Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #21
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Love it Scorp ... and appreciate the effort.

I wish we could launch a poll with masks in pictures, but the software won't do it.
Shoot, I didn’t consider that. One option is I could make a blog post or something elsewhere and do the pictures and post the link on here. I’ve certainly got the time. I’m open to what you pals think! I don’t think I can let the idea of ranking Cooper, CCM and JOFA combos go to waste...
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #22
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaracci_31 View Post
Shoot, I didn’t consider that. One option is I could make a blog post or something elsewhere and do the pictures and post the link on here. I’ve certainly got the time. I’m open to what you pals think! I don’t think I can let the idea of ranking Cooper, CCM and JOFA combos go to waste...
You could post 15, and respondents have to "quote" the mask they like the best in a reply?!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaracci_31 View Post
Out of curiosity, what was the consensus when the Flames switched to the pedestal jerseys? Had they announced they were making a change the season before? I was just getting into hockey at that point and don’t really remember.
At the time I think they were well received - my 12 year old self at least wanted, and got, a Trevor Kidd one the Christmas after they switched to that - but I think they went stale fast, especially as we came out of the crazy new jerseys period of the late 90s. Probably didn't help the Flames went from contender to the dark, Young Guns era basically as soon as they switched. Which is when ol' Blasty basically supplanted it, and the new, then home whites that carried over into the 04 era.

I think in recent years with all the 90s nostalgia that they're looked at well again, if even in an ironic 90s way. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually make a 3rd jerseys or even throwback night return (but Blasty would be first, going by public sentiment).
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like number 3 the best still. i have the #12 LOOB in that style. classic
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #25
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You could post 15, and respondents have to "quote" the mask they like the best in a reply?!
Or have the first 15 posts one mask option each, and you thank the post you're voting for.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Or, simply, you have a thread with a poll with 15 options all labelled "1-15," and then in the OP you post pictures of 15 masks each labelled with a number.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your list makes no sense to me. The ones you have at the top are too similar to the current ones for the ranking to work.

I'd put the retros at the top, then the pedestals, then the current ones and the 2000s jerseys in whatever order, then all the alternates, with the "Calgary" western font at the bottom and I guess the heritage jerseys second last.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Your list makes no sense to me. The ones you have at the top are too similar to the current ones for the ranking to work.
With all due respect, I think you're dead wrong. The only similarities between the uniforms I have ranked dead last and the ones I have first are that they're red and white, they have the Mission: Impossible font, and, of course, the Flaming C. Everything else couldn't be more different. I'm not sure if you actually read the reasoning I gave (it's a pretty long post, so I don't blame you); in case you didn't, I'll condense it for you.

The Reebok Edge jerseys are messy, jumbled, and resemble cheap knockoffs of the '04 jerseys that came before them.

- They needlessly introduce asymmetrical shoulder patches, one of which is blue
- They took away the dynamic waist striping from the '04 jerseys
- They clutter up the front and back with ugly vertical piping
- They overstayed their welcome for almost a decade, and the basic idea for the jersey continued into the Adidas uniforms, which are also awful. I docked points for making me have to look at them for so long without changes.

Meanwhile, the '04 jerseys are clean and modern with contrasts. Nothing about them is busy, nothing about them looks silly*, and the shoulder patch is in line with the colour scheme. The waist striping almost looks like the mountains, or even a fiery volcano. But... they only lasted for three seasons, God knows why.

The reason I have the Reebok Edge jerseys so low is that they took a brilliant concept introduced in the 2004 jerseys and bastardized it.

*Depending on what you think about the shoulder patch

The same thing can be said about the Colorado Avalanche jerseys:

The top jerseys are what the Avs wore when they won the Stanley Cup in 2001. They're some of my favourite jerseys in all of sports. The striping is cool (it also looks like mountains!), the front is clean, and the shoulder patch works with the colour scheme of the jersey.

The bottom jerseys retain the same colour scheme, logo, and lettering, but they completely ruin it with terrible striping and a complete lack of personality. What used to be a clean-looking uniform now looks overly busy and the template resembles a default create-a-team jersey from NHL 13.

Edit: the Avs are also a good example of how those old jerseys can be beautifully repurposed for the Adidas template. Look at these: they're awesome.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 03-29-2020 at 06:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #29
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think home and away should be a combo.

1/2. Retro white and red
3/4. 2004 Home and away
5/6. 90’s diagonal Iginla rookie era
7. Horse
8. Third jersey that says Calgary
9. Everything post-2004 jersey blends together, so those home/away
10. Ronald McDonald Heritage Classic
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #30
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
At the time I think they were well received - my 12 year old self at least wanted, and got, a Trevor Kidd one the Christmas after they switched to that - but I think they went stale fast, especially as we came out of the crazy new jerseys period of the late 90s. Probably didn't help the Flames went from contender to the dark, Young Guns era basically as soon as they switched. Which is when ol' Blasty basically supplanted it, and the new, then home whites that carried over into the 04 era.

I think in recent years with all the 90s nostalgia that they're looked at well again, if even in an ironic 90s way. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually make a 3rd jerseys or even throwback night return (but Blasty would be first, going by public sentiment).
Hah! We’re not so different, you and I...I wanted a Kidd (or Tabaracci, they were both like superheroes to me then) jersey and my parents, in a shrewd move that I didn’t understand at the time, got my last name and #31. In conclusion, I’ll get to work on this mask list. You guys are all so rad!
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tabaracci_31 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ I was always partial to Chad Johnson's masks.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #32
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I think home and away should be a combo.

1/2. Retro white and red

3/4. 2004 Home and away

5/6. 90’s diagonal Iginla rookie era

7. Horse

8. Third jersey that says Calgary

9. Everything post-2004 jersey blends together, so those home/away

10. Ronald McDonald Heritage Classic
This is all correct

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #33
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the heritage 80s jerseys are a pretty big fad right now. they're nice, yes, but, i agree that the best were the 04 style red and whites. on the modern style better fitting jerseys they'd look fantastic.

the redesign was so unnecessary
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say my list would be more or less identical with the retros and Koho's switched. The current jerseys are just awful and need to go.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect/hope they would have gone full retro in the playoffs this year with a full-time switch next season. As such, I hope that whenever hockey returns, we will have seen the last of the flags.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #36
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

My rankings would be

1. 80’s white
2. 80’s red
3. 04 red
4. 04 white
5. Black horse head
6. Red pedestal
7. White pedestal
8. White adidas
9. Red adidas
10. 2011 Heritage Classic
11. White Reebok edge
12. Red Reebok edge
13. Cowboy should we wordmark abomination

Typing this list made me realize how many awful uniforms we’ve had over the years. I’d say only 4/13 of them are truly great jerseys, the horse head is decent, and the rest are pretty awful.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #37
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Respect for the time you took to write this.

For me the retros would also be 1 and 2. I like the old home whites the best.

I'd also bump the pedestals up a bit too. I like them more and more over time... mainly because of the shoulders on both but especially the red one I thought looked really sharp. Without the pedestal itself they would be perfect for the era. Same with the jerseys with the V at the bottom from the cup finals run... liked the red a lot more than the white.

Definately agree that anything with the flag shoulder patches is bottom of the list garbage.

I didnt mind any of the novel ones, the HC jersey, blasty or the wordmark but they would be below the 6 regular shirts I liked. Blasty jersey is ok but it doesn't merit all the love it's getting lately. The jersey color is nice but the logo is not great. I always wished they had used the fire breathing dragon The SJ flames wore instead of the snot rocket horse.

1. Retro white
2. Retro red
3. Pedestal red
4. Early 2000s "V" red
5. Early 2000s "V" white
6. Pedestal white
7. Blasty
8. HC
9. Wordmark
10. Anything with a blue flag shoulder patch
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I agree with your take on the pedestals, especially the red one (I actually own one that's signed by Iginla!). Those shoulders really are awesome and I like the red arm numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:50 AM   #39
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I want the Flames to go back to the 04 jerseys. It just looks so good and better than the retros in my opinion. I find the retros are to bright for my eyes.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameX For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #40
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Calgary Script Jersey. The Yellow highlights, and straight lines look sharp ( the same could be said about the 'retros'. I think that it is a jersey that will age well. In ten years or so people like the retro look. The same can't be said about the Rebok or Addidas jerseys.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote