Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #21
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Scorch has to be part of this right?
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #22
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Calgary Scorchmen.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #23
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post
Scorch has to be part of this right?
I dunno, but if they played in Balzac, I'm not so sure I'd want to see their mascot...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #24
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet all the teams will play out of the Dome; the Scorchmen and Hitmen may each play a few games elsewhere if scheduling demands (most likely at playoff time) as has happened before to the Hitmen.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #25
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I dunno, but if they played in Balzac, I'm not so sure I'd want to see their mascot...
They have a couple in test.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:33 PM   #26
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames = 41
Hitmen = 34
AHL = 36
Roughnecks = 9

That's a total of 120 regular season games, which are all played over about 200 days.

The toughest part with scheduling will likely be the fact that all 4 teams like to play weekend games because they're a better draw. The other question will be what do that many games do to the ice quality, when the Saddledome ice plant already struggles?

The other big challenge will be if all three hockey teams are ever in the playoffs at the same time.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #27
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
or the Itch.
LOL, does anyone have the balls to do it?
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #28
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Good point...

Saddledome's ice making facility is sub-par.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #29
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
They have a couple in teste.
ftfy
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #30
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Really? I’d much rather go to an AHL game than a WHL game.
Same here, but ticket prices will probably be 2 or 3 times more expensive than the Hitmen. I suspect the Hitmen will out draw them.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The Flaming Itchy Balzacs
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #32
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, but "per game" is doing a lot of work there. There are what - 9 home games? Compared to 36 for the Hitmen (not counting POs). Roughnecks averaged 13K the last non-Covid season whereas Hitmen are in the 7-8K range normally but overall revenue for Hitmen is still way higher. But it's a short season Dec - June. Squeezing 8-9 games into that slot isn't impossible.

Neither team would fit into the 2K seat 7 Chiefs or any other venue very easily.

Hitmen actual attendance, other than a couple of feature games, has been trending down for several years. The fact that they only sell season tickets in the lower bowl and the 1st three rows of the upper bowl is telling. Add to that club seats are included in the price of admission, and the actual butts in seats for weekday games could easily fit in a 2-3 k facility.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:28 AM   #33
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Getback laid it out nicely a few posts up, but you guys are nuts suggesting someone has to move and even more nuts for suggesting a 2000 seat arena outside the city is where a team like the Hitmen or Roughnecks might land.

The arenas in big US cities often have 2-3 major sports tenants (41+ bookings a year each) plus about 4-5 times the concerts bookings that the Saddledome has (the Dome doesn't even really get more than one major concert a month in the last decade or so). I've stated all along and again - you guys are looking for a solution where there's no problem.

You've got 140 bookings between the Flames/Roughnecks/Hitmen/Heat. That's easy and it makes the most sense for all to be at the Saddledome. Like getback said, the biggest issue in all of this will be the teams fighting for weekend games at the Dome and that will be solved by pecking order.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-07-2022 at 01:31 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 01:38 AM   #34
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm just not understanding the debate and reasoning for this move to the Saddledome by the Heat.

We're not a city with a quality....or any midsize arena. We have three sports teams that draw 7k avg/10k avg/18k avg and play out of the Dome and then a farm team coming in where the parent organization is unhappy with 2-3k and wants to get it in the 4-5k range along with having said farm team in town for convenience.

And we're in here talking about a city with a 19289 seat arena and then.....out of inner-city/downtown locations like Winsport at just over 3000, Tsuutʼina (outside of Calgary!) at 2000 and Max Bell.

I apologize for my slight abrasiveness in the last couple of posts, but seriously, these teams are all at the Saddledome next season, no ifs ands or buts. Just wait for the season and see. No problem = no solution needed.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-07-2022 at 01:43 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 01:47 AM   #35
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I apologize for my slight abrasiveness in the last couple of posts, but seriously, these teams are all at the Saddledome next season, no ifs ands or buts. Just wait for the season and see. No problem = no solution needed.
Time will tell, like with all things.

But I wouldn’t be shocked at all if some games are played outside of the Saddledome.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:38 AM   #36
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

obviously CSEC intends to build a new arena for the Heat

I am more sure of this than jayswin is
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:55 AM   #37
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

The other option with regards to the Heat and Hitmen is to start offering packages of weekend double header games. Buy ticket for two games and watch a Hitmen game at noon and a Heat game at 4. Keeps people in the building eating and drinking and allows for fans to see the differences in the different leagues.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #38
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
The other option with regards to the Heat and Hitmen is to start offering packages of weekend double header games. Buy ticket for two games and watch a Hitmen game at noon and a Heat game at 4. Keeps people in the building eating and drinking and allows for fans to see the differences in the different leagues.
Triple header......
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #39
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Same here, but ticket prices will probably be 2 or 3 times more expensive than the Hitmen. I suspect the Hitmen will out draw them.
2-3% more? Maybe 20-30%?

Quote:
I'm just not understanding the debate and reasoning for this move to the Saddledome by the Heat.

We're not a city with a quality....or any midsize arena. We have three sports teams that draw 7k avg/10k avg/18k avg and play out of the Dome and then a farm team coming in where the parent organization is unhappy with 2-3k and wants to get it in the 4-5k range along with having said farm team in town for convenience.
I think there's at least 3 things:
1. Divisional alignment makes this more feasible now (compared to the first time they tried Abbotsford as a true outpost)

2. There are no particularly lucrative options for this, so might as well do what's most convenient and best for the core business (Flames)

3. Even if both the Hitmen/Scorchmen end up around 4-5k (which is still above avg for each league) it means they're probably selling the best ~3000 seats twice. Obviously there'll be a bit of trial/error to determine what the market will bear, but I suspect it'll be a slight net positive for CSEC
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #40
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getback laid it out nicely a few posts up, but you guys are nuts suggesting someone has to move and even more nuts for suggesting a 2000 seat arena outside the city is where a team like the Hitmen or Roughnecks might land.

The arenas in big US cities often have 2-3 major sports tenants (41+ bookings a year each) plus about 4-5 times the concerts bookings that the Saddledome has (the Dome doesn't even really get more than one major concert a month in the last decade or so). I've stated all along and again - you guys are looking for a solution where there's no problem.

You've got 140 bookings between the Flames/Roughnecks/Hitmen/Heat. That's easy and it makes the most sense for all to be at the Saddledome. Like getback said, the biggest issue in all of this will be the teams fighting for weekend games at the Dome and that will be solved by pecking order.
Plus with weekend games, can they not have one in the early afternoon, and one in the evening? We aren't talking MSG or Staples Centre here. If anything, the Saddledome needs more usage.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote