Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default nm

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 01:42 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Amusing casting decision given the controversy over Hollywood's attempt at whitewashing Akira. That being said, I think Ghost in the Shell is largely obscure to the movie going public at large, so the need for a big name lead star is there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Makes sense.

She's been Black Widow, Lucy, and a naked alien killer in Under the Skin.

All those things fit Ghost in the Shell.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Makes sense.

She's been Black Widow, Lucy, and a naked alien killer in Under the Skin.

All those things fit Ghost in the Shell.
All of those do fit Ghost in the Shell, but I would argue that she was horribly miscast as Black Widow (a tiny Swede? Couldn't they even find a tall Swede? Or, I don't know, a Ukrainian who can emote?), didn't have the chops to carry Lucy (needed a female Bruce Campbell to carry a sometimes ludicrous script), and... ok, I'll give you Under the Skin.

There are a lot of graceful flying trippy sequences in Ghost in the Shell, and the only problem that I have with always casting Johansson in these roles, is that she is not graceful. I think that if she jumps off of a building, she will drop like a rock.

Can't we just make a series of movies about naked aliens for her to be in, and move on? I watch movies in spite of her being in them, because she keeps being cast in fantasy/scifi. Her acting is so bland though.

Glad I got that out of my system. (Haha, Ghost in the Shell joke.)
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
All of those do fit Ghost in the Shell, but I would argue that she was horribly miscast as Black Widow (a tiny Swede? Couldn't they even find a tall Swede? Or, I don't know, a Ukrainian who can emote?), didn't have the chops to carry Lucy (needed a female Bruce Campbell to carry a sometimes ludicrous script), and... ok, I'll give you Under the Skin.

There are a lot of graceful flying trippy sequences in Ghost in the Shell, and the only problem that I have with always casting Johansson in these roles, is that she is not graceful. I think that if she jumps off of a building, she will drop like a rock.

Can't we just make a series of movies about naked aliens for her to be in, and move on? I watch movies in spite of her being in them, because she keeps being cast in fantasy/scifi. Her acting is so bland though.

Glad I got that out of my system. (Haha, Ghost in the Shell joke.)
Her mom's side family is Jewish from the Russian Empire. I too like Black Widow from the comics more but Marvel Movies are what they are...Arguably all completely miscast aside from RDJ and Tom Hiddleston.

I too see issues with her moving fluidly and gracefully. She's clunky.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime , ghost in the shell , manga