Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #61
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another recommendation for Costco (who subcontracts the work to Arpi's). We had two technicians come out on Tuesday and install our central air. Very polite and professional install, very thorough, explained everything very well. Would recommend again. The prices were very competitive as well.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #62
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Another recommendation for Costco (who subcontracts the work to Arpi's). We had two technicians come out on Tuesday and install our central air. Very polite and professional install, very thorough, explained everything very well. Would recommend again. The prices were very competitive as well.
What was the benefit to going thru Costco rather than to Aripi's directly? I assume its not even with Costco directly but some licensed/branded company using the costco name (like sears was a while back).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #63
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
What was the benefit to going thru Costco rather than to Aripi's directly? I assume its not even with Costco directly but some licensed/branded company using the costco name (like sears was a while back).
The $ 300 Costco gift card..plus the cash back if you're an exec member. (this was 2 summers ago, and at the time it was service experts not Arpi's...we installed 2 units.. so $ 600 in Costo gift cards)
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #64
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still a bit confused, like anything, if you're getting $300 in gift cards, you're still paying for that extra $300 in your total price. You'd imagine Arpi's would do the same deal minus $300 since that is the end transaction that is occuring and you'd just be cutting out the middle man.
That said, if going through costco somehow offered better service/guarantee/type policies on the unit (somehow through their awesome return/satisfaction policies) I could see why going through them would be advantageous.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #65
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still a bit confused, like anything, if you're getting $300 in gift cards, you're still paying for that extra $300 in your total price. You'd imagine Arpi's would do the same deal minus $300 since that is the end transaction that is occuring and you'd just be cutting out the middle man.
That said, if going through costco somehow offered better service/guarantee/type policies on the unit (somehow through their awesome return/satisfaction policies) I could see why going through them would be advantageous.
Apri's gives you a special "Costco price" which is lower than you would typically be able to get. Costco came in over $300 cheaper than what was quoted to us at the home and garden show a couple of weeks ago.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #66
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Costco suppliers aren't allowed by agreement to quote a lower cost direct to consumers.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #67
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
The $ 300 Costco gift card..plus the cash back if you're an exec member. (this was 2 summers ago, and at the time it was service experts not Arpi's...we installed 2 units.. so $ 600 in Costo gift cards)
No it's still service experts and arpi's. Depends which costco you go to. Had a good expierience with both.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #68
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I went to Arpi's direct and when I mentioned Costco he was able to adjust my quote down to $300 less on the purchase. Kept saying how he can't give that, unless the customer is saying they'll go through Costco.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #69
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We just moved into a new home. It's a bigger place with 2 furnaces. Is it possible to only put AC on the upper floor and leave the main floor? I like AC but don't want to spring the cash for 2 units.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #70
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
We just moved into a new home. It's a bigger place with 2 furnaces. Is it possible to only put AC on the upper floor and leave the main floor? I like AC but don't want to spring the cash for 2 units.
Yes. This is what I did in my place, and it works great. The basement is always cool, and enough cold air comes down from upstairs to keep the main floor decent even on hot days. The big benefit to me is having it cool when I go to sleep, so upstairs where the bedrooms is makes the most sense.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #71
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Yes. This is what I did in my place, and it works great. The basement is always cool, and enough cold air comes down from upstairs to keep the main floor decent even on hot days. The big benefit to me is having it cool when I go to sleep, so upstairs where the bedrooms is makes the most sense.
Great, this is exactly what I'm hoping to do. Plus I figure setting the main floor furnance's fan to circulate during the hottest hours will help draw the cool down even more since the return ductwork is shared.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #72
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI - in the process of collecting Central AC quotes from a bunch of companies.

They're all pretty consistent (in the 3.1k to 3.5k range for base units, up to $4k for higher Seer units).

Arpi's via Costco was cheaper than the other Lennox dealer when the Costco cash is considered, but not cheaper than other brands/installers. Plus, with other brands I don't have to deal with Costco cards and getting a Lennox unit....

From the sounds of it, most AC's lifespan and performance is comperable between brands and really just depends on the quality of the install. Right now I'm leaning towards a York 14.5 seer unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #73
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

I guess it depends on the size of the AC unit you put in. I've never had a problem cooling down the house with just the one unit.

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #74
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't mind an A/C experts opinion. The idea is, I think, that you run upper level at night and main and lower during daytime, if you put two A/C units in.

Would be interesting to hear. While having A/C on your upper level is key, having two units lets you optimize draw and control the hot air rising at night? Balance. Maybe? Who can speak to this. How do we achieve maximum efficiency.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #75
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We installed 2 units, because we have two furnaces. The way the furnaces are set up is the upper floor is on one, the main and basement are on another. I would almost have preferred the basement on one the and other floors on another. When the ACs are running the basement get pretty cold. Otherwise it's nice to be able to control the upper, which is south facing, temperature individually.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #76
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We only run 1 unit, but its only a one story rancher (the basement stays cool even without the ac). One should be more than enough for Calgary temps. We run a York with no problems for the past 8 years.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #77
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Newbie alert...I'm sorry for the stupid questions, and if they have already been answered.

- Do you have to install two units if you have two furnaces?
- Is there an advantage to mounting the unit to the house, elevated, versus on the ground?
- Is there any recurring maintenance to worry about with A/C units? (Do we have to brush the snow off the thing in the winter? Or make sure its cleaned or anything before it can be powered up in the summer?)
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #78
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Newbie alert...I'm sorry for the stupid questions, and if they have already been answered.

- Do you have to install two units if you have two furnaces?
- Is there an advantage to mounting the unit to the house, elevated, versus on the ground?
- Is there any recurring maintenance to worry about with A/C units? (Do we have to brush the snow off the thing in the winter? Or make sure its cleaned or anything before it can be powered up in the summer?)
a) Yes
b) Google
c) You'll need a winter cover and to hose it off of debris every so often. Rest of the power on/off procedures, your installer will explain.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #79
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So ergo, with two furnaces, I have to double the price of figures I'm seeing?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #80
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes - although if you have 2 units, each will likely be a bit cheaper as they will be smaller units (saves maybe $50 - $100 per half tonne).

While we initially looked at and got quoted for 1 furnace (top floor only, bedrooms), we are leaning to two as we have 3 full storeys of south exposure (non-stop sun all day) windows. One 1.5-2ton unit likely could keep the bedrooms cool, but wouldn't make much of a dent on the rest of the house.