Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #2541
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sure are a lot of remakes for a new console launch. I suppose the costs of making games are so high right now that it's probably more of a recipe to make money by simply putting a fresh coat of paint on a successful seller than invest in a new IP. I love Demon Souls but I'm not going to shell out $80 for a hi-res remake.
Demon's Souls was the only actual remake shown yesterday. Out of 25 games. Everything else was a full new sequel or new IP. Sure though, lots of remakes...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #2542
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Demon's Souls was the only actual remake shown yesterday. Out of 25 games. Everything else was a full new sequel or new IP. Sure though, lots of remakes...
Spiderman cough..cough...but I suppose you are correct in that it's not 'lots' of remakes and more that some of the more attractive titles are remakes. I like Hitman but multiplatform games like Hitman 3 aren't system sellers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #2543
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

There will be a ton of remasters or updated games when it first releases for sure, just like PS4 and Xbox One. Games like Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. Definitely going to be hard to hold off playing some of those to wait for the PS5 re-release in order to avoid the double dip.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2544
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Sure are a lot of remakes for a new console launch. I suppose the costs of making games are so high right now that it's probably more of a recipe to make money by simply putting a fresh coat of paint on a successful seller than invest in a new IP. I love Demon Souls but I'm not going to shell out $80 for a hi-res remake.

I never buy games at launch, but if someone were to remake Freelancer with a modern engine and dynamic economy I'd buy that day 1. I thought that's what Star Citizen would be when I backed their Kickstarter, but then it exploded and Chris Roberts turned it into a pyramid scheme instead of a real game
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #2545
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
There will be a ton of remasters or updated games when it first releases for sure, just like PS4 and Xbox One. Games like Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. Definitely going to be hard to hold off playing some of those to wait for the PS5 re-release in order to avoid the double dip.
Sony has mandated that any PS4 game released between now and the PS5 release has to be compatible with both, and with Sony working to ensure that the vast majority of older PS4 titles work on the PS5 I doubt you'll see as many remasters for next-gen as we did this generation. The PS5 will be able to play PS4 titles with upscaled resolution and FPS, so unless you're making new game assets there is no point for a simple remaster
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #2546
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spiderman cough..cough...but I suppose you are correct in that it's not 'lots' of remakes and more that some of the more attractive titles are remakes. I like Hitman but multiplatform games like Hitman 3 aren't system sellers.
I would expect that the Miles Morales thing is a stand-alone expansion, like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. So they'll have a Spider-Man "GOTY" PS5 edition or whatever with all the DLC and Mile Morales included, or you can pay $40 on the store for just Miles Morales. Still, that component is a whole new thing, not a remake.

EDIT: Insomniac themselves confirm that Miles Morales is not an expansion or enhanced version of Spiderman PS4, but a whole new stand-alone game:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/spi...e-game.225622/

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 06-12-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #2547
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if PS4 digital purchases will transfer over? Just seems like a possibility given the digital PS5 that comes without a disc drive. And if so, I wonder how many games will be backwards compatible? I have a bunch of digital games in my backlog that would be fun to play on a new system like Bioshock Infinte, the Batman games, God of War, etc.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #2548
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am super excited for Demon's Souls - that was actually my fav of the series - liked it better than DS, which was also great.

When they say Remake, is it going to be like the RE remakes where they do more than a facelift? Or is it going to be just a remaster? Either way I think I will be picking it up.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #2549
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The most out of place thing in the whole presentation was GTA V showing up at the start. Given how widely available it already is on two generations of consoles and PC, it doesn't feel like a good way to introduce the "future of gaming".

Have they said Demon's Souls will be a full price game? I guess that depends on remake vs remaster.

If you're looking for a good remaster, check out Command and Conquer Remastered. Not only does it have C&C and Red Alert, but they also put in a bunch of quality of life improvements in too. That and it's cheap!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #2550
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I am super excited for Demon's Souls - that was actually my fav of the series - liked it better than DS, which was also great.

When they say Remake, is it going to be like the RE remakes where they do more than a facelift? Or is it going to be just a remaster? Either way I think I will be picking it up.
It's a pretty extensive facelift, from the looks of it. This guy has a good video with direct comparisons to the original game:

Old 06-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #2551
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's tough to say if it's a re-make, but it's clearly WAY more than just a re-master. The art is entirely new, as if done from scratch, not just re-mastered.

Here's hoping next gen Xbox does something like that with the Mass Effect games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #2552
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Does anyone know if PS4 digital purchases will transfer over? Just seems like a possibility given the digital PS5 that comes without a disc drive. And if so, I wonder how many games will be backwards compatible? I have a bunch of digital games in my backlog that would be fun to play on a new system like Bioshock Infinte, the Batman games, God of War, etc.

Yes, the games are tied to your Playstation account, so as long as the PS4 game is compatible with the PS5 the digital version will download and play. As for how many, Sony is committing to ensuring that the top 100 PS4 titles are readay to play on PS5 day one, and they will continue to work on other titles to make them compatible further down the road, much like Microsoft has done with Xbox/Xbox 360 titles on the One

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/p...aystation-6300
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #2553
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Rumoured size.

Why don’t we have a PS5 thread? Are we savages?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #2554
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Linus tech tips apology to a higher up tech guy he went.over some really intriguing things about ps5s memory and how that what Sony calls "best in class" memory is a game changer for gaming.

Essentially saying the amount of data transfer speeds from the SSD to your screen is a bottle neck. You could have the fastest SSD ever but its still going to lag as the data is tranfered out of the system. Sony have created a totally new architecture that organizes, prioritizes and preloads things on the fly. Essentially breaking the bottleneck.something even the PC master race won't see until windows allows it.

I'm guessing it may take game maker a couple of releases to fully utilize the power of this machine. Im torn though. My gaming desires have shifted recently and Xbox has 2 priority releases im want more than sonys offerings out.of the gate. And I have been and always been a mega fancy of Gram Turismo. But I'm not a die hard gamer anymore and forza I can drop anytime as a casual racing game where GT I can't give the time to it.

Dunno, weird times afoot. Series x or ps5...

Heart says ps5, brain says series x.

Hellblade 2
Forza
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #2555
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS5 is a lock for me, there was at least a half dozen exclusive games from its first presentation that I want.

Series X will have to do something really interesting for me. Like Banjo 3, Fable 4, cool new IPs... if it’s just Halo and Forza I won’t be interested, at least not at launch.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #2556
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

PS5, if you've got a collar you might as well pop it.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #2557
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The games that Microsoft has announced that do interest me I can play on PC so right now the PS5 is the only one I'm interested in.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #2558
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s kind of where I’m at too.

I thibk Gamepass Is great which leads me to want a Series X but more and more I’m thinking I might be better off getting a good gaming laptop and just doing PC Gamepass which will be a bit more expensive but is also provides more flexibility.

I’ve had every PlayStation system so I see myself getting a PS5 for sure though.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-13-2020 at 12:06 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:24 AM   #2559
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Demon's Souls is not just a resolution bump and some new textures. It's basically a ground up remake.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #2560
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Rumoured size.

Why don’t we have a PS5 thread? Are we savages?
Xbox 360 slim is definitely the most elegant of all these consoles. Not sure why Microsoft is moving towards these boring black rectangle designs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote