Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #4621
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
CGI looks pretty on point.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #4622
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Looks like an Avengers Parody at this point. So many similar elements. Which is what comics has always been. But I really think DC has just straight up missed the boat with the extended universe thing.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:01 AM   #4623
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m pretty checked out on DC movies but Black Adam looks kinda good. The Rock is always entertaining, effects look good, I like Pierce Brosnan too. An anti-Superman is kind of a cool concept we haven’t really seen in these movies.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #4624
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every streaming service must have an epic fantasy series in 2022...

Old 09-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #4625
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Every streaming service must have an epic fantasy series in 2022...

It's been a few years coming this one. Not sure if I'll buy into this one. I liked Willow but I didn't LOVE Willow like I do LOTR .
Old 09-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #4626
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's been a few years coming this one. Not sure if I'll buy into this one. I liked Willow but I didn't LOVE Willow like I do LOTR .
That might actually serve you well.

The thing is, with big Tentpole stuff like Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTR, etc people are so invested in it that it becomes essentially impossible to please them.

For instance, an example like Game of Thrones might be apt. Sure, there are books out there and fans of those books, and those fans are irrational crazy people for even bothering to read books from a writer who clearly never had any intention on finishing them.

I digress, but to me when the show started GoT was a complete mystery. A brand new world. So I didnt have any vested interest and could just go along for the ride.

Whereas 'bookists' as they are known, were losing their minds because "The Imp doesnt look like that in the BOOKS!!!"

I could shrug my shoulders and just accept what he looks like in the show. To my knowledge the books were not illustrated so he didnt look like anything in the books and the bookists are just nerds who need to be quietly ushered away and forgotten about.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #4627
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #4628
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looks interesting, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:33 PM   #4629
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

The Matrix meets TRON?

It might be interesting but it looks kind of all over the place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #4630
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is that the TVA?
Old 09-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #4631
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That might actually serve you well.

The thing is, with big Tentpole stuff like Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTR, etc people are so invested in it that it becomes essentially impossible to please them.

For instance, an example like Game of Thrones might be apt. Sure, there are books out there and fans of those books, and those fans are irrational crazy people for even bothering to read books from a writer who clearly never had any intention on finishing them.

I digress, but to me when the show started GoT was a complete mystery. A brand new world. So I didnt have any vested interest and could just go along for the ride.

Whereas 'bookists' as they are known, were losing their minds because "The Imp doesnt look like that in the BOOKS!!!"

I could shrug my shoulders and just accept what he looks like in the show. To my knowledge the books were not illustrated so he didnt look like anything in the books and the bookists are just nerds who need to be quietly ushered away and forgotten about.
Personally never cared for Bookist mentality. An author can write amazing depictions of characters and if you lined up 100 avid readers who could draw, you'd get 100 different perceptions.

It's the same with book purists too. Look at the wheel of time. There's literally no way they could ever put all the plots and ideas from those tomes onto screen. 20 t.v seasons of 20 episodes couldn't do it.

And with LOTR, Tolkienists must have somehow calmed down over time with the PJ films, because if they haven't they're going to be sorely disappointed. Especially considering how little history pre the ring war there's is to work with.

I'm just going to love the Rings series for what they will be. We know how it ends. But the journey getting there looks very promising.

As for Willow. It was a good popcorn flick to me. But was never good enough to love the lore and world building. To me it's entry level fantasy and that's not a slight, I just don't know if I'll get hooked on a series of that world.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #4632
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

If it’s from Lisa Joy and the other Nolan brother, then it must deal with questioning your reality, fate vs free will and AI because they are nothing if predictable when it comes to the themes they like to explore.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #4633
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I'll check out the first season before Amazon cancels it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #4634
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dr. Jones and Short Round reunited...

Harrison Ford was at D23 to talk about Indy 5 and Ke Huy Quan was there because he'll be in Season 2 of Loki.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #4635
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Love & Thunder -- not by conscious choice, but it marks the second MCU movie I haven't seen in theaters.

Lot of polarizing opinions on this -- it was firmly OK. Crammed way too much in, the tone was all over the place, but it had it's good moments. Honestly the most distracting thing was trying to calculate how big the dump truck of money was that Disney gave to Universal for all the GnR songs. Well, and Heimdall's kid insisting on being called Axl. Kind of expected to see Rose as an EP tbh.

Months old spoiler, I guess:
Spoiler!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #4636
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they released the cast of Fantastic 4 yet?
Old 09-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #4637
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Have they released the cast of Fantastic 4 yet?
No. But John K is the obvious choice for Reed and Jodie Comer is rumoured for Sue.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #4638
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone was expecting them to announce the casting this weekend, but instead they only confirmed Matt Shakman will be the director (I believe he has been rumoured for quite a while).

Also, after all the recent teases about the X-Men in the MCU, nothing was announced either.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #4639
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Constantine sequel announced with Keanu returning

https://twitter.com/user/status/1570889223095336971
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 05:14 PM   #4640
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Finally watched Love & Thunder -- not by conscious choice, but it marks the second MCU movie I haven't seen in theaters.

Lot of polarizing opinions on this -- it was firmly OK. Crammed way too much in, the tone was all over the place, but it had it's good moments. Honestly the most distracting thing was trying to calculate how big the dump truck of money was that Disney gave to Universal for all the GnR songs. Well, and Heimdall's kid insisting on being called Axl. Kind of expected to see Rose as an EP tbh.

Months old spoiler, I guess:
Spoiler!
It's on Disney+ now (not sure if that's where you were watching it).

The issue I had is that it didn't really hit hard with the emotional points it wasn't try to hit. The god butcherer's child dying wasn't as impactful as it should have been. The Jane Foster stuff didn't come across all that impactfully either.

A lot of the action pieces were really dark too, in the sense that they were filmed at night and/or black and white. Based on the ads, I thought the movie was going to be bright and colourful and more like the aesthetic from Ragnorok, which worked really well. The whole counsel of the gods was just kind of odd too. Not really entertaining.

I feel like the movie could have been a lot better with better editing choices. Better pacing and more colour.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote