Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Mr 1 playoff win was top tier? News to me. As soon as he leaves Carolina, they get better.

Calgary's season last year was close to as much of a mirage as 14-15 was, just for different reasons. It doesnt mean he's a good coach because he got to ride career years from half the roster in one season. The proof was in the pudding down the stretch and in the playoffs as things became tighter and more detailed oriented. He had no answer for teams with actual good coaches. Completely incapable of adjusting with the game, just like GG. At least those guys knew what a time out was though.
Was Gerard Gallant top tier when Vegas hired him?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #82
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
BB had always had positive things to say about the Calgary Flames, I don't think he would have any problem coming here whatsoever.
If BB came here and the results were still middling, at least he tried. The fact that the results were middling under mid tier guys just leaves BT holding the bag. If BB couldn't make these guys a good team, you know the problem is roster composition. Then you address that. Right now we are still looking for BT's first quality coaching hire going on 7 years. It's frustrating. Almost as frustrating as accelerating the rebuild to begin with. But now that the team's ceiling has been sacrificed to win now we could at least give the boys a great coach to back them up.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #83
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's coached an average to good roster to an average standing in the conference. Is that because or in spite of him, who knows.

When you an interim coach, when it's the offseason you stack them against the available options to determine if they are your guy.

The flames should absolutely be looking at the coaches available in the offseason to determine if they can get one of the top guys out there in my opinion.

Making the call on next year's coach would be dumb. It's not surprising Eric Francis would suggest it.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #84
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Was Gerard Gallant top tier when Vegas hired him?
I think more so than Peters and especially Gulutzan. Point taken though
Old 04-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #85
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If BB came here and the results were still middling, at least he tried. The fact that the results were middling under mid tier guys just leaves BT holding the bag. If BB couldn't make these guys a good team, you know the problem is roster composition. Then you address that. Right now we are still looking for BT's first quality coaching hire going on 7 years. It's frustrating. Almost as frustrating as accelerating the rebuild to begin with. But now that the team's ceiling has been sacrificed to win now we could at least give the boys a great coach to back them up.
Agreed. I think BB is the perfect fit here, keeping my fingers crossed.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #86
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I'd rather hire one of the list of available coaches, but I'm also sick of the turnover..

Ca we have a poll?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #87
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The assumption (and 12 page argument) would be Treliving didn't look into anything, when actually he tried, was turned down, but had little to gain to extend Ward with a press conference saying this is the best we could do.
Extremely doubtful, honestly. One thing that has been very consistent with Treliving's tenure is how often we find out that he tried really, really hard but just couldn't quite finalize a deal. Frankly, we will know if he tries for any of those guys and gets turned down.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #88
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is false, revisionist history. Treliving conducted an extensive coaching search leading up to his first hire, and it resulted in Gulutzan. One could argue that that search also produced Ward, since he was short-listed and interviewed by the Flames for their HC vacancy back in 2016.

Yes, my bad. For some reason I blocked out the GG search. Too much to drink while self-isolating.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BB's stellar NHL coaching career (most of these years with a stacked team, those Washington teams were as good as it gets)

Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Out of Playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 3
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of Playoffs
Out of Playoffs

Last edited by dino7c; 04-01-2020 at 08:47 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #90
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
BB's stellar NHL coaching career (most of these years with a stacked team, those Washington teams were as good as it gets)

Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Out of Playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 3
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of Playoffs
Out of Playoffs

Made the playoffs 10 out of 13 years?

This is a bad thing compared to what this franchise has done some how?

I dont get it.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #91
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Made the playoffs 10 out of 13 years?

This is a bad thing compared to what this franchise has done some how?

I dont get it.
If we are gonna criticize Peter's for a 107 point season and then blowing it in the first round its certainly relevant. BB had nothing but stacked teams in Washington and couldn't get them to the next level. His playoff success is very limited.

Those Washington and Anaheim teams make the playoffs with anyone behind the bench...his teams have under achieved. Last five seasons his teams have either lost in the first round or missed the playoffs.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-01-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #92
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Okay not 'smartest guy in the room'. How about 'often fails to make the best decisions, given the options at his disposal'. If he was choosing GG or BP over all those other guys, which it sounds like, I'm sorry but that's just piss poor decision making, even without hindsight. We have a flawed, unsuccessful hockey ops team, just my opinion. And that falls on him.

Decided we don't need top 3 round draft picks

No good coaching hires

Abysmal in UFA

Two decent trades in 5 years
- got a controlled asset
- who knows if he had any takers?
- who HAS been good at signing UFA’s? Also, Frolik.
- Two great trades
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #93
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Out of Playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 3
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of Playoffs
Out of Playoffs
Sorry, are you saying the guy with one of the best winning percentages of all time is not good enough for this team? That his playoff record just isnt good enough for the Calgary Flames? This is a franchise that probably has the most embarrassing 30 year playoff record this side of the Edmonton Oilers and we dodged a bullet? The team with 6 playoff wins in a decade?

Ya screw Boudreau, he's definitely not up to our pristine standards.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Out of Playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 3
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of Playoffs
Out of Playoffs
Oh please. The Flames haven't had a head coach remotely close to Boudreau's caliber since Darryl Sutter. Peters would have had to have about 6 successive seasons like last season just to get on the radar with Boudreau. Honestly why wouldn't he be interested in the Flames job? It would be the best roster he's worked with since his days in Washington. At the end of the day you can't hire him if you don't call him and he wasn't called the last time he was available and the Flames were looking for a coach and here we are three head coaches later with another opportunity to at least kick the tires on a guy that recently became the 2nd fastest coach in NHL history to get to 500 wins. Sure his playoff history is lacking but it wasn't all on him and getting into the playoffs every season at least gives you that chance to go on a run like the Blues did last season as they had been a graveyard for playoff success for some time.

https://puckprose.com/2020/02/15/bru...d-fascinating/
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #95
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
- got a controlled asset
- who knows if he had any takers?
- who HAS been good at signing UFA’s? Also, Frolik.
- Two great trades
Yeah I mentioned the trades. All originating from dumping a chance to get Barzal or Chabot, and a couple other 2nds. It's not like he turned chicken #### into chicken salad here, let's be honest.

If Frolik and his near uselessness for two solid years is the best you can do in 7 off seasons, yikes. Best to go on vacation July 1st if that is the case. 2 of 5 years were completely brutal. Even cost us the chance to get big term on Tkachuk. Not sure he was anything better than 'okay'

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 04-01-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #96
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, are you saying the guy with one of the best winning percentages of all time is not good enough for this team? That his playoff record just isnt good enough for the Calgary Flames? This is a franchise that probably has the most embarrassing 30 year playoff record this side of the Edmonton Oilers and we dodged a bullet? The team with 6 playoff wins in a decade?

Ya screw Boudreau, he's definitely not up to our pristine standards.
I'm saying if I had my pick he wouldn't be my guy...He has won in the regular season with stacked teams and choked in the playoffs.

Who said anything about the Flames past? BB coached elite stacked teams and had regular season success. When he coached a mediocre team in Minnesota he sucked. BB teams have underachieved for the most part.

No need to be a condescending ass either. If they are making a coaching change I will take a guy who has actually won a round in the last 5 years.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #97
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying if I had my pick he wouldn't be my guy...He has won in the regular season with stacked teams and choked in the playoffs.

Who said anything about the Flames past? BB coached elite stacked teams and had regular season success. When he coached a mediocre team in Minnesota he sucked. BB teams have underachieved for the most part.

No need to be a condescending ass either. If they are making a coaching change I will take a guy who has actually won a round in the last 5 years.
There was no nice way to frame that really. Its ironic that a Flames fan would turn his nose up at Boudreau's playoff acumen. Let's make the playoffs consistently, give ourselves a chance in consecutive years, and then lament our playoff failure if/when it happens. We would be lucky to have Boudreau's success in the playoffs. We cant even make them and when we do, we get worked over.

Sorry a little agitated tonight. Apologies if too abrasive.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #98
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was no nice way to frame that really. Its ironic that a Flames fan would turn his nose up at Boudreau's playoff acumen. Let's make the playoffs consistently, give ourselves a chance in consecutive years, and then lament our playoff failure if/when it happens. We would be lucky to have Boudreau's success in the playoffs. We cant even make them and when we do, we get worked over.

Sorry a little agitated tonight. Apologies if too abrasive.
Are you seriously gonna compare the roster he coached in Washington to anything the Flames have had in the last 30 years?

You think BB has that kinda record coaching Calgary?

When looking at a coach he have to look at the teams he has coached not just the record...all I see is underachieving and therefore he wouldn't be my pick. He had that great regular season record all 3 times he was fired for not getting it done. Babcock was the consensus best coach in the league until he coached a bad team and finished dead last.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #99
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Are you seriously gonna compare the roster he coached in Washington to anything the Flames have had in the last 30 years?

You think BB has that kinda record coaching Calgary?

When looking at a coach he have to look at the teams he has coached not just the record...all I see is underachieving and therefore he wouldn't be my pick. He had that great regular season record all 3 times he was fired for not getting it done. Babcock was the consensus best coach in the league until he coached a bad team and finished dead last.
I think he's done a good job with the steaming pile he has in Minny. Calgary is twice as good but not near Washington. Yet I'm not sure i would take ward's Flames over BB's wild in a best of 7. It would be close but if shouldn't be. I truly think if he was signed instead of goofus, we would have 4 playoff seasons in a row at the least. Well, 3 and one projected.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #100
Flamesforever99
Draft Pick

If Ward somehow gets promoted to full-time head coach, I think I would already accept the teams fate for next season as once again being mediocre. IMO he should go or be demoted back to assistant coach, there are better options available (although management is cheap when it comes to head coaches) that we should look at. I don't think I can see another game of the team being down 1 late in the 3rd and Ward electing not to call TO without putting my flames jersey on the TV then smashing it.
Flamesforever99 is offline   Reply With Quote