Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #1001
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I know I was only 13 when our vice principal announced over the school intercom that there was important news from overseas. Calgary had been selected to host the 1988 Winter Olympics.

But the magic seems to have faded somewhat for a future games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the exact same experience. It is a very cool memory.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #1002
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I know I was only 13 when our vice principal announced over the school intercom that there was important news from overseas. Calgary had been selected to host the 1988 Winter Olympics.

But the magic seems to have faded somewhat for a future games.
The 88 Olympics validated Calgary as a world class city. Now that that is established and there is nothing to prove it becomes a more business like decision rather than an emotional one.

Something along those lines.

I think a partnership with Edmonton makes a lot of sense, the cities are close and the only downside is that it might not help get Calgary an arena. Skiing at Whistler would be a big negative for the financial side of things.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #1003
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I came into this thread to break the news. One of them was on my flight yesterday and I overheard his conversation with an American businessman. He said he was IOC coming to evaluate Calgary's bid.

He said Calgary had a "strong" chance because they hosted a very successful '88 games.

So there's that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #1004
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we're out of the running for Amazon HQ2.

Olympics = Plan B?!?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #1005
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of updated / renovated / new sports facilities that benefit our community through hosting the Games. Calgary (and area) is a mecca for winter sports training and healthy living, and being able to serve the citizens with health-oriented, high quality facilities combined with the ability to more regularly attract international events and tournaments (speed skating, biathlon, figure skating, curling, etc.) would help several economies in this area. Calgary has a high potential to capitalize on the sports and recreation industries, particularly at a time when we're looking to diversify our economy.

This is also one of the more tangible, serious ways to get the arena /stadium issue sorted out too.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #1006
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the talk about it being a Nenshi 'legacy piece' is a bit baffling to me. He almost certainly won't be around as the current mayor by 2026. Who knows if he'll still even live in the city.

Klein was mayor from bid through to after Olympics happened - does anyone associate '88 as his legacy piece? Maybe they did in the early 90's before he did so much other stuff?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #1007
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
So we're out of the running for Amazon HQ2.

Olympics = Plan B?!?
Plan B for what? It's a two week spending spree against a permanent economic foothold and source of employment. What's the comparable?
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #1008
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
All the talk about it being a Nenshi 'legacy piece' is a bit baffling to me. He almost certainly won't be around as the current mayor by 2026. Who knows if he'll still even live in the city.

Klein was mayor from bid through to after Olympics happened - does anyone associate '88 as his legacy piece? Maybe they did in the early 90's before he did so much other stuff?
Klein wasn't mayor for the bid but was during the construction and hosting.
From word of mouth that is generally part of his legacy.

However, according to Frank King's book he was actually quite a hindrance to getting things done.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #1009
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
It wouldn't put it behind Nenshi, if anything just to stick it to the Flames owners.
How much power do you think one man who isn’t on arena negotiating committee has? And vindicative at cost of many of his constituents?

That’s some poor business acumen, to feel he’d act that way.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #1010
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Assuming Calgary also includes a twin arena with their fieldhouse, it would be about the same size and capacity as U of A's one would imagine since U of C would be using it. But when it comes to figure skating, it's one of the biggest events. I don't think an arena under, say, 8K would be suffice.

If Calgary hosts all the events, the Saddledome would still have to be used for figure skating. So even if this was a shared bid, and hockey games would occur in Edmonton, the Saddledome would still be used. Even if the IOC didn't like the quality of the venue.
Edmonton will get Curling and Short Track. Host 'City' would never give up hockey and figure skating.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #1011
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Andrew Brown @browncbc
The IOC views the Saddledome as acceptable for Olympic hockey and figure skating, according to director of Calgary Olympic bid Kyle Ripley.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #1012
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
andrew brown @browncbc
the ioc views the saddledome as acceptable for olympic hockey and figure skating, according to director of calgary olympic bid kyle ripley.
booooooo
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #1013
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

That should stop any talk from Edmonton being a part of this.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #1014
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The owners & the NHL just aren't getting any help in this. Too funny.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #1015
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Andrew Brown @browncbc
The IOC views the Saddledome as acceptable for Olympic hockey and figure skating, according to director of Calgary Olympic bid Kyle Ripley.
Hopefully in the same capacity the Pacific Coliseum was “acceptable”.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #1016
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Andrew Brown @browncbc
The associated article: https://www.tsn.ca/city-director-ioc...-2026-1.976428

Forgive me since I haven't been to COP in forever, what exactly about the ski jumping facilities make them unsuitable? Considering that the IOC is now saying that even the Olympic Oval is an acceptable venue as-is, what about the ski jump towers makes them so prohibitively expensive to doctor up at some point within the next nearly-a-decade for a few niche events that it's easier/cheaper to balloon security costs by moving it all to Whistler?

Wasn't the whole point of even entertaining the notion of a bid that it'd be cheap and reuse all that existing infastructure? If it can't do those things why put forward a bid in the first place?

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; 01-23-2018 at 12:50 PM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #1017
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post

Forgive me since I haven't been to COP in forever, what exactly about the ski jumping facilities make them unsuitable? Considering that the IOC is now saying that even the Olympic Oval is an acceptable venue as-is, what about the ski jump towers makes them so prohibitively expensive to doctor up at some point within the next nearly-a-decade for a few niche events that it's easier/cheaper to balloon security costs by moving it all to Whistler?

Wasn't the whole point of even entertaining the notion of a bid that it'd be cheap and reuse all that existing infastructure?
IIRC the Ski Jump the athletes can clear the max distance the one at COP is setup for.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #1018
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Wasn't the whole point of even entertaining the notion of a bid that it'd be cheap and reuse all that existing infastructure?
They are too small, and increasing the height doesn’t work because there isn’t sufficient room to build a longer landing zone.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #1019
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Also the jump was built in the teeth of the prevailing west winds.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #1020
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wasn't the whole point of even entertaining the notion of a bid that it'd be cheap and reuse all that existing infastructure? If it can't do those things why put forward a bid in the first place?
Considering they were barely suitable in 1988 because athletes jump into a cross wind, it's not big enough anymore. Our largest hill is the same size as the normal hill in Sochi.

They would have to redo the entire slope and landing area, and possibly move Canada Olympic Drive. Rebuild the seating area as it is collapsing and then you would still have the crosswind issues to deal with. May as well start over or send the event elsewhere.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote