Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #3641
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if it's only 5 dead, do I still send thoughts and prayers?

Maybe just thoughts? Or prayers?

Wait, is this a big enough tragedy that we aren't allowed to talk about gun control for a week?

Man I'm so confused.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #3642
agulati
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's just sickening. Just sickening.

And the pro-gun folks will keep on defending their rights to bear arms.

Just sickening.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #3643
ernie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I missed that part of the convo. Do you think a locked vehicle and a firearm out of sight is insufficient?
In an area where it continues to happen..clearly. As does our Sheriff who is far from supporting any sort of gun control.

And conveniently the bulk of these crimes occurs to people with NRA or similar bumper stickers. So yes at this point it is clearly not only insufficient but openly being advertised...

Last edited by ernie; 11-14-2017 at 08:44 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #3644
calgaryblood
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care how often this happens, every shooting is as sickening and sad as the one before.

Really not fair to the victims and their families when people just look at the numbers of the dead to see if this is worthy of feeling bad.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #3645
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I agree, but at the same time, it is hard not to feel somewhat numb to these never ending incidents

I caught the tail end of a story that seemingly suggested that the families from the ssnady hook incident are suing someone (possibly the manufacturer) - I'd like tot hink that something like this could drive change, but I realize that it would likely be tied up in court for year, with appeals and what not - only one would would likely gain anything are the law talking guys
Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #3646
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The gun debate ended with Sandy Hook. There's barely even any point talking about it anymore. The US has made its choice, and it's probably not going to ever change. If Sandy Hook didn't do it, I have a hard time thinking of what would.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #3647
mikephoen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The gun debate ended with Sandy Hook. There's barely even any point talking about it anymore. The US has made its choice, and it's probably not going to ever change. If Sandy Hook didn't do it, I have a hard time thinking of what would.
I think it would take multiple attacks on high school and college football games, with really, really big death counts (100+). Probably in short succession, like back to back weekends or maybe three or four weekends in a row. With legally purchased guns and it would help if the perpetrators were all white. A female perpetrator would also likely help.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #3648
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Short of an attack on a bunch of senior Republican senators families I don't think the gun debate will happen while Republicans hold both house and senate.

Debate might get reopened after the anti Trump blue wave post 2018, but probably the US will spend most of the first two years undoing the damage Trump has done.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #3649
snootchiebootchies
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I think it would take multiple attacks on high school and college football games, with really, really big death counts (100+). Probably in short succession, like back to back weekends or maybe three or four weekends in a row. With legally purchased guns and it would help if the perpetrators were all white. A female perpetrator would also likely help.
Unfortunately, I think the opposite would be true -- several consecutive incidents where African-Americans with legally purchased guns kill many white people including children would probably get people from all sides talking about gun control, or at least on increased background checks. That's how crazy things are -- we have to speculate on which macabre scenario will finally wake people up down there.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #3650
mikephoen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Unfortunately, I think the opposite would be true -- several consecutive incidents where African-Americans with legally purchased guns kill many white people including children would probably get people from all sides talking about gun control, or at least on increased background checks. That's how crazy things are -- we have to speculate on which macabre scenario will finally wake people up down there.
Yeah, unfortunately I think you're probably right.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #3651
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mass shooting.
Quote:
Police say two people were accidentally shot at a church in Tellico Plains Thursday afternoon during a discussion about the recent church shooting in Texas.
http://wate.com/2017/11/16/2-acciden...ng-discussion/