Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default UPD: Calgary City Council approves exploratory bid study for 2026 Olympics

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...26-olympic-bid

Quote:
Calgary city councillors are slated to discuss behind closed doors on Monday whether there’s any appetite for entertaining a bid for the 2026 Olympics, Postmedia has learned.

A local group has been working for months to drum up support to bring the Winter Olympics back to Calgary, and will present councillors with a proposal on Monday.

With a looming deadline to submit an expression of interest to the Canadian Olympic Committee by the end of June, Monday’s meeting will mark the early steps in a possible bid for the Games, according to a Postmedia source.

“They need council support to be considered as the Canadian bid by the Canadian Olympic Committee,” the source said.

A potential bid would eventually go to the Canadian Olympic Committee, a group that would need to consider all bids from Canadian cities before deciding whether to submit a formal bid to the International Olympic Committee, according to the source.

“These are early days,” said the source. “This is really just about whether (council wants) to do this or not.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hopefully not unless it's shared with another regional locTion. Them games are very taxing on local infrastructure and city services.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

100% support. The games have been fantastic for both Vancouver and hosting another would allow us to upgrade our aging winter sports facilities.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As with CalgaryNEXT, timing simply horrible. Probably little to no appetite for big expenditures, especially to host the horrifying, abhorrent IOC. With a crap economy and taxes on the rise and the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not interested.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would support it. Would also be significantly cheaper overall due to the fact we have a large amount of facilities that would only need upgrades vs completely new facilities. Plus it would help to find the funding for other projects like CalgaryNext.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really young during the '88 games and had no idea the magnitude. I'd love to see them in Calgary again so I can truly appreciate them.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the Olympics are now, IOC corruption, known costs and potentially high risk of significant long term cost burdens make me 100% against another bid.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As with CalgaryNEXT, timing simply horrible. Probably little to no appetite for big expenditures, especially to host the horrifying, abhorrent IOC. With a crap economy and taxes on the rise and the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
I dunno. If the NDP is intent on blowing money on infrastructure make-work projects, why not the Olympics?

In reality though, I don't see this council biting - because of that aforementioned cost. We're a far different place than we were in the 60s and 70s when the city was looking for a way to step onto the world stage.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to infrastructure costs, ongoing usefulness of the facilities and the overall budget, the Winter Olympics exceed the Summer Olympics in every way. This has my 100% support.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't Calgary basically host the Olympics with the facilities they already have?

I'd love to watch some ice dancing at the old Corral with the Queen's stern look watching over us all.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Couldn't Calgary basically host the Olympics with the facilities they already have?

I'd love to watch some ice dancing at the old Corral with the Queen's stern look watching over us all.
http://imgur.com/gallery/z9kp1ML

Saw that the other day and laughed. Imagine if she went to the stampede!
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Instead of building new facilities, maybe build a high speed rail to Edmonton and use their new arena for some events. I'm not sure if the IOC would be OK with that.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am interested to see what and how much the infrastructure costs will be. Getting the c-train to the airport would be nice (so convenient when traveling to Vancouver and staying DT). Obviously a new arena is part of the upgrades as well as giving COP a huge facelift.

Not opposed to it but want more details on the cost and timeliness of the infrastructure upgrades.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #15
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason this will be interesting is the IOC is in serious trouble of not having any interest in upcoming Olympics. The model is entirely broken. If a more mutually beneficial financing plan were brought in, Calgary could benefit (again) from hosting.

Either that or we can get used to China and Russia hosting over and over again.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am not a Calgary resident but I attended the games in 88 and it was an experience that I will never forget.
The changes in Vancouver since the games has really increased the functionality of several parts of that city. It was truly a means to an end for several projects that would still be years away if it hadn't been for the Games. The cost may have been high but the legacy was worth it. I hope that they decide to support it either for 2026, or even the 2030 bid when that comes around.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #17
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

We could, to some degree. By 2026, most of these facilities will be over 40 years old, so some renovations will be required. And those still would not be cheap. Also, the Ski jump and bobsleigh/luge/skeleton track would have to be completely rebuilt.

An absolute must would be another 10,000+ seat arena. Basically, the Flames new barn. The addition of Women's hockey and expanded figure skating since 1988 is more than the Saddledome and Corral could support on their own.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #18
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
An absolute must would be another 10,000+ seat arena. Basically, the Flames new barn. The addition of Women's hockey and expanded figure skating since 1988 is more than the Saddledome and Corral could support on their own.
I'd throw curling into that mix, too. By the time 2026 rolls around, there will also be a mixed event, along with the men's and women's. It would likely be at WinSport, since the Continental Cup was hosted there two years back.

However, if they use Arena A/Hockey Canada arena, it also takes away an excellent venue for round robin hockey games.

https://www.winsport.ca/pdf/aic/aic_directory_map.pdf
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

support it, we have the facilities and it'll improve roads and transit

then host the 2026 world cup 4 months later

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I figure curling is already covered by the Markin MacPhail Centre. Short track could go to Max Bell. Father David Bauer could host those low interest round robin hockey games. Though that is just running on a budget. If money were no concern, a new 3-4000 seat rink to replace FDB would be ideal.