Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #41
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
You guys are aware that Jankowski had a better season than Bennett last year right?

Bennett: 13g, 14a, 27 pts. -6, 93 PIM. 38 giveaways, 25 takeaways.

Janko: 14g, 18a, 32 pts. +6, 12 PIM. 36 giveaways, 49 takeaways.

And this is with Bennett getting 108 mins of PP time to Jankowskis 18 mins.

Not to mention the fact that with Bennett in we ARE going to be playing on the PK because the guy still can't figure out his ridiculous offensive zone penalties.

Jankowski has only played 182 NHL games to Bennetts 332, yet people know Jankowski is a bust? So does that mean Bennett is a bigger bust?

Acting like Janko is so horrible with his 1 point when Bennett has 5 is also laughable.

Seriously the legend of Sam Bennett around here.
I see you're feeling the same way about Bennett as I did about the legend of Micheal Ferland.

Different people see different things about players. It's fine. But let's not kid ourselves here. Bennett is and has been an important part of this team and will be extended every opportunity to continue to do so until that rock has been bled dry.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #42
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are aware that Jankowski had a better season than Bennett last year right?

Not to mention the fact that with Bennett in we ARE going to be playing on the PK because the guy still can't figure out his ridiculous offensive zone penalties.

Jankowski has only played 182 NHL games to Bennetts 332, yet people know Jankowski is a bust? So does that mean Bennett is a bigger bust?

Acting like Janko is so horrible with his 1 point when Bennett has 5 is also laughable.

I like both players and think they can improve under a good coach, but Janko’s last season is seriously underrated around here. 32 points for a 3/4 line player is pretty darn good.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #43
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it is pretty clear that Rinaldo will be the guy sent down to Stockton once Bennett cleared and then we will probably see Rieder as the most common scratch with the other being rotated around being Czarnik & Bennett until they get up to game speed and after that you can probably add Jankowski and a few others to the list depending who's hot and who's not.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I like both players and think they can improve under a good coach, but Janko’s last season is seriously underrated around here. 32 points for a 3/4 line player is pretty darn good.
He was also pretty easily our best penalty killer last year, even if you ignore the SHG.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #45
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I don't know about this year since we have a couple more guys to help, but last year Bennett was probably a little busy being this team's lone pillar of toughness. I would hate to see how bad the Flames would have been pushed around without him. So I would argue Janko didn't have a better year because Sam had a more valuable role when it came to team needs. Plus good PKers don't exactly come at a premium. If you can't do much else, you get good at the PK or you're out of a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I see you're feeling the same way about Bennett as I did about the legend of Micheal Ferland.

Different people see different things about players. It's fine. But let's not kid ourselves here. Bennett is and has been an important part of this team and will be extended every opportunity to continue to do so until that rock has been bled dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't hate Sam Bennett at all. I think he can be serviceable, especially if he eventually learns not to take those horrible penalties. I totally want him to succeed in a big way.

But people just saying he should instantly slot in ahead of Jankowski are out to lunch. Jankowski and his line has been a big part of this winning streak. Regardless if he has 1 point. He looks good and you're going to crush his confidence when its sky high by benching him?

This is the time to reward him for his solid play, not throw him in the pressbox.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #46
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we start a CP DJ request? 'I boblieve I can fly' was my initial idea but Bill done messed it all up

Last edited by calumniate; 12-13-2019 at 06:29 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
He was also pretty easily our best penalty killer last year, even if you ignore the SHG.
IDK. I always kind of thought his PK prowess was inflated by the shorties. Hathaway was very good killing penalties last year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #48
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
IDK. I always kind of thought his PK prowess was inflated by the shorties. Hathaway was very good killing penalties last year.
Wouldn't this be a positive thing to have on your PK resume, though?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Wouldn't this be a positive thing to have on your PK resume, though?
I think the issue is that the shorties seemed like a fluke run - unsustainable.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #50
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Yeah, I can see that. He certainly hasn't scored any this year so far.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #51
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hahah I'm just saying I wouldnt sit Bennett is all and the only real candidates to sit in place of him are Jankowski, Reider, Dube and Frolik.

Out of those 4 I think it's obvious who has been the least effective at 5v5 play.

I want Jankowski to be good. I want Bennett to be good.

I want those 2 in the lineup over Reider and Frolik.. but only if their play dictates it.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Yeah. He doesn’t need to apologize for those results but without the SHG success, I’m not convinced he is such a great penalty killer.

Great reach helps him in the D zone. Energy and shot blocking? Not his thing. Seemed like he anticipated better last year but was that just him getting the bounces?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #53
Joe Nieuwendyk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Hahah I'm just saying I wouldnt sit Bennett is all and the only real candidates to sit in place of him are Jankowski, Reider, Dube and Frolik.

Out of those 4 I think it's obvious who has been the least effective at 5v5 play.

I want Jankowski to be good. I want Bennett to be good.

I want those 2 in the lineup over Reider and Frolik.. but only if their play dictates it.
I'd be putting Mangiapane near the top of that list - 1 point (-2) in his last 8 games playing on the top line is not very good
Joe Nieuwendyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Nieuwendyk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #54
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Hathaway was the only regular PKer to be on the ice for fewer PP goals against that Jankowski, but Jankowski played more minutes, more against the top units and was one of our regulars on when down 2 men.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #55
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

All due respect to everybody, but giveaways, takeaways and hits are the three least reliable stats from building to building.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #56
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if Ward might see Bennett is a third or forth line centre instead of a winger? He seems to have a very different viewpoint of where guys fit into the lineup than Bill Peters did.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #57
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I wonder if Ward might see Bennett is a third or forth line centre instead of a winger? He seems to have a very different viewpoint of where guys fit into the lineup than Bill Peters did.
Bennett has played for 4 coaches now and none of them could get him to play center. He thinks the game too slow to be a center. The fans really need to stop blaming the coaches and hoping he will turn out to be a center.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 02:00 AM   #58
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Bennett has played for 4 coaches now and none of them could get him to play center. He thinks the game too slow to be a center. The fans really need to stop blaming the coaches and hoping he will turn out to be a center.
Great insight. Let’s break it down. 4 coaches, you say?

He was good as a rookie under Hartley as a wing with a regular shift with Backlund and Frolik. That was the end of his top 6 deployment, as Gulutzan slotted Tkachuk in there straight away.
Gulutzan was a bad coach, who should feel bad, and bounced him around with many bad linemates.
Peters - well, he is not on too many pedestals these days. Bennett is the best forward in the playoffs, and he rewards him with pretty much nothing.

Who is the fourth coach he has played for again?

Bennett’s development stalled after Hartley and that coincides quite well with deployment.

And have any players this year done better under Ward than Peters?

Why the love of crapping on Bennett? He hasn’t had stable quality linemates since his rookie season.

Let the new coach do his job
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 02:09 AM   #59
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I will never cease to be amazed at how people are so enamoured with Andrew Mangiapane and are so critical of Sam Bennett when they've both turned out to be useful players to about the same degree.

At a certain point, a player's draft pedigree stops mattering.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 AM   #60
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I will never cease to be amazed at how people are so enamoured with Andrew Mangiapane and are so critical of Sam Bennett when they've both turned out to be useful players to about the same degree.

At a certain point, a player's draft pedigree stops mattering.
Bennett is younger to boot
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote