Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #101
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Actually, the both have constitutions, and they're increasingly carrying about the same amount of weight.
No.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #102
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
look harder at what, the fact that one country has a constitution that its Government is attempting to ignore and the other country doesn't have one? the current US government is doing its best to copy China, its public statements are no more trustworthy at this point
I get that this is an expression of your tired schtick to pretend that all governments are the same, but they're not. China is objectively worse. One country is a democracy, the other is a one party dictatorship working on its third genocide right now.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #103
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I get that this is an expression of your tired schtick to pretend that all governments are the same, but they're not. China is objectively worse. One country is a democracy, the other is a one party dictatorship working on its third genocide right now.
of course all Governments aren't the same and if I have a choice I would rather be an American than a citizen of China, what I am saying is right now under this current President the US government lies just the same as China just not as effectively due to the whole free press and opposition thing (and because Trump is a moron) but only a fool would believe a thing that comes out of the White House right now
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #104
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and the news breaking on Pravda (Fox News)? That couldn't possibly be coordinated with the administration.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
All that plus Deep Underground Military Bases (DUMBs) located below Calgary and connected to other bases around the world by underground tunnels 800 miles deep. At least according to one person on my feed. But don't worry, Trump is going to save us all.

Funny story, but there was a nuclear bomb shelter under Old's college, when I did a comms exercise there, there were tons of medical supplies and ration packs and a full communications suite in there. There was also one in penhold, and a rumored deep facility in the industrial park south of the Stampede Grounds in a empty building that was always locked.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #106
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
...and the news breaking on Pravda (Fox News)? That couldn't possibly be coordinated with the administration.

Trump doesn't like Fox anymore. He's on to One America news Network.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #107
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Herald is writing about the Wuhan lab as well now. It’s obviously a legitimate concern:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/its-p...-8653b63838cd/
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #108
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This thread is classic. Exemplifies what happens so often on CP.

In the face of one of the biggest stories of our generation the OP decides to start a new thread on the origins of Covid-19, of the view, quite fairly, that perhaps there should be a separate discussion as to the origins of the virus, particularly in light of the repeated denials, cover-ups and misinformation on the part of the Chinese government that in no small part resulted in tens of thousands of deaths that likely could have been avoided.

The OP posts an interesting story, provides the source, and suggests that the journalist presents a convincing argument. Nothing more. He doesn't quote it for the truth. He leaves it up to us to form of our own opinions. He concludes by noting, which is well accepted, that regardless of the the origin of the virus the Chinese government knew full well what was happening, did not act nearly quickly enough and failed miserably in their efforts to keep the virus contained.

What happened next was entirely predictable. Serial posters like AFC, who, as noted, rarely misses an opportunity to present himself as the resident CP expert on everything, immediately jumps on the case and rescues us all from any possible misconception that there might be something to the story, and concludes that based on the statements of "every credible scientist he has heard" that the story is absolute garbage. Of course we are required to rely on AFC's opinion as to what constitutes credible science.

Others quickly jump on the bandwagon. The OP should be "embarrassed" for posting the story and is forced to admit that he doesn't necessarily believe the journalist. He never said he did in the first place. Another scolds him for bad form in not qualifying his post with the usual "interesting if true" lest we draw the wrong conclusion that he must believe the story to be true.

And of course, out of remorse for starting the discussion, he is forced to walk things back (he should not have been required to post any follow-up in the first place), having been shamed to confess that he really doesn't know what to believe.

Never change CP.
Good post.

If you look at the posting history of AFC he could easily be seen as a bot for the CCP. Especially when the anti-US fallacy's start coming around.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #109
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Good post.

If you look at the posting history of AFC he could easily be seen as a bot for the CCP. Especially when the anti-US fallacy's start coming around.
I wouldn't go that far, but he definitely comes across as a big Oliver Stone fan.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #110
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Zero tolerance for agenda-driven conspiracy theories. We might as well talk about how 5G towers are causing Covid next.

Some opinions simply are not worthy of respect. And that includes this one, even with full knowledge that it is a virtual certainty that the CCP is lying about many aspects of the disease within their borders.
So with the reports coming up from CNN, Washington Post & others, is it still a crazy conspiracy theory?

Or are you going to go sit in the corner and be quiet now?
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #111
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but he definitely comes across as a big Oliver Stone fan.
It does always start with 'I am no fan of the CCP', and then he proceeds to say why the US is worse.

And then he comes across as a reliable poster in a thread where we have Resolute telling everyone how some posters should go home and ought not to be respected.

Always amusing watching the CP circle jerk.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #112
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
The Herald is writing about the Wuhan lab as well now. It’s obviously a legitimate concern:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/its-p...-8653b63838cd/
How are you supposed to even read the Herald nowadays between all the ads?
Spoiler!

Also, the article essentially said "Did it happen? We don't think so" "But could it have happened? Sure, it's possible"

Last edited by Torture; 04-16-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #113
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
With Ublock, of course.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #114
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
With Ublock, of course.
Work computer, no admin privileges.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #115
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So with the reports coming up from CNN, Washington Post & others, is it still a crazy conspiracy theory?

Or are you going to go sit in the corner and be quiet now?
Doubt we'll see any of the comedians or castigators from the first few pages own up to their mistakes, that's a lot harder than writing pithy pile on garbage. Most of those posts have aged like milk so I don't blame them for not wanting to come back here for retroactive embarrassment.

Hopefully they'll take time, sit back, reflect, and focus on ways to demonstrate greater intellectual fortitude in the future. It's not a mistake if you learn from it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #116
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm just old enough to remember the US 's colonial wars of the 60's and 70's, I watched CIA backed Hawker Hunters bomb Santiago on TV, I didn't grow up thinking they were the good guys, not the bad guys either but definatly not good.

Trump is a dofus and a moron but the US has always been out and about invading countries in furtherance of its political aims throughout my lifetime, like I said I do not see the US as 'good' but more 'less bad'
Old 04-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #117
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doubt we'll see any of the comedians or castigators from the first few pages own up to their mistakes, that's a lot harder than writing pithy pile on garbage. Most of those posts have aged like milk so I don't blame them for not wanting to come back here for retroactive embarrassment.

Hopefully they'll take time, sit back, reflect, and focus on ways to demonstrate greater intellectual fortitude in the future. It's not a mistake if you learn from it.
Absolutely nothing has changed, all of the reports are the same, pretty much some variation of 'a prominent virologists says all indications are its a naturally occurring virus but its technically possible that a virus could have been accidentally released from a lab' no one disputes that might be a possibility but there is no evidence at all of that happening its just a possibility
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #118
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Absolutely nothing has changed, all of the reports are the same, pretty much some variation of 'a prominent virologists says all indications are its a naturally occurring virus but its technically possible that a virus could have been accidentally released from a lab' no one disputes that might be a possibility but there is no evidence at all of that happening its just a possibility
The circumstantial evidence heavily weighed in favor of an accidental release of a natural virus, for anyone with a shred of critical thinking who bothered to read. Just take the L man it's ok.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #119
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good post.

AFC is a nice guy, but clearly suffers from a kind of quasi-left English Boomer mentality about the world and how it works.

Nice guy though.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #120
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The circumstantial evidence heavily weighed in favor of an accidental release of a natural virus, for anyone with a shred of critical thinking who bothered to read. Just take the L man it's ok.
what circumstantial evidence?