Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #241
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
If you’d like to believe that these same companies that have spent decades being forced to accept increased regulations due to the fact that they were not operating responsibly without them are now all of the sudden are going above and beyond what’s required instead of doing what is most cost effective to achieve the minimum requirements then that’s your opinion and you or anyone else are welcome to it. But please respect the opinions of those who look at the historic patterns and are not convinced. This isn’t about a gutter system.
Wow that's a lot of words in my mouth. I thought I'd interject because you and I are generally on the same side of most issues and I can sympathize with your position but if your point is that more can be done, well you've made it. If you want to spitball different ideas on how to move oil, maybe this isn't the thread for it. If you got to my second paragraph you would have read that I agree with you, just not about where the fault is. I don't think companies care to spend money on their self-regulation, but they do care to spend on the pipeline tech. The technology of the pipelines is as good as it can be and constantly being upgraded. How fast that happens is, yes, at the mercy of economics. But you can't uproot 1000's of km of pipeline to replace it with new tech every time there's an upgrade.

As I said, I don't think they do enough to self regulate in the way of hiring enough and proper training of maintenance staff, and I think there's a laissez-faire attitude towards safety in general. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the actual pipeline tech or the concept of it.

Again, I think for people like us, our energy is better focused on waning us off oil vs vilifying oil practices into non-function. Like a global health crisis. Is the solution to make McDonald's healthier? Or is it to get people to eat less McDonald's?

Last edited by Coach; 11-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote