Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default Greenday releasing three albums?

Just saw this ad on youtube. It looks like Greenday will be releasing three albums in the next year. They have the different dates set, and they will be called "Uno" "Dos" and "Tre"

The release dates are as follows...

September 25th, 2012
November 13th, 2012
January 15th, 2013.

Kind of weird, has anyone heard anything about this? Is there any buzz around it, any info on what how it'll sound, if the different albums will have different themes or anything like that.

...and sorry in advance to troutman for making a thread about a mainstream band.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
jayswin

Exp:

link

http://greendaytrio.warnerreprise.com/
Old 07-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Just saw this ad on youtube. It looks like Greenday will be releasing three albums in the next year. They have the different dates set, and they will be called "Uno" "Dos" and "Tre"

The release dates are as follows...

September 25th, 2012
November 13th, 2012
January 15th, 2013.

Kind of weird, has anyone heard anything about this? Is there any buzz around it, any info on what how it'll sound, if the different albums will have different themes or anything like that.

...and sorry in advance to troutman for making a thread about a mainstream band.
I think you answered your own question. Probably why a lot of people aren't very excited. Not even necessarily a question of mainstream or not, Green Day just isn't (aren't?) what they used to be. No worries, a lot of bands go through that. In 20 years they'll have their out of retirement tour all Stones and U2 and all us old guys will love them again.

And that's the other thing. Green Day... not Greenday...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any wagers on the number of songs that Green Day will lift from other bands on these three albums?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
No need to apologize. I think I reported on the three albums in the upcoming CD release thread a while ago. Green Day is okay - too bad 90% of the bands on X 92.9 try to sound just like them.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I think you answered your own question. Probably why a lot of people aren't very excited. Not even necessarily a question of mainstream or not, Green Day just isn't (aren't?) what they used to be. No worries, a lot of bands go through that. In 20 years they'll have their out of retirement tour all Stones and U2 and all us old guys will love them again.

And that's the other thing. Green Day... not Greenday...
True. They aren't what they used to be. They've matured from singing about masturbation and being teenagers.

They're in the 40's, you still want them to sing about the same stuff that they used to? You want them to play the same music they used to? If so, then complaints about every song sounding the same would arise. They're in a lose lose situation with some people.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and they are all going to suck!

Of course, I am biased as I grew up in the Kerplunk / Dookie / Insomniac / Nimrod era and couldn't get enough of each album

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
True. They aren't what they used to be. They've matured from singing about masturbation and being teenagers.

They're in the 40's, you still want them to sing about the same stuff that they used to? You want them to play the same music they used to? If so, then complaints about every song sounding the same would arise. They're in a lose lose situation with some people.
Which is fine, but the songs suck now. And it's not because they content is different. It's because their sound is dated. At least try to do something interesting. The only way they could more middle of the road was if they were the Foo Fighters.

Can you honestly say you still enjoy Green Day now? Wait, you probably listen to Linken Park too don't you. Papa Roach?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post

That's the same argument people use for every aging band. There's a small few that buck the trend or, pack it up at their high spot.

Green Day is not one of these.

Not against them, as it's pretty normal, as I mentioned in my first post. But, there is a reason why little care about this triple album.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Meh.

My guess is that we will see 3 average to poor albums that could have been combined into one good album. In the digital world people aren't going to get excited about covers and B-sides, nor buy an album to get them.

This whole thing sounds like a cash grab from the late 90s.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

That was the worst argument I've ever heard for Green Day still being good. No fans would care if the music was still good and the lyrics were just different. They failed miserably trying to be political and now they've produced nothing but mainstream crap for how many years. You can evolve and fans will evolve with you but not when you just start producing awful mainstream commercialized music.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No need to apologize. I think I reported on the three albums in the upcoming CD release thread a while ago. Green Day is okay - too bad 90% of the bands on X 92.9 try to sound just like them.
I listen to X929 all the time and can't think of a single band on their rotation that sounds anything like Green Day. Any band/song in particular?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
That was the worst argument I've ever heard for Green Day still being good. No fans would care if the music was still good and the lyrics were just different. They failed miserably trying to be political and now they've produced nothing but mainstream crap for how many years. You can evolve and fans will evolve with you but not when you just start producing awful mainstream commercialized music.
I went to Green day last time there were here and it was funny that there was a 15 year age gap between the groups of fans. There were 12-16 year olds there and 30-40 yearolds there with almost nothing in between. And when there old music was played the kids looked lost, almost unaware that Green Day had existed before and when the new music was played the older crowd sat down and waited patiently.

I think they still put on the same show that they did back when they first toured. Right down to bringing someone on stage to play guitar.

So they do still have fans, just young pop fans. They have left their old fan base.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I listen to X929 all the time and can't think of a single band on their rotation that sounds anything like Green Day. Any band/song in particular?
I have not listened to X 92.9 for a long time, because last time I did, every song was derivative of Green Day - the same power chords with fake british accent vocals.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I went to Green day last time there were here and it was funny that there was a 15 year age gap between the groups of fans. There were 12-16 year olds there and 30-40 yearolds there with almost nothing in between. And when there old music was played the kids looked lost, almost unaware that Green Day had existed before and when the new music was played the older crowd sat down and waited patiently.

I think they still put on the same show that they did back when they first toured. Right down to bringing someone on stage to play guitar.

So they do still have fans, just young pop fans. They have left their old fan base.
I remember it the same way.

They played all their new Jesus of Suburbia crap and all the kids cheered and then the second half they played their older hits and all of the kids looked lost.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
Not to defend Green Day, as I'm in the boat that their good stuff ended long ago, but if you're refering to American Idiot, it was their best selling album along with being a critical success.

I've always had a small soft spot for Green Day, but the latter years stuff is mostly not my taste. It would be nice to see them do something good again.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Not to defend Green Day, as I'm in the boat that their good stuff ended long ago, but if you're refering to American Idiot, it was their best selling album along with being a critical success.

I've always had a small soft spot for Green Day, but the latter years stuff is mostly not my taste. It would be nice to see them do something good again.
The lyrics were god awful and just painful to try and have them try and be political at a time where it seemed that a ton of other bands were trying too. Glad American Idiot made all that money, still couldn't pay me to listen to it.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

They went political, but they went too obviously political. It was like reading a dick and jane primer. The best bands do it with suggestiveness. Or complete punk disregard.

They went the middle, and it was like reading a Calgary Herald article. It was not poetically OR politically sound. And it wasn't punk.

Brutal album.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough. Can't say I've heard any songs outside of ones they released from it, which were all wildly mediorce to bad.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Which is fine, but the songs suck now. And it's not because they content is different. It's because their sound is dated. At least try to do something interesting. The only way they could more middle of the road was if they were the Foo Fighters.

Can you honestly say you still enjoy Green Day now? Wait, you probably listen to Linken Park too don't you. Papa Roach?
I don't mind them at all but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan or anything. I've seen them 4-5 times since I was in grade 8, and they always put on a fun show. Like most music, I don't take it too seriously. There's nothing more subjective than music taste. I do like Linkin Park, I do like plenty of other artiss that plenty of folk here would consider garbage or mainstream sell outs, but whatever, if their music has me bobbing my head and having a good time while listening, I don't care how popular they are.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote