Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #2041
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is anybody else in Ward 3 conflicted between Jasmine Mian and Nate Pike? They both seem equally good and engaged. It’s hard to pick. I can’t really see any negatives.
I'm afraid of the vote split there, and seeing Brent come out from that.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #2042
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
I'm afraid of the vote split there, and seeing Brent come out from that.
Driving around Panorama I don't see any signs for Pike but Jasmine Mian signs everywhere, with Trenholm signs in 2nd. From ground game alone I think it will come down to those two
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #2043
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward 8 here. I’ve gotten flyers but not of them actually say anything. Powerlifting Gary getting in on name recognition alone?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #2044
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is anybody else in Ward 3 conflicted between Jasmine Mian and Nate Pike? They both seem equally good and engaged. It’s hard to pick. I can’t really see any negatives.
I have a sign up for Nate, but as I mentioned last month his ground game seems to be close to 0. Mian might be the only reasonable option to beat the Manning Centre Man in a Suit Brent Trentholm/Trent Brentholm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #2045
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Ward 8 here. I’ve gotten flyers but not of them actually say anything. Powerlifting Gary getting in on name recognition alone?
Ward 8 seems pretty wide open. Seen a pretty even split of signs between Bobrovitz, Walcott, and Wiebe in some of the neighborhoods I’ve driven through. Mitchell was door knocking starting a while back but haven’t seen much of anything for him (again, in the neighborhoods I drove through anyway).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #2046
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lawn signs for candidates have been super sparse around here, but of the ones I have seen they have been for Farkas and Trentholm, unfortunately.

We normal don’t bother, but maybe the neighbourhood needs a change of scenery.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #2047
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have not had any door knocks here in ward 11 but the only signs I see (and there are only a few) are for Devin DeFraine.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #2048
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
Have not had any door knocks here in ward 11 but the only signs I see (and there are only a few) are for Devin DeFraine.
I've seen quite a few. Vance Bertram, Lauren Herschel, Kourtney Branagan come to mind. I haven't looked at any of them, but I saw a new one today for Mike Jamieson (I think) also. We might have a lot of options!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #2049
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I remember last election Chu literally sprinting from door to door. I didn't answer and saw him run to the next house. Found it very odd.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #2050
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The funniest door knocker is Carra. Conventional political wisdom is you want to efficiently identify supporters, secure their vote, and meet undecideds. Carra gets into vigorous debates with people who are quite firmly against him.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #2051
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

What's Magliocca doing? I've seen him listed as the incumbent some places but he's not listed on the city election website.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #2052
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
... Carra gets into vigorous debates with people who are quite firmly against him.
Bang on. And he does that at Public Hearings all the time, tying up simplest agenda items for hours. There's no point, he knows it, but can't stop himself. I like him; he seems like a genuinely decent good guy, but is he ever clueless politically...
Old 08-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #2053
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What's Magliocca doing? I've seen him listed as the incumbent some places but he's not listed on the city election website.
My guess, he will announce soon and, likely, win. Smart strategy, actually, for someone mired in scandal. Nobody serious wants to run against a sitting incumbent. He's gonna wait and announce at the deadline.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #2054
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
My guess, he will announce soon and, likely, win. Smart strategy, actually, for someone mired in scandal. Nobody serious wants to run against a sitting incumbent. He's gonna wait and announce at the deadline.
Ugh, I hope not.

Last election he his second place opponent came somewhat close to him, and was giving him a run. She's running again, Jennifer Wyness.

Otherwise its been a pretty quiet campaign, not much around here. Part of what bugs me though about that, and a portion of what bugs me about Magliocca, is that I am in part of the ward that gets ignored - our neighbourhood is very diverse and has people in abject poverty all the way up to quite nice houses with scenic views of the city. We often get ignored - not like the northern part of the ward with all the building and builders .

A simple but good example - last election absolutely crickets from Joe from our area, and then get in the ballpark of the election, and suddenly in our mailboxes appeared this super fancy "look what I did in the ward" booklet. Yup, nothing like a ward document effectively with all the items concentrated in a couple of areas, with not much of anything listed around us....
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #2055
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The funniest door knocker is Carra. Conventional political wisdom is you want to efficiently identify supporters, secure their vote, and meet undecideds. Carra gets into vigorous debates with people who are quite firmly against him.
I’ve campaigned at many thousands of doors and that’s a huge waste of time. Spend your time with people who might actually vote for you.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #2056
Young Fledge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've seen quite a few. Vance Bertram, Lauren Herschel, Kourtney Branagan come to mind. I haven't looked at any of them, but I saw a new one today for Mike Jamieson (I think) also. We might have a lot of options!
Mike Jamieson is the Craig Chandler slate candidate.
Devin Defraine has the same signs as Shandro/Kenney, he's your UCP shill.
Vance Bertram is a pro gun psychopath.
Lauren Herschel is firmly in the developer's pockets, she used to work for BILD.
Kourtney is your union-backed candidate.
Young Fledge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young Fledge For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #2057
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Fledge View Post
Mike Jamieson is the Craig Chandler slate candidate.
Devin Defraine has the same signs as Shandro/Kenney, he's your UCP shill.
Vance Bertram is a pro gun psychopath.
Lauren Herschel is firmly in the developer's pockets, she used to work for BILD.
Kourtney is your union-backed candidate.
Oh great, what a group of options.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #2058
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I really hope not. He's in my ward, and no way I'm a voting for Joe. I've only had Kim Tyers come door knocking so far. Have to read up on the rest of the candidates.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #2059
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

So 25 candidates currently running for mayor including Larry Heather again and Shaoli Wang. He's run in other elections as well and also protests quite a bit around the courthouse and McDougall center, I think he has a beef with the workers comp over something.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #2060
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

25? Wow!
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat