Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #2021
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vocal quality in sports broadcasters is not really a priority for me. Half of the famous hockey PBP guys have weird voices. And content is way more important on talk shows.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #2022
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

In the near future, all of us will have a podcast.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #2023
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I give Steinberg a break, because the guy does genuinely have a passion for his job, and he's pretty professional at all times. At the same time, he doesn't take himself too seriously, and can take digs at himself. Does he have the most polished radio voice? No, but it's far from horrible. Heck, I'd argue he's got a better radio voice than Jim "dead air" Rome. Or that raspy smoker sounding guy Farrell or whatever?
Ferrall on the bench has the voice of an angel.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #2024
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vocal quality in sports broadcasters is not really a priority for me. Half of the famous hockey PBP guys have weird voices. And content is way more important on talk shows.
The idea of "radio voices" is more rare now. What mostly is looked for are people that have clear voices, but also sound like real people, instead of someone that can do a really good "radio voice".
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #2025
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
And for the record, I said I was in broadcasting. Yes, I did 3-4 years on-air in radio at the very beginning (not on community radio either; it was the number one station at the time in a mid-size market out east), but I got out of it because the money is so poor and moved on to film & tv where I can make a much better living.
A friend started off in radio in Swift Current. He was paid so little, he went to the boss, took off his shoes and showed him he couldn't afford new socks without holes in them, left the shoes on his desk and quit the job, driving home in his sock feet.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #2026
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A friend started off in radio in Swift Current. He was paid so little, he went to the boss, took off his shoes and showed him he couldn't afford new socks without holes in them, left the shoes on his desk and quit the job, driving home in his sock feet.
They sell socks with holes in them?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #2027
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
They sell socks with holes in them?
There's usually a big hole on the top.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to motorcrosser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #2028
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
There's usually a big hole on the top.
Damn, beat me to this obvious dad joke.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #2029
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And those shoes went on to belong to Barack Obama.
P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-DAZZLE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #2030
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the near future, all of us will have a podcast.
We’ll all get our food from Hello Fresh, our clothes from Indo Chino, and track the weight of our children using the free digital scale from Stamps.com. Use the promo code “SIMULATION” to save 3% on the your next purchase of $400 or more.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #2031
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
First of all if he’s giving away items I understand why he is poor and secondly sounds like he can afford gas.

Just kidding, it really does sound like radio personalities are taken advantage of via compensation. I’m looking at you Rogers.... pay your staff properly ya cheapskates.

I find it pretty gross when gigantic oligopoly enterprises in Canada don’t pay their staff well and Rogers is 150% in that group. Then there’s banks and railroads.

Pay your staff. Being a business needs to include employees as key stakeholders for the business. It’s actually pretty gross these organizations don’t pay more.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #2032
Seachd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not a Flames fan, but have listened to 960 since... well before Mike Richards, anyway. I can't remember exactly who they had in the mornings then, but I'm sure Rick Lafitte was one of them.

Here's how I see things from my end:

Molberg - Awesome.
Warrener - Awesome.
Pinder - Ugh. Generally alright and pretty funny. Just by far the most annoying in the morning. His analytics stuff and the sarcastic one-liners he uses to back it up - all stupid. When he stays away from that, he's fine.
Steinberg - Great.
Nault - Sucks out loud. Nothing redeeming about him. His attitude is terrible.
Klein - He's fine. Which means he's ten times better than Nault.
Gordon - Meh.
Loubardias - Harmless, and a great way to fill time using as few words as possible. The hard part is figuring out just what the **** he's talking about. I hate his habit of asking everyone non-rhetorical questions that can have infinite answers.
Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #2033
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Ferrall on the bench has the voice of an angel.
Every time I see an O'Reilly Auto Parts, it's almost impossible to not imitate Ferrall on the bench.

He's more of a hockey fan than most of the CBS Sports Radio personalities. He went crazy when the Penguins won.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 02:39 AM   #2034
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Not a Flames fan, but have listened to 960 since... well before Mike Richards, anyway. I can't remember exactly who they had in the mornings then, but I'm sure Rick Lafitte was one of them.

Here's how I see things from my end:

Molberg - Awesome.
Warrener - Awesome.
Pinder - Ugh. Generally alright and pretty funny. Just by far the most annoying in the morning. His analytics stuff and the sarcastic one-liners he uses to back it up - all stupid. When he stays away from that, he's fine.
Steinberg - Great.
Nault - Sucks out loud. Nothing redeeming about him. His attitude is terrible.
Klein - He's fine. Which means he's ten times better than Nault.
Gordon - Meh.
Loubardias - Harmless, and a great way to fill time using as few words as possible. The hard part is figuring out just what the **** he's talking about. I hate his habit of asking everyone non-rhetorical questions that can have infinite answers.
They're all 1000x better than Wills, he might not be a host but he makes me change channels when he's on.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #2035
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Absolutely incorrect.
In fairness, half the time he’s just yelling in the middle of a conversation!
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #2036
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Loubo is in fine form on XM/Sirius NHL Radio right now.

"I'm just going to say it, I love Geoff Ward. I miss him"
Cute. Maybe they can exchange email addresses and be pen pals over the summer.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #2037
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brutal take.

I’m having a hard time believing you’re the ‘high performing’ engineer as you have claimed to be. You repeatedly call people incompetent, or suggest they're idiots, who are in fields that I doubt you have any experience in. What do you know about incompetence in broadcasting, professional coaching in hockey, or managing a hockey team? How do you know these things while simultaneously being a high performing engineer? Astounding!!!! Are there other professions you’re also ‘high performing’ at as well? It must frustrate you to no end to be surrounded by imbeciles everywhere.

The smartest people I know, don’t need to tell others they’re smart or claim others are incompetent at their jobs. Especially when they’re not in the field in question. Whatever engineering school you went to, apparently self awareness wasn’t on the agenda. I get this is a forum where people can speak, almost, freely behind false identities, but try to pretend we are talking about actual human beings. Chances are, most of them are not incompetent.

It’s fine to be critical, but you tend to lay it on a little thick. Maybe take it down a step or two.
Sorry to have upset you with my take, but I won't apologize for the dumb jab at me personally, or at a professional level. Sorry you haven't done as well as I may have bud. It's 50/50 genetics and hard work. Got my fingers crossed for ya..

We're talking about the radio personalities. I never said I am a better analyst in this regard. Loubardias takes and arguments with other peers about Geoff ward, Kris Russell illustrate a pattern of getting beyond the personality and digging into the professional level results.

Also, let me know how I can help provide some tutelage to you. I am "astounding" (to use your description of me, no less)in my professional life, have a beautiful young family, and am still capable at being a flame fan. The fact that you are 'astounded' speaks more about you than myself.

Hahaha, hilarious. Oh, and I am smarter than you ��.

Last edited by bubbsy; 03-13-2021 at 09:35 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #2038
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Sorry to have upset you with my take, but I won't apologize for the dumb jab at me personally, or at a professional level. Sorry you haven't done as well as I may have bud. It's 50/50 genetics and hard work. Got my fingers crossed for ya..

We're talking about the radio personalities. I never said I am a better analyst in this regard. Loubardias takes and arguments with other peers about Geoff ward, Kris Russell illustrate a pattern of getting beyond the personality and digging into the professional level results.

Also, let me know how I can help provide some tutelage to you. I am "astounding" (to use your description of me, no less)in my professional life, have a beautiful young family, and am still capable at being a flame fan. The fact that you are 'astounded' speaks more about you than myself.

Hahaha, hilarious. Oh, and I am smarter than you ��.
Well you certainly took the bait, didn’t you? Would have expected more for someone so polished.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #2039
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just flattered that you find my high end ability in my professional life AND listening to sports radio "astounding". Again, I'd be happy to show you the way man.

I didn't take the bait. I know just how smart I am, your post showed me just how smart you are also. L
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #2040
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well you certainly took the bait, didn’t you? Would have expected more for someone so polished.
Eventually everyone realizes that arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig. After a few hours you realize the pig likes it.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post: