Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #1301
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Never heard of anyone getting a C&D from Netflix over place-shifting.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #1302
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trailer Parks Boys Season 8 airs on Sept 5th.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #1303
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Are there any problems with switching between regions? My brother in law said he got a cease and desist letter from netflix awhile back. Is that something they actually do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Never heard of anyone getting a C&D from Netflix over place-shifting.
I have never heard of it either. I personally feel that Netflix unofficially doesn't mind the practice because it adds tremendous value to their product. Once content providers start stomping their feet a little more, they might pressure Netflix into doing more to prevent it.

On the other hand, the content providers that sold the rights to Netflix in another region are still getting paid when a place-shifting Canadian watches their show. That's why it is such a grey area. The customer is paying Netflix, and Netflix is paying for the content.

It certainly does have an impact when the rights are sold for broadcast in one region, but are available on Netflix in another. Breaking Bad, for example, was on UK Netflix the day after it was broadcast in Canada/US. Why subscribe to AMC, who have invested heavily in that program, when you can get it on Netflix by pretending you're in the UK?

But, it begs the question, why should Netflix care about the failure of the old cable model? And AMC, for example, are smart enough to know that Breaking Bad (and all of their programs) have been very successful by being available on Netflix for people to get hooked on.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #1304
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

So those of us with unblock-us probably have noticed all of the new regions that were just added (France, Germany etc). Some interesting finds.

Homeland Season 3 is on Belgium
Same with 3 seasons of Deadwood (HBO??)
1st season of Penny Dreadful.
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #1305
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are you currently watching on Netflix (Canada)?

I just finished "The Fall" (really liked it)
Just started "Luther" - love 1st two episodes

Admittedly watch Salmon Fishing in Yemen last night as the lass wanted something easy watching - admittedly, didn't mind it...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #1306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
What are you currently watching on Netflix (Canada)?

I just finished "The Fall" (really liked it)
Just started "Luther" - love 1st two episodes

Admittedly watch Salmon Fishing in Yemen last night as the lass wanted something easy watching - admittedly, didn't mind it...
My wife and I liked that movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #1307
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Hey, just found one that seems to be up to date. Creates a new entry for each new release (I prefer a daily digest, but beggars can't be choosers). Looks like it only keeps a week's worth of new releases.

http://www.allflicks.net/scripts/latest-canada.xml
In case anyone used this script and noticed that it stopped working late last year - here's the updated url that looks up to date:

http://www.allflicks.net/rss/latest-canada.xml
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 AM   #1308
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone watched Bloodline? I found it quite good overall.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #1309
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/11/91...s-netflix-2016
Quote:
Netflix's newest original full-length film is an exclusive feature from the comedy world's master of mockumentaries. Christopher Guest is bringing Mascots, his first feature-length directorial effort since 2006's For Your Consideration, to the streaming service in 2016. Guest is the brain behind cult comedy classics like This Is Spinal Tap and Waiting for Guffman, sharp pieces of satire that are loose, familial, and largely improvised. The streaming service announced the movie by releasing a poster this morning, the highlight of which is the movie's premise:
Basically, this?

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #1310
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, Netflix is warning they are going to block VPN and proxy use that bypasses geofencing.

I'm not surprised. Just more surprised that it took this long. So for those that are using a proxy or VPN, start binging through all the content that is only available on the US Netflix!

I would guess it would be pretty easy for them to block services like Unblockus and whatever else is our there. Probably quite a bit more difficult to block all VPNs, but I suspect some popular ones will no longer work for Netflix.

Really the best solution is if content is available globally, which they are working towards, but it will take time.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #1311
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Mine will not be a popular opinion, but in the few short months I've had American Netflix it's proven to be a bit of a pain. My wife has the uncanny ability to find and become obsessed with shows not available on American Netflix.

Because we are currently balancing a Roku (which is unable to get American Netflix) and an Apple TV (which is), it makes for an annoying experience. She can watch certain shows only on a certain tv. One day I got annoyed and switched the region to Canada and this is the first I've even thought of it in weeks.

I get that Canada doesn't have as many option as the states, but what it does have is quite good. There's still way more than I'm able to consume.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #1312
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have to agree, I stopped using a service to get US Netflix back in October. Haven't looked back.
I also could be wrong but isn't Netflix Canada's deal with Disney supposed to start this year?
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #1313
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I also could be wrong but isn't Netflix Canada's deal with Disney supposed to start this year?
Right, I forgot about that.http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...nada-1.2709924

For new Disney films (i.e. not the back catalog), they will be on Netflix Canada about 8 months after hitting theatres. That means we should see The Force Awakens some time in the summer.

Edit
Oh, it is 8 months after leaving theatres. So Star Wars will stick around for a bit more I imagine.

Last edited by gottabekd; 01-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #1314
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I understand what netflix is doing but it really sucks for someone like me who watches a lot of releases from all over the world. I rarely use US. It's all the other movies and shows from the rest of the world.

My only complaint is the blatant lie that he thinks we will get global Netflix anytime soon. Zero chance that happens in the next few years IMO.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #1315
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I understand what netflix is doing but it really sucks for someone like me who watches a lot of releases from all over the world. I rarely use US. It's all the other movies and shows from the rest of the world.

My only complaint is the blatant lie that he thinks we will get global Netflix anytime soon. Zero chance that happens in the next few years IMO.
What Netflix is doing is heavily investing in orginal content, like Narcos, Orange is the new black etc. These shows are available globally on Netflix, and more shows will be in the future. Thats what Netflix is talking about.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #1316
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Netflix just expanded to 130 countries. I imagine licensing content individually to each region costs a lot of time and effort, for both sides. If they can work with a studio and say "Hey Sony, instead of spending weeks of negotiating back and forth for each country, what if we just lock up the streaming rights to your new movie globally? And here's an extra 2%. We would have spent way more hiring an army of content buyers to work out all these deals individually", then I think both sides are better off.

So as a going forward strategy, it makes sense where they can do it. It also makes these services to access another countries Netflix service less appealing. But certainly there is a lot of history behind the geography-based licensing, and Netflix isn't the only player, so it will take a while for them to really impact the industry with this model. For the short term, no doubt the catalogs will continue to be very different.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #1317
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
What Netflix is doing is heavily investing in orginal content, like Narcos, Orange is the new black etc. These shows are available globally on Netflix, and more shows will be in the future. Thats what Netflix is talking about.
But all that content is available globally so that doesn't make any sense.

What they are talking about is removing geographical restrictions on all content, like the Canadian only Disney deal. The guy that wrote that blog is really stretching by implying that they will be removing geo restrictions anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Netflix just expanded to 130 countries. I imagine licensing content individually to each region costs a lot of time and effort, for both sides. If they can work with a studio and say "Hey Sony, instead of spending weeks of negotiating back and forth for each country, what if we just lock up the streaming rights to your new movie globally? And here's an extra 2%. We would have spent way more hiring an army of content buyers to work out all these deals individually", then I think both sides are better off.

So as a going forward strategy, it makes sense where they can do it. It also makes these services to access another countries Netflix service less appealing. But certainly there is a lot of history behind the geography-based licensing, and Netflix isn't the only player, so it will take a while for them to really impact the industry with this model. For the short term, no doubt the catalogs will continue to be very different.
I wholeheartedly agree. And it is really unfortunate the huge mess licensing is right now because untangling that web is gonna take a long time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #1318
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since Netflix keeps a list of the shows you've watched, I wonder how hard is it for them to know who use unblockus, VPN etc. If they see you have a Canadian account but you've watched shows not from Netflix Canada, that's pretty obvious, isn't it?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #1319
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Since Netflix keeps a list of the shows you've watched, I wonder how hard is it for them to know who use unblockus, VPN etc. If they see you have a Canadian account but you've watched shows not from Netflix Canada, that's pretty obvious, isn't it?
Yes, except it does get a little fuzzy. When you are visiting the U.S., you no longer have the rights to stream Canadian content, even though you live in Canada, have a Canadian account, a Canadian credit card, and Canadian billing address. But you can watch the U.S. content, because at least as interpreted by Netflix, the rights are about where you are physically located when watching the content. So without breaking the Netflix ToS, you might have US-only content on your Canadian account watch history.

Now, if it appears to Netflix that you are in Calgary one minute, then Seattle the next, then off to London the next hour, they could make a pretty reasonable assumption that you are region-hopping. Netflix is probably more concerned about keeping their content partners happy than banning every account that might have violated the terms (and losing a paying customer), so they probably wouldn't bother spending a lot of effort investigating any breaches. Instead, they will likely start banning the IPs that services like Unblockus use, making a dent in the region-hopping without targeting individual users.
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #1320
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
If they can work with a studio and say "Hey Sony, instead of spending weeks of negotiating back and forth for each country, what if we just lock up the streaming rights to your new movie globally? And here's an extra 2%. We would have spent way more hiring an army of content buyers to work out all these deals individually", then I think both sides are better off.
The thing is that a studio can probably make far more than 2% if they broke it out by country. And the studio wouldn't be doing its proper diligence for its shareholders and actors/producers/etc if they didn't determine accurately the value of the content first by gauging the interest from various media companies.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote