Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #3041
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if we put a second rounder in place of the first? So the trade was Mason and Schenn for Wideman and 2 seconds. Would that be a better trade?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #3042
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Like I said, have a deal in place so the expansion doesn't pick him.
Assuming the NHL allows those type of deals this time around.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #3043
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
What if we put a second rounder in place of the first? So the trade was Mason and Schenn for Wideman and 2 seconds. Would that be a better trade?
Why would Philly trade Schenn? Isn't he exactly the type of player they need more of?

I would do Wideman and a 3rd for Mason but that may be considered over payment by many. But I only do that if there is absolutely no other option. So may as well re-signing Ramo for a year.

Mason has 1 yr left on his deal so it would be essentially be a 3rd Rd pick for a stopgap goalie for a year and to rid ourselves of 1 yr left of Wideman, again barring no other option regarding Wideman as well.

So, to contradict myself, Wideman and a 3rd would be a waste. Go with Ramo/Ortio 1 more year.

I can't see Philly moving Schenn unless it was to upgrade. Not draft picks.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #3044
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^You obviously have no idea who Steve Mason is if you think Wideman and a 3rd in an overpayment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #3045
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly has lots of good young D in their system. No way they waste a roster spot on Wideman.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #3046
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
^You obviously have no idea who Steve Mason is if you think Wideman and a 3rd in an overpayment.
I have a very good idea of who Steve Mason is. I've always wondered why he's never in top goalie convo's as I've seen him play incredibly well. But he's simply mediocre. Very Mike Smith like.

If Mason had 2 or 3 years on his deal, and with a hefty price tag and obviously Neuvirth looking to be the guy when healthy, Wideman and a 3rd is where I would be aiming to pay. Wideman, like him or not, could very well help the Flyers.

But since both players contracts are over in a year, perhaps Wideman for Mason straight up and Calgary retains a portion of Wideman's hit.

But can you explain what you mean ?

Have you even looked at Mason's numbers?

Sub .900 save percentage his entire time in CB. His inflated .944 save percentage was over 7 games in Philly and a hot streak in CB the year he was traded.

.916 for 3 years in 11.

Sooo... What makes Mason worth more than Wideman and a 3rd from a team who has a logjam in net?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #3047
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mason has the 8th best sv% in the NHL over the last 3 years. I would love if the Flames got him but I think the Flyers are more likely to sell high on Neuvirth than anything.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #3048
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Philly has lots of good young D in their system. No way they waste a roster spot on Wideman.
This is true. They have a lot of solid young D.

I wasn't the one who originally proposed Wideman. I was advocating why we shouldn't be looking at Mason, and if we did and it involved Wideman, then that's the only way I could see it happening.

But agreed, Wideman likely wouldn't steal a spot from one of their current 6. Maybe Schultz..
Old 04-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #3049
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Are you sure you know who Steve Mason is? I would consider a 3rd an overpayment myself. I wouldn't take him for free, I'd rather have Ramo back at no cost.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #3050
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Are you sure you know who Steve Mason is? I would consider a 3rd an overpayment myself. I wouldn't take him for free, I'd rather have Ramo back at no cost.
Wow, fair one, he let in a bad goal. That totally proved your point. I mean, his career numbers over the last 3 years don't prove anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJ1532 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #3051
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We would've made the playoffs this year if we had Mason in net IMO. A career .916 looks pretty good right about now.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #3052
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If the Flames pick 5-7 would anyone be willing to pull a blockbuster with the islanders for their 1st, Strome, Hamonic? Obviously the Flames are adding big time to balance the deal out
I definitely would but the Islanders wouldn't be willing. Hamoic alone probably carries a value similar to that pick, but the Islanders are trying to become contenders so moving him for a draft pick doesn't make alot of sense. Their 1st and Strome is probably close to the value of our pick as well, but I don't think that makes a ton of sense for Calgary.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #3053
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Wow, fair one, he let in a bad goal. That totally proved your point. I mean, his career numbers over the last 3 years don't prove anything.
You mean is incredibly average numbers? And his almost as bad as Hiller numbers the 3 years before that? Mason is a bad goaltender and the Flames should be aiming WAY higher than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #3054
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You mean is incredibly average numbers? And his almost as bad as Hiller numbers the 3 years before that? Mason is a bad goaltender and the Flames should be aiming WAY higher than that.
Like who? If you're waiting for Treliving to trade for an indisputable top 10 guy, I think you'll be waiting for a long time.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #3055
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw Kiprusoff let in one worse than that against Vancouver, he must have been terrible too.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #3056
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mason was rushed to the NHL by Columbus, the guy only saw 3 AHL games. So he deserves a bit of a break on his time in Columbus, a rushed young goalie behind a bad team is not going to have good numbers.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #3057
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mason is not a bad goaltender. He has made 150 odd starts in 3 seasons, putting up average numbers(on an average team with mediocre defencemen). That does not support the claim that he's a bad goaltender, because he isn't.

He is an average goaltender. To mention him in the same bracket as Hiller or Ramo is laughable, they could only dream of being capable of putting up NHL average numbers whilst making 50+ starts.

And which goaltender should we target in your opinion, given that a career .916% guy is a bad goaltender and we should be aiming higher?
Old 04-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #3058
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Like who? If you're waiting for Treliving to trade for an indisputable top 10 guy, I think you'll be waiting for a long time.
Should expansion be announced then quite a few guys likely become available.

One of Bishop/Vasilevski
One of Andersen/Gibson
One of Fleury/Murray

I think Reimer is as good as Mason or perhaps better. Lots of options for Treliving out there.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #3059
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
does anyone know when the NHL will announce whether there is going to be expansion or not?
The expectation is, if there is expansion, it will be announced during the week of the NHL Awards in Las Vegas in mid-June. If the decision is made to not expand at this time, it will likely also be announced around that same time.

I believe there's a Board of Governors meeting held around the time of the Stanley Cup Final. The final vote on expansion and the expansion draft rules will likely be done then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Assuming the NHL allows those type of deals this time around.
I'm not saying it's a good idea, but there's no reason for the league to not allow those types of deals. If the expansion GM wants to make a deal that he believes will make his team better, the league shouldn't block it.

Even if the league did say that teams can't make side deals with the expansion team(s) to not pick certain exposed players, they wouldn't be able to prevent the team(s) from drafting that exposed player and then trading him back to his original team for the original deal.

Let's say the Flames find themselves in a situation where they have to expose Giordano in the expansion draft, but come to an agreement with the Vegas GM to pick Stajan instead and send Vegas Ryan Culkin and a 4th round pick for agreeing to do it. If the league blocked the trade before the draft, Vegas could just select Gio, then trade him back to the Flames for Stajan, Culkin and the pick.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #3060
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Should expansion be announced then quite a few guys likely become available.

One of Bishop/Vasilevski
One of Andersen/Gibson
One of Fleury/Murray

I think Reimer is as good as Mason or perhaps better. Lots of options for Treliving out there.
Other than Bishop, I don't think I would classify any of those guys as top 10. Mason is certainly close to the rest of them (and Reimer). I would be shocked if Treliving goes after Bishop, I think the cost of acquisition will be much higher than the other options.

Gibson intrigues me because of his potential but I think ANA moves Andersen before him, unless Freddy wins the Conn Smythe or something.

I think plan A is most likely Reimer. He's not much better or worse than the other options (aside from Bishop).

I just find it odd how people are treating Mason like he's garbage. He's probably the exact quality of goalie we should expect. Not quite a top 10 guy but still very capable.
Closed Thread