Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #61
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
the break-up penalty must be huge for the city of Abbotsford
They built a pricey arena, they need a tenant. It's a money pit but they made their bed, gotta sleep in it. 10-year deal, ouch.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #62
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might have been a bit better if the Flames hadn't of gone into Canuck country so arrogantly. The name was a bad choice and they should have picked neutral colours. It may not have worked anyway, but they sure as hell didn't help the cause.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #63
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
They built a pricey arena, they need a tenant. It's a money pit but they made their bed, gotta sleep in it. 10-year deal, ouch.
The AHLs version of Glendale.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #64
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine what that $1.66 figure would be without a permanent tenant? Yikes.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #65
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It might have been a bit better if the Flames hadn't of gone into Canuck country so arrogantly. The name was a bad choice and they should have picked neutral colours. It may not have worked anyway, but they sure as hell didn't help the cause.
Yeah, I never understood this. Sweetheart deal on the arena, sure, but to assume the long-term viability of a Flames franchise in enemy territory just has never struck me as a smart decision.

They could be making money hand over fist if the Heat just played at COP.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #66
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is pretty easy to explain the average attendance up last year, as the NHL lockout was going on for half the year. The AHL had a lot better talent than in regular years and people were wanting to watch any form of hockey.

The problem with Abbotsford is the location. It's an hour's drive from Vancouver. There aren't too many people who want to spend two hours driving and two and a half hours watching hockey, of a rival team. They can just stay at home and watch NHL hockey, either at the arena or at home. Even as a Flames fan out in Vancouver, I have no desire to go out to Abbostford to watch them play. Add in the bridge to get across the water is a toll bridge both ways, and I'll just hope Sven does well, earns a shot back up to the Flames and I'll watch him there.

As for residents of Abbotsford, I'm guessing most are canucks fans. I sure wouldn't want to watch the farm team of the Oilers if they were in my city. I don't blame them for not wanting to go to games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #67
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Imagine what that $1.66 figure would be without a permanent tenant? Yikes.
There wouldn't be a $1.66 million payout, cause it goes to the tenant (Heat). There would just be the operating costs on the arena.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #68
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I think Thunder Bay would work, again if they fixed the arena. I was there for work a couple years ago, and while it had some bad areas, I was surprised at how affluent and cultured the city was compared to what I had heard.

Fort McMurray would be pretty cool too.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #69
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
There wouldn't be a $1.66 million payout, cause it goes to the tenant (Heat). There would just be the operating costs on the arena.
You're right, I just meant the figure in general. The operating costs would be ridiculous without a permanent tenant.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #70
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kelowna would be a good spot, the rockets could move to Penticton, and the Vees could go somewhere else. Still an hour flight from Calgary.
DSIM420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSIM420 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #71
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
Kelowna would be a good spot, the rockets could move to Penticton, and the Vees could go somewhere else. Still an hour flight from Calgary.
Yea, I think you could be right. More Calgary connections in Kelowna than Abbotsford.

Still.... the more I think about it, the more I think Calgary could fully sustain all levels of hockey. COP could be an interesting venue for the Heat.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #72
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Yea, I think you could be right. More Calgary connections in Kelowna than Abbotsford.

Still.... the more I think about it, the more I think Calgary could fully sustain all levels of hockey. COP could be an interesting venue for the Heat.
I still think it is an uphill battle to put minor pro into established junior markets like Kelowna or Saskatoon. Different levels of hockey that attract different fans with different costs to owners. I believe its been mentioned that the Blades owner has territorial control of Saskatoon with the respect to their arena and he has no interest in the AHL. I imagine it would be similar in comparable markets.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #73
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Heat wouldn't be successful and would lose money in Calgary but may lose less money or be worth it compared to Abbotsford because the Flames could limit costs by pooling resources between the teams easier and perhaps save on costs depending on where the Heat play.

But the attendence would be pretty poor for the Heat.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #74
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What really makes having the minor league team in Calgary unlikely is the fact that the Flames own the Hitmen as well. So you'd be bringing in a competitor/alternative to 2 of the 3 teams that the Flames own. It might not hurt the Flames one bit but it certainly could and would eat into the Hitmen fanbase IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #75
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
Don't see that happening. Rockets are having trouble selling out this season with the best team in the country. They aren't going to move someplace smaller.

Also the Vees are well established and wouldn't just move to acommodate them.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #76
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Airdrie ever going to build a spectator arena of any size?

Airdrie is almost the same size as Medicine Hat now. It's much larger than Medicine Hat and Lethbridge were when their arenas were built. As far as I can tell, the biggest arena in Airdrie has a capacity of less than 500.

You'd think they could build something in the 5000-7500 seat range that would attract concerts similar to what they get in Red Deer, Lethbridge, and Medicine Hat. They could put the AHL team in this imaginary arena. It would (probably) be far enough away that they could make it their own team without cannibalizing from the Hitmen, while still close enough to pull in people from Calgary. The extra advantage is that players wouldn't have to move across the country when they got sent down or called up.

I saw/read an interview that Burke gave a couple of years ago talking about things that the Leafs take advantage of to attract free-agents even though the cap prevents them from outspending other teams on player contracts. One of the things he mentioned was the fact that the Leafs and Marlies both play in downtown Toronto.

I don't remember who it was, but he mentioned a European prospect who signed with the Leafs and one of the big deciding factors for him was that he could get an apartment in downtown Toronto and know that he was living there for the whole season whether he was in the AHL or NHL. I think it may have been Marcel Mueller ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=94087), who didn't amount to much with the Leafs, but that's not the point.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #77
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is Airdrie ever going to build a spectator arena of any size?

Airdrie is almost the same size as Medicine Hat now. It's much larger than Medicine Hat and Lethbridge were when their arenas were built. As far as I can tell, the biggest arena in Airdrie has a capacity of less than 500.
I can't speak for Medicine Hat, but Lethbridge got their arena because of the 1967 Canada Winter Games. I doubt it would have been built when it was otherwise.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #78
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The Heat wouldn't be successful and would lose money in Calgary but may lose less money or be worth it compared to Abbotsford because the Flames could limit costs by pooling resources between the teams easier and perhaps save on costs depending on where the Heat play.

But the attendence would be pretty poor for the Heat.

I'd go. In fact I would rather see the heat as more of the future is there vs hartleys line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #79
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Heat would move to EDM. They are starved for pro hockey.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #80
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jets are moving affiliate to Thunder Bay

RT @CBCNL: St. John's #IceCaps confirm that True North Sports & Entertainment is moving AHL franchise to Thunder Bay, Ont. after 1 more season #cbcnl
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:

Tags
abbotsford , canucks , heat