Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #3621
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Well when there are no acceptable answers, what would you like me to do?

Show me a list of perfect legislation.

One of your "simple questions" is asking to solve smuggling. Do you not realize how ridiculously unrealistic that is? haha. I mean this is the bar you're setting.
Right. I said it's basically unsolvable as the govt itself engages in this. But of course, don't touch on the other qualms.

If you want people on the pro gun side to see your way of thinking, at least show that you are indeed thinking.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #3622
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about we start with something that will save us all some time. What do you think is a reasonable way to restrict gun ownership?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #3623
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Id have a liscencing system for handguns and other arms based under a certain "X" length and thusly, concealable length as they make up the vast majority of firearm homicides in the US. And then I'd abolish gun free zones.

Any other arguments you'd like me to make on your behalf?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #3624
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why would you abolish gun free zones?
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #3625
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
You’d be subject to a background check at point of purchase, something Canada does not have.

In regards to the stolen guns, no fine or charges would be filed here either. It is completely legal to have firearms in an unattended vehicle
Yes and no to your first point. Let me change that to the gun show at the convention center this weekend. No background check. Now let me make a quick addition to walmart. I get the pathetic background check ( and it is pathetic as the system is deeply flawed with missing info etc) and hand the gun to my irresponsible son or friend in a private sale/transfer. Or perhaps as a gift.

I could be on a no fly list and other lists and it doesn't matter I pass the check. They also wouldn't know tHat I purchased a dozen guns on one background check.

Second point? And that's a good thing? Irresponsible gun ownership and storage should have consequences in this country, Canada and any other. Pretty much every responsible gun owner I know agrees.

Last edited by ernie; 10-24-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #3626
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

If your vehicle is locked and the firearm is out of plain view your following the law.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #3627
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
If your vehicle is locked and the firearm is out of plain view your following the law.
Vehicles weren't locked. But again it's not always a question of whether the law was followed but if there is a better law to be written that doesn't impact a persons rights but helps keep them out of hands you don't want them in and also promotes general safety.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #3628
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I missed that part of the convo. Do you think a locked vehicle and a firearm out of sight is insufficient?
Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #3629
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

A shooting in a church in Texas this morning.

Peter Baker
@peterbakernyt
Texas county commissioner tells @NBCNews "there are a lot of fatalities" at church shooting, estimating 24 dead. "The shooter is deceased."
Old 11-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #3630
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For #### sake.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #3631
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

the thread title should be changed to days when there isn't a mass shooting in the US...

"ongoing US mass shooting thread" feels like starting a thread titled "ongoing Sun Rises thread"
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #3632
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

It was in a Baptist church in a town of 1000.

Peter J. Hasson
@peterjhasson
Sutherland Springs has a population of less than 1,000. Imagine the impact a mass shooting is going to have on that community.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #3633
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

27 dead, 20+ injured so far
Old 11-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #3634
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

this needs it's own thread.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #3635
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #3636
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So depressing.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/28-dead-after-shooting-at-sutherland-springs-church/ar-AAutUSS?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #3637
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
this needs it's own thread.
Why? This is such a regular occurance it just make sense to put them all here
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #3638
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shooting spree in California today. I'm actually surprised this made the national news, since the death toll is only 5, including the shooter.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/cal...ngs/index.html

Quote:
At least five people are dead, including the gunman, after a shooting Tuesday in Northern California's Tehama County, Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston said.

Police fatally shot the attacker after reports of at least seven shooting scenes, including an elementary school, Johnston said. The violence started with an apparent domestic dispute, according to neighbors, and spread out with the suspect "randomly picking targets," Johnston said.

The Corning Union Elementary School District said part of the shooting spree occurred at Rancho Tehama Elementary School.

"This is a sad day for us here in Tehama County," Johnston said.
Quote:
At least one student was shot at the elementary school, and another child was shot in a truck along with an adult female, Johnston said.

Three children and an adult are being treated at Enloe Medical Center in Chico, officials said. Their conditions were not available.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #3639
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think it only made the news because one of the seven scenes was an elementary school. Some news outlets even had "5 dead in Elementary school shooting", so it looks like that's why it got so big so fast.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #3640
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, that is barely enough to get the pro gun advocates out to defend guns and barely last a few hours of coverage. The Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs massacres are already a distant memory of most Americans. We are getting close to the end of Survivor 35, much more important,and those Hollywood scandals? Wooweee!
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread