-gibbons-jay...nsion-1.702195

Quote:
Manager John Gibbons and the Toronto Blue Jays are finalizing a multi-year extension that should be completed by Opening Day, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #1346
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Awesome, love Gibby.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #1347
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gibby's won me over. Still makes some stupid decisions, but he's entertaining as any coach in the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #1348
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team isn't that hard to manage, and Gibby seems like the right type of man for this group anyway.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #1349
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm indifferent to Gibbons. He doesn't stand out one way or another and doesn't tend to over-manage which is a pet peeve. Baseball is about managing egos, and he seems to do that alright, so why not?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #1350
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm indifferent to Gibbons. He doesn't stand out one way or another and doesn't tend to over-manage which is a pet peeve. Baseball is about managing egos, and he seems to do that alright, so why not?
I wouldn't want him on a younger team. He seems to be good with veterans (knows when to stay out of it, and knows when to crack the whip), but I think he's probably too hands off for a younger team.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #1351
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't want him on a younger team. He seems to be good with veterans (knows when to stay out of it, and knows when to crack the whip), but I think he's probably too hands off for a younger team.
Osuna, Biagini, Sanchez, Stroman, Pillar. All young guys who thrived with him.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #1352
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A manager does very little fundamental managing. That's the hitting and pitching coaches respectively.

Gibby's job is to manage the lineups and put the players in the best position to win the team ball games. He's shown he's more than competent at doing that.

I don't happen to believe that managers have too much influence on a team's record, but for the sake of stability I'm glad they did this with Gibby.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #1353
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think being an MLB manager would be the best job in the world. You get paid a lot to watch baseball and in all probability the less you do the better off you are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #1354
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured this would get missed in the WBC thread since most didn't follow that too close, but Stroman pitched the USA to a championship, throwing a no hitter in to the 7th inning before it was broken up and earned himself the tournament MVP honours.

Very well done Marcus. Should do amazing things for his already sky-high confidence.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #1355
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome.

If Liriano can be an upgrade on Dickey, and Stro can be an upgrade on himself, that rotation will be nasty. I don't expect Happ to win 20 again, but he shouldn't need to if Stro and Liriano can do the above.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #1356
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Estrada also looked good yesterday. If all things go well, the Jays should have the best starting rotation in the AL in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #1357
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Figured this would get missed in the WBC thread since most didn't follow that too close, but Stroman pitched the USA to a championship, throwing a no hitter in to the 7th inning before it was broken up and earned himself the tournament MVP honours.

Very well done Marcus. Should do amazing things for his already sky-high confidence.
Much appreciation to The Score app noticfication wording for a near heart attack.

"Marcus Stroman pulled from WBC after......"
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #1358
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Starters announced:

Estrada (R)
Happ (L)
Stroman (R)
Liriano (L)
Sanchez (R)
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #1359
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Starters announced:

Estrada (R)
Happ (L)
Stroman (R)
Liriano (L)
Sanchez (R)
That's pretty much the optimal way to order them. Alternating L/R where you can and the one R/R combo features righties with radically different approaches.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #1360
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ahhh seeing the pitching rotation makes me so pumped up for the season to start!!

I love that righty lefty alternation and I hope Estrada's back issues are firmly in the rear view mirror, despite the fact that he still pitched really well last season with that injury.

I am very excited to see what Stroman and Sanchez are going to bring this season. We all know how Stroman started the season last year but he really locked it down the 2nd half of the season.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote