Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Broadway shows in NYC - Recommendations

I will be headed to NYC in March and am looking at seeing a broadway show or two. There are so many to choose from and I have only seen a couple shows live so not sure where to start.

My criteria:

- I'm cheap so I'd like to try and find a deal on any show
- something like a comedy would be good
- well known and popular
- good reviews from those who have seen it
- nothing sad or dramatic (ie. Phantom of the Opera)

Any ideas feel free to post them
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

For cheap seats go to TKTS in time square behind the stair case. Can pick up tickets to the shows the day of so for a big discount.

https://www.tdf.org

As for show, my favorite was The Book of Mormon, but it was quite expensive at the time. Maybe it has come down a bit in the last couple years though or you can get a same-day deal.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 AM   #3
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it's still on Broadway, but Avenue Q is my favorite show I've seen... Think Sesame Street meets South Park.

I haven't seen Book of Morman but that is a must see for me next trip out there.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not to derail this thread but if you want to see The Book of Mormon without flying across the continent you have a shot!

http://calgary.broadway.com/shows/book-mormon-baa/
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jealous... you will have a great time I am sure.

If you're into more 'rock' musicals, I'd recommend 'Rent' or 'Spring Awakening'. If you want a musical with songs you'll recognize, there is the Queen tribute, 'We Will Rock You', or 'Rock of Ages'. I don't know what happened with the 'American Psycho' musical that had been in production, but it looked... interesting.

If you want something fun with great music and a story, but more traditionally broadway, you could try 'Wicked'. If humour is your thing in this vein, I've yet to see 'Book of Mormon' but I've only heard great things. I personally didn't like 'Avenue Q' but I know I'm in the very small minority there.

You might also want to look around at some of the non-musical theatre that is going. You can find some amazing shows that are only on Broadway. Mrs. Fatso saw James Corden in 'One Man, Two Guv'nors' a few years back and said it was a riot. She also saw Al Pacino in Merchant of Venice I believe.

*I should note that it's been some time since I've been to Broadway so I'm not sure what, if any, of the above shows are still playing. Have fun!

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

No clue if theyre still there or not, but I saw Wicked and Billy Elliot when I was there. Both were excellent and enjoyable. Wicked's production was top notch but Billy Elliot probably held my attention more. The 14 year old kid who played the lead was phenomenal.

I would really like to see Book of Mormon. I hear it's awesome.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the input, sounds like Book of Mormon is a must-see
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

If you can't find tickets online, call the box office- that is what I did and was able to score 3 tickets to a show that was sold out online.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is Spamalot still on?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

+1 for Book of Mormon, but the tickets will be pricey, but worth it. Avenue Q is also great, and the tickets would likely be cheaper. I've seen both relatively recently, but in London which is likely comparable to the Broadway experience.

I'd say both are hilarious, R rated humour, but done well. Avenue Q's edge is sex jokes, and Book of Mormon has that, but is definitely a no-holds-barred assault on religion as well, in case that might offend you/your companion.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote