Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #121
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, that seems like a solid idea. Do we have have those types of missiles?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #122
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No we don't its usually a harpoon package, but you'd have to upgrade the fire control systems on the sub, there might also be some physical changes to the loading system. But the capabilities are there, The US has horizontal launch harpoons and Tomahawk long range cruise missiles. The Harpoons are primarily used as anti shipping missiles, the Tomahawks were used for land attack.

The Americans' have the verticle launch systems in the 688i but I think that the Virginia and Seawolf classes don't have them and launch missiles through the torpedo tubes.

When they added the vertical launch tubes to the 688 it was for land attack purposes. Firing a antiship missile out of a vertical launch tube wouldn't make sense because you'd have to basically hover the boat at about 60 feet which leaves you terribly exposed.

The Russian Cruise missile attack boats still stick to the vertical launch tubes, but they're mainly designed to attack formations and not boats. They fire from extreme range using telemetry from an aircraft of ship. But the vertical launch tubes aren't really built for snap shots, whereas the torpedo tube launched missiles are.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #123
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Canada to send a brigade group to Latvia to send a deterrence message to Russia

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30699088/

I tend to think that Trudeau was pressured into this during the Obama visit as he's noted that Nato allies are not pulling their weight.

We are now in direct confrontation with the Russians.

It will be interesting to see what the force mix is.

The US is sending an armored brigade to bolster Latvia's defense. I would expect that it will be a heavy armor brigade.

Canada will probably send light infantry with light armor compliments.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #124
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First Israeli F-35 rolls off the assembly line. Israeli firms get immediate benefits from side deals with Lockheed Martin

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ent-chief-says

More Garble Garble from the Liberals on the Jet Fighter replacement, looks like no plans for the Super Hornet as a emergency short term solution, and they're going to industry consultations.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sajjan-...ions-1.2295293

This is a prime example of why the Department of National Defense fails time and time again to get anything done. This will be stuck in a committee and forgotten about.

We need a much stronger MND.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #125
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Canada to send a brigade group to Latvia to send a deterrence message to Russia

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30699088/

I tend to think that Trudeau was pressured into this during the Obama visit as he's noted that Nato allies are not pulling their weight.

We are now in direct confrontation with the Russians.

It will be interesting to see what the force mix is.

The US is sending an armored brigade to bolster Latvia's defense. I would expect that it will be a heavy armor brigade.

So Russia is the new bogey-man. What do we have to deter Russia from? They aren't planning on invading the Baltics anytime soon.

Also, a rotating force of 4000 troops is a pretty pathetic deterrent force.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #126
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Perfect........

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...anadian-forces

A little bit of me thinks the military make it so difficult to see who can handle the nonstop stupidity and seemingly illogical actions they will encounter in the military.

If this bothers him, he is in for a long term of service........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #127
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This is a prime example of why the Department of National Defense fails time and time again to get anything done. This will be stuck in a committee and forgotten about.
A new study/process is a valid looking course of action that provides a secure buffer from the next step, which is to actually do something/spend money.

Put another way: "We [GOC] have no idea what to do. We [GOC] said we wouldn't buy the F-35, but if we [GOC] hold a competition, it's going to win. We [GOC] need "consultations" on how to cook the books so something else wins and we [GOC] don't look bad politically."
Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #128
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
So Russia is the new bogey-man. What do we have to deter Russia from? They aren't planning on invading the Baltics anytime soon.

Also, a rotating force of 4000 troops is a pretty pathetic deterrent force.
Its to prevent Russia from doing what they did in the Ukraine which was basically walk in via proxy and then refuse to give it back.

And its not a deterrence force, its a trip wire, and a delaying force.

That's the strategy that I think they're following.

Right now a battle between Russia and Nato on European soil is almost unwinnable, the Russians have a massive advantage in man power and in terms of length of their logistical line.

However NATO is obligated to bolster the defenses of a NATO ally if its requested.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #129
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Perfect........

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...anadian-forces

A little bit of me thinks the military make it so difficult to see who can handle the nonstop stupidity and seemingly illogical actions they will encounter in the military.

If this bothers him, he is in for a long term of service........
His first choice was Int O - a trade with very little openings each year and is typically filled with occupational transfers anyway. Then he chose pilot. Pilot! Only the most competitive trade we have and they sure aren't looking for 30-year-olds with no experience. So, now he is looking at Marine Engineer, a trade that I think is disappearing in the new year.

Yeah, the recruiting system is broken, but this guy hasn't done himself any favors with some of his decisions.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #130
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
His first choice was Int O - a trade with very little openings each year and is typically filled with occupational transfers anyway. Then he chose pilot. Pilot! Only the most competitive trade we have and they sure aren't looking for 30-year-olds with no experience. So, now he is looking at Marine Engineer, a trade that I think is disappearing in the new year.

Yeah, the recruiting system is broken, but this guy hasn't done himself any favors with some of his decisions.
031 his ass

I thought it was comical. Mainly, the all capitals email. We can all remember a similar level of frustration. One of my top ones was standing in the pissing rain in Hunter Liggett for 8 hours waiting......for something that never happened.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
A new study/process is a valid looking course of action that provides a secure buffer from the next step, which is to actually do something/spend money.

Put another way: "We [GOC] have no idea what to do. We [GOC] said we wouldn't buy the F-35, but if we [GOC] hold a competition, it's going to win. We [GOC] need "consultations" on how to cook the books so something else wins and we [GOC] don't look bad politically."
At the end of the day, the F-35A's are starting to roll out for delivery, and are actively being used in the States. So the longer this goes and the more countries that take successful delivery of the F-35A the worse this situation is going to get for the Government.

I believe that Denmark is getting their delivery soon,

The Australians are still expecting to be fully operational by 2021. The Italians are expecting to have their first squadron active by I think 2020, and they expect a ton of money from their F-35A contract.

Basically by the time Canada unfists itself and decides on a plane, we'll probably be taking delivery in 2030 and it will be inferior in every way to the F-35.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #132
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The Americans' have the verticle launch systems in the 688i but I think that the Virginia and Seawolf classes don't have them and launch missiles through the torpedo tubes.
I believe the Virginias have VLS
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #133
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You're right they have 12 tubes that are designed to carry the tomahawk land attack cruise missiles. But they still fire their antiship missiles out of the forward torpedo tubes.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #134
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2879194/ca...ver-190k-each/

Sadly the Ilitis never lived up to the hype.

While great for quick hit and run or recce, I don't think this is the sort of rig I want to sit in while PeaceKeeping.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #135
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Iltis was garbage, and one of the biggst con jobs on Canadians by Chretien and Bombardier.

I remember we used the Iltis when I was in, tremendously bad in cold weather, a soft top, no bottom armor to speak of notoriously cranky, and one of the worst gear boxes ever. Plus they tended to blow up the mounted radio sets when you started them.

In this day and age of "peacekeeping" we're going to see more and more IED's employed, these things look really vulnerable to them, I guess we'll have to see what the protective equipment is for them.

The G-Wagon was a pretty good choice by the Conservative's to replace the Iltis in a hurry, but while there was a snap on light armor kit for it, it wasn't really designed for IED survival.

If we're going to really go into this whole stupid peacekeeping thing, then the investment has to be in roadside bomb detection and sweeping.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #136
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As an add-on the F-35 makes its debut at the burnaby air show as two jets flew in from Indian Hills.

The F-35 has now been declared combat ready and countries like Israel have started to receive aircraft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35...show-1.3718078

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f35-...tion-1.3704508

Old 08-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #137
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Iltis was garbage, and one of the biggst con jobs on Canadians by Chretien and Bombardier.

I remember we used the Iltis when I was in, tremendously bad in cold weather, a soft top, no bottom armor to speak of notoriously cranky, and one of the worst gear boxes ever. Plus they tended to blow up the mounted radio sets when you started them.

In this day and age of "peacekeeping" we're going to see more and more IED's employed, these things look really vulnerable to them, I guess we'll have to see what the protective equipment is for them.

The G-Wagon was a pretty good choice by the Conservative's to replace the Iltis in a hurry, but while there was a snap on light armor kit for it, it wasn't really designed for IED survival.

If we're going to really go into this whole stupid peacekeeping thing, then the investment has to be in roadside bomb detection and sweeping.
I was being facetious about the Ilitis, suddenly the near 40 year old M113's we had look good.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #138
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like something that would be deployed in Red Alert.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #139
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cost of leaving the F-35 includes a 313 million dollar payout, and probably the loss of F-35 specific work in the Canadian aerospace industry

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...documents-show

F-35 weapons tests record

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-...-record-2016-8

F-35's deployed to Japan

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/washington-...s-soil-1577561

Pentagon tester still claims issues with the F-35, though its been declared operational

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ef-tester-says

Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #140
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez, usually pulling out saves you money in the long run...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote