Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #441
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just cancelled my 150 and basic tv, as my promotions ran out and retentions stopped offering good deals. I was paying $135 or so a month. Cancellation was $15 per month for 10 months.

I know have internet 150 for $60 a month for a year, no contract. I returned my equipment at their 6th and 3rd Ave SW location, I was the only customer. Since I owed them $700 for equipment and cancellation, so they just charged me my cancellation fees. I then said "btw I am also picking up a new internet box for a family member", grabbed my new modem and left.

I heard horror stories about the sunrodge location for picking up or returning gear.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #442
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I got an email from Shaw that I was upgraded from Internet 30 to Internet 75 "for free". When I looked into it, they got rid of Internet 30 and Internet 75 is the same price as Internet 30 was. I don't have any particular issue with paying $80 a month for internet since it's been very fast even at Internet 30 speeds and rarely has issues, and you also get the included wifi all over the place. I've been happy with it.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #443
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My two year plan with Shaw expires next July. Telus offers Internet 75 in my area, I could get it for $43/m for 3 months then $83 thereafter with no contract. Or it would be $48/m for 12 months then normal price on a 2 year commitment (w/ a $200 prepaid Visa thrown in). It also offers 50 GB more in monthly usage than Shaw's Internet 75 plan (and the option for unlimited data for an additional $15/m), although Shaw's plan is only $80/m. Shaw's Internet 150 w/unlimited data is also only $7/month than Telus Internet 75 w/unlimited data.

I'll probably just downgrade to Shaw Internet 75 next summer.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-03-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #444
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pulled the trigger on Bluesky TV as my first Gen Gateway is failing badly. Rep asked me if I was willing to re-start my two yr agreement on the Internet Service. Said that was fine so she reduced my bill by $15/mnth for the life of the contract and knocked a further $50 from my first bill. So cheaper bill and hopefully a better system = win in my books.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #445
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shaw: 'Hi, it's Jim from Shaw. I hope you are enjoying your Shaw 150 Internet package'
Me: 'Mhmmm'
Shaw: 'We have a deal that is great we wanted to offer you. Your 2 year commitment is up in August 2018, and for $1 a month, we will extend your commitment for an additional 2 years AAAAAND give you unlimited data.'
Me: 'Wait. Don't I already get unlimited data'.
Shaw: 'Well, yes...But the Dollar extra means that we wont call you after 800Gig download cap.'
Me: and I have to extend until August 2020.
Shaw: 'Yes, That's it!'
Me: 'C'mon....Seriously....Leave me alone.'
<click>
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #446
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't be serious, they actually called you to offer that??
Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #447
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throwin a bit of a Hail Mary here. Anyone in the Braeside area suddenly having signal issues with their TV systems? I assumed it was our original gateway system but it's happening on our new bluesky system too. It just started happening about 3 weeks ago maybe? Missed every episode of TWD since it started acting up. Shows up as skipping and freezing with lots of artifacting.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #448
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

On Bluesky here and zero issues. I PVR TWD as well.

I had a similar issue a few years back and discovered that my neighbour accidentally nicked my coax cable while planting a tree between our houses. The cable actually had water in it that froze in the winter, resulting in issues. The tech was able to see a problem with the line by testing it between the cable box and my house. And no, it wasn't inside a conduit like it was supposed to have been.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #449
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Throwin a bit of a Hail Mary here. Anyone in the Braeside area suddenly having signal issues with their TV systems? I assumed it was our original gateway system but it's happening on our new bluesky system too. It just started happening about 3 weeks ago maybe? Missed every episode of TWD since it started acting up. Shows up as skipping and freezing with lots of artifacting.

I am in Braeside, no issues here, other than I had to reset the main box everyday to watch anything on demand on the smaller box. Tech came and replaced all my equipment, appears to have fixed the issue.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #450
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much to my surprise, I found the coax on the main box was a hair loose (thought the installers usually tightened down with a wrench?) which got all the channels working but some still have some artifacting going on. Guess next step is to go around to every connection in between and make sure they are cinched down good.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #451
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Much to my surprise, I found the coax on the main box was a hair loose (thought the installers usually tightened down with a wrench?) which got all the channels working but some still have some artifacting going on. Guess next step is to go around to every connection in between and make sure they are cinched down good.
You can also get Shaw to come out with a drop amp and boost your signal inside the house. You'd really only want to do this though if you split too many times.

Your splitters also have a good chance of failing if you have any, I'd check each connection as those things are cheap and break every few years.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #452
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the installer, he removed all the amps we had. This was after seeing the signal issue and removing them did seem to fix the problem. I'll check all the connections are secure first and see how that does. If no improvement, Shaw will have to come in.

Just add this to the long list of reasons I'm looking forward to moving. I'd love to replace all the coax in my townhouse but it's linked to my neigbours somehow. Get into a detached house where it's 100% my responsibility and I can do all this on my own, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #453
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally updated our Shaw account today and moved from the Gateway system to Bluesky and upgraded to internet 150. Bluesky is a lot slicker than Gateway and I think I will enjoy using it. I like the Netflix integration and the easy search ability. One thing that I find strange is that for some reason PBS is different for us now. We don't have the Spokane KSPS broadcast and instead it has some other feed. This feed doesn't have some of the programming that I watch.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #454
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Finally updated our Shaw account today and moved from the Gateway system to Bluesky and upgraded to internet 150. Bluesky is a lot slicker than Gateway and I think I will enjoy using it. I like the Netflix integration and the easy search ability. One thing that I find strange is that for some reason PBS is different for us now. We don't have the Spokane KSPS broadcast and instead it has some other feed. This feed doesn't have some of the programming that I watch.
“Whaatt no This Old house, and antiques roadshow is the American not British version. Eff this!”

OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #455
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Did Shaw contact you or did you get some sort of deal to switch?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #456
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Did Shaw contact you or did you get some sort of deal to switch?
A buddy of mine who works at Shaw hooked us up with a deal. 2 year contract with internet 150, medium tv and the equipment rental was just over $115 per month including taxes. Can't go wrong with that price.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #457
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I called Shaw on Thursday as my bill was getting ridiculous. Internet 50, an old TV package that was equivalent to Large TV. My bill was hitting $250/mo with a few VOD movies here and there most months.

Told them to do better then a plan from Telus that was ~$130/mo over 2yrs plus a 4k TV. They came back with Bluesky for 3 TVs, Medium package, Internet 150 and home phone basic for $77/mo for yr 1, $135/mo for yr 2.

I am quite happy with that. Just need to remember to renegotiate after 2 yrs so my bill doesn't creep up again.

Last edited by Barnes; 12-09-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #458
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Just need to remember to renegotiate after 2 yrs so my bill doesn't creep up again.
Set a reminder in your Outlook or Gmail calendar.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #459
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Set a reminder in your Outlook or Gmail calendar.
Just make sure you put some detail in it, at least once I've put something on my Gmail calendar that when I read it when it came up I couldn't for the life of me remember what it actually was that I was supposed to do
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #460
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Slingbox is on the fritz again (the end may be near, I fear), so I am looking at my options for watching Flames games when not at home. I am curious about your experiences for those that do this.

Are there any blackouts or restrictions for Flames games on the Shaw Freerange TV service (both in-browser and on iOS)? Or will I have to use the Sportsnet app/site? If so, are the games on the Sportsnet Flames companion channel (302 for me) also viewable via Freerange and/or Sportsnet apps?

Finally, what sort of geoblocking is done, and is it done at the IP address level, or via the device's GPS? If I'm travelling out of region, I can easily send my traffic through my home VPN, but if it uses the GPS, that throws a wrench into it.

TLDR: Can I watch all games legally, one way or another, when not at home? And what are your tips and frustrations watching the Flames this way?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote