Old 05-27-2024, 02:54 PM   #12321
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
https://www.readtheline.ca/p/andrew-...m_medium=email

Granted, not all courtships are fairy book romances, but this gave me the ick
No Thanks for sharing......lol ugh. I need a shower.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:28 PM   #12322
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The last thing anyone should want to know about are the sexual pursuits of Pierre Poilievre. This is bordering on creepy and cultish.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:06 PM   #12323
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:43 PM   #12324
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am not opposed to the move but this also has the chance to be abused. I have relatives overseas who are going to be ecstatic when I mention this is a possibility if they qualify, which I think they would? My uncle came to Canada with my father in the 70's, both got citizenship. My father stayed, my uncle left 10 years later and had children overseas. I would assume that this would make my cousins potentially Canadian now?

There is nothing wrong with granting citizenship to "lost Canadians" but you need to have strong safeguards in place to limit abuse. I think far too often we are a little too naÔve and worried about being classified as racist if we put policies in place or question certain tactics. We have issues with birth tourism, legit multimillionaires and even billionaires collecting government assistance and programs without qualifying and even more. A friends wife who is from the US and is technically here illegally on a tourist visa, somehow got an AB Health Card and had a baby recently. Seeing the requirements for getting a card she just does not qualify.

The old Russian saying, "Trust but verify" I think is prudent
Knowing how hard it is to get a health care card without proper ID, I don't believe this at all
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:41 PM   #12325
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Knowing how hard it is to get a health care card without proper ID, I don't believe this at all

Trust me, I am SHOCKED and appalled by it. What really grinds my gears is the level of complaining myself and my friends entire family have had to endure in regards to our "substandard health care" system" during this entire ordeal. She is VERY much pro American business healthcare and insurance system but clearly loves the free medical care here and complains about it. She is used to giving the orders to medical professionals and complains that she get's turned down a lot here for things she wants.

My other friends haven't thought about this in detail but she definitely comes and goes into Canada on the tourist visa and has no official residency here. I am trying to figure out how she pulled this off but only speculate. My friends and I can clearly see she's forcing his hand into moving to the US without putting an ounce of effort to hold her end of the deal about being in Canada.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #12326
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Trust me, I am SHOCKED and appalled by it. What really grinds my gears is the level of complaining myself and my friends entire family have had to endure in regards to our "substandard health care" system" during this entire ordeal. She is VERY much pro American business healthcare and insurance system but clearly loves the free medical care here and complains about it. She is used to giving the orders to medical professionals and complains that she get's turned down a lot here for things she wants.

My other friends haven't thought about this in detail but she definitely comes and goes into Canada on the tourist visa and has no official residency here. I am trying to figure out how she pulled this off but only speculate. My friends and I can clearly see she's forcing his hand into moving to the US without putting an ounce of effort to hold her end of the deal about being in Canada.
you mean an ID card written on a piece of toilet paper has potential for scamming?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:54 PM   #12327
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And yet you were complicit with the scam?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:57 PM   #12328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Be the change you want to see in this world.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:59 PM   #12329
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
you mean an ID card written on a piece of toilet paper has potential for scamming?

Well her US driver's license should transfer over easily, they have registered their marriage in AB, she has a lease agreement in her name, utility bills etc. She married a Canadian citizen in AB. She isn't a refugee or anything and doesn't look the part, she is a corporate executive and looks the part. Who knows?

Edit: I just read your post again and yes, considering you can have the application processed at a registry office, perhaps that is the fail point? Who knows?

Last edited by curves2000; 05-28-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:16 PM   #12330
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well her US driver's license should transfer over easily, they have registered their marriage in AB, she has a lease agreement in her name, utility bills etc. She married a Canadian citizen in AB. She isn't a refugee or anything and doesn't look the part, she is a corporate executive and looks the part. Who knows?

Edit: I just read your post again and yes, considering you can have the application processed at a registry office, perhaps that is the fail point? Who knows?
She's not a permanent resident?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:00 PM   #12331
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/deca...tion-1.6902450

Quote:
A bill that would ban federal employers from using replacement workers or "scabs" during lockouts or strikes passed the House of Commons unanimously on Monday.
MPs from all parties voted in favour of the so-called "anti-scab" legislation, seeing it pass 316-0.
Good to see protection for workers.

Iggy, you are running out of reasons not to vote conservative, since they unanimously supported this.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:59 PM   #12332
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post

Iggy, you are running out of reasons not to vote conservative, since they unanimously supported this.
Until they check off the one item thatís enough for me to not support them, convince them to change that and you can come to the ballot box with me at the next election to watch me mark mine for them

This legislation is a good thing but unfortunately it doesnít cover the overwhelming majority of workers across the country as they are provincially regulated.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:09 PM   #12333
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post

In fairness, every party voted for the legislation meaning the needle to shift to another party, by definition, doesn't move.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:21 PM   #12334
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
In fairness, every party voted for the legislation meaning the needle to shift to another party, by definition, doesn't move.
Or by the same logic they would probably have to give just a little bit more credit to whoever introduced the bill in the first place, I havenít looked into that yet but I bet I could guess which party they werenít from.

Credit where itís due though to Pierre, he had voted against this kind of legislation multiple times in the past so itís nice to see him come around a little bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 06:30 PM   #12335
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's your deal breaking issue?
Old 05-28-2024, 06:31 PM   #12336
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
So what's your deal breaking issue?
Their support and promotion of right to work laws.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:33 PM   #12337
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
She's not a permanent resident?

If she was, she would qualify for a health card. I can't figure it out. This isn't a case of birth tourism, but that is a concern that does plague Canadian hospitals as was discussed earlier.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #12338
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If she was, she would qualify for a health card. I can't figure it out. This isn't a case of birth tourism, but that is a concern that does plague Canadian hospitals as was discussed earlier.
Have you considered asking her how she got it?
Old 05-28-2024, 08:35 PM   #12339
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Sheís a corporate executive in the US while living in Canada?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:14 PM   #12340
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sheís a corporate executive in the US while living in Canada?

Works primarily remote but travels back to the US for extended periods of times, comes back to Canada for extended periods of times. Regardless, probably way over the 180 day limit she can stay here on the tourist visa.

Now that the baby arrived, that has slightly changed obviously as traveling with a newborn isn't easy and in my personal opinion, they are outta here come the expiration of their lease in the fall.