Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2022, 08:35 PM   #61
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Judy Blume works in a book store? Is it her store?
https://judyblume.com/2020/09/11/jud...s-of-key-west/
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:18 AM   #62
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now onto "Lookout: Love, Solitude, and Searching for Wildfire in the Boreal Forest" by Trina Moyles.

She grew up in Peace River, and felt a calling to come back and take a position as a fire lookout in northern Alberta. I'm approaching the halfway mark, it's definitely an interesting read. And seeing someone adjust to such a solitary lifestyle for 4-5 months is pretty interesting.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/bo.../9780735279919
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #63
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Now onto "Lookout: Love, Solitude, and Searching for Wildfire in the Boreal Forest" by Trina Moyles.

She grew up in Peace River, and felt a calling to come back and take a position as a fire lookout in northern Alberta. I'm approaching the halfway mark, it's definitely an interesting read. And seeing someone adjust to such a solitary lifestyle for 4-5 months is pretty interesting.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/bo.../9780735279919
Shout out to my home town!!

I'm currently reading 'The Longest Day' by Cornelius Ryan. Written in 1959 and a fascinating account of the D Day landings in France. My son had it in his room, bought it at a second hand book store. I wish I had found this book years ago.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #64
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Starting on Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon, which I've heard good things about; off to an intriguing start.

This was pretty good. Not really plot driven, there's a mystery but much of the book meanders away from that, and despite being categorized as horror it isn't really horror though there are some minor supernatural elements. Really well-written though and captures the essence of a 12 year-old in 1960s Alabama.

For those that enjoyed Piranesi, the Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow is another book I'd recommend.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #65
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished off a fun one - 2113, which is a collection of sci-fi short stories inspired by Rush songs. Some stories are clearly fed by the direction of the song, while some just take inspiration from the title or a line in the song. Rush fans would like it.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #66
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m reading “Gone With the Wind”. Learning a lot about the Deep South and the Civil War. It’s a fascinating story with excellent characters. I think I’m in love with Scarlett O’Hara haha.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #67
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just finished Red Lights on the Prairies by James H. Gray, a book written in the 70s about prostitution in the prairie cities in the early settler days. Essentially, wherever young working men (majority single, but the married ones usually didn't bring their families, so they acted as single too) went to make money, the working girls would follow. The brothels would set up shop outside city limits usually, but even when within the city, the police usually turned a blind eye, sometimes even availing of their services. When within the city, the red light district was usually segregated from the rest of the city and away from the respectable population so there weren't too many complaints. The police would generally only take token action when public clamour reached a point where it was hard to ignore, usually stoked by some Protestant moral reformist running for office or otherwise making a name for themselves.

The end of the era came due to a combination of the First World War and the Great Depression. Many young men went to war and never came back and so the male to female ratio eventually caught up. In addition, prohibition led to the madams not making enough money from their brothels.

Some other tidbits:

- I've been watching The Deuce on HBO recently and there's a scene early on of a pimp waiting at the train station to coerce wide eyed newcomers to the Big Apple into the game. The same tactic was used back then too with some women arriving in the city hoping to get domestic work but ending up in the trade.

- For various reasons, prostitution didn't take off as much in Regina as it did in other cities, so Moose Jaw became the destination for young men who would take the train down for a night of sex, boozing and gambling.

- Saskatoon's first three brothels were all-white, all-black, and all-Japanese.

- Drumheller was the wildest town in the prairies with the author citing police corruption and the presence of the KKK. A large influx of miners led to wide open prostitution and gambling in the town.

- The author cites the Lethbridge brothels as being higher class establishments and puts it down to the clientele being mostly cowhands. Whereas miners and other workers just wanted a quick screw and some booze, the cowhands who were out in the wild for long periods of time just cherished female companionship and wanted some conversation and musical entertainment along with their sex.

- The main location of brothels in Calgary at the time was at Nose Creek, with some others located on the north side of the Langevin bridge, Brewery Flats past Inglewood and south in Manchester. The first known area in the city was in Hillhurst.

Afterwards, Ninth Avenue East became known as Whisky Row for the sheer number of bars and brothels and the author mentions that it still had that reputation in the 70s. When I moved here 20 years ago, I seem to remember someone pointing that area out to me as being where hookers hung out (the area between the Fort and City Hall) I think I recall a Billingsgate fish and chip shop being there? Is that true or am I completely misremembering or conflating multiple memories?

Is streetwalking still a thing? If so, where do they congregate now? I would've assumed that things have been taken online now but have no idea.

Last edited by Swift; 04-11-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:35 PM   #68
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think I recommended this same book over a decade ago in the previous thread. I'm reading it for the first time since then and am just as hooked as I was back then. For the non-fiction readers, I'd recommend Conquistador: Hernan Cortes, Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs, by Buddy Levy.

Its written as narrative history, so if you enjoy a more scholarly read this may feel too straightforward. It's highly enjoyable and action packed to the point of almost seeming unbelievable, genuinely a case of fact being stranger than fiction. Given its true, I almost can't believe they haven't turned it into a big Hollywood movie (to my knowledge) , though I suppose it may be rated beyond R for how bloody it is.

Still, beyond all the tragedy, it's a fascinating story with so many twists & turns and incredible moments, and I always enjoy first contact meetings in history between two worlds. To me, this is the most interesting first contact moment in recorded history. I can't put it down and I've already read it before!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-27-2022 at 11:32 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 10:00 PM   #69
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hernán Cortés and the Conquest of Mexico

https://explorerspodcast.com/hernan-cortes/

I like the Explorers podcast.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #70
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! Yeah for all his faults and all the horrible things he did during that period, Cortes was incredibly wily, resilient and resourceful. He infuriated me many times during that book, but he's an incredibly interesting figure.

I'll definitely give that a listen
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:22 PM   #71
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I finished Heat 2 last night and it was great. Especially if you're a fan of the movie.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #72
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am now on to Children of Dune. Sad that I have only one more to read.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #73
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
In light of what is happening in Ukraine, I’ve picked up one of my favourites of Tom Clancy.

Red Storm Rising may be a little dated but it’s an incredibly researched novel - as to weaponry, tactics and military mindset.

Always a good read. Cardinal in the Kremlin is another one fitting of these times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #74
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana. Very short story, so i'm trying to stretch it out, but it's got me pretty good right now. It's weird that a book sends shivers down my spine, but this one has had its moments
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #75
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished off Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy by Patrick O'Brian this morning. It's a short companion piece to the Aubrey-Maturin series (it gives some context to life onboard a ship of the line). It's for devotees of the series and naval history fans only, but it's reminding me that a re-read of the series is due.

edit: not sure if there's any other devotees of the Master and Commander series here. If there are, they should watch this - Patrick O'Brian was a really enigmatic guy:

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 09-01-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone read the series by Terry Goodkind? Wizard's First Rule I think is the first book.

I love fantasy novels so I'm going to give this a try. Wondering what people's thoughts are?

I hope its not so obscure no one has heard of it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #77
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife just found her Kobo that she had misplaced over a year ago. It’s timely given that we’ll be away for three months this fall and winter.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #78
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Has anyone read the series by Terry Goodkind? Wizard's First Rule I think is the first book.

I love fantasy novels so I'm going to give this a try. Wondering what people's thoughts are?

I hope its not so obscure no one has heard of it.

People either love it or hate it. The author was a strong follower of Ayn Rand and basically was trying to do a fantasy version of Atlas Shrugged. If you are a Rand follower you might enjoy it, if you aren't you'll probably find the main characters to be completely abhorrent by around the 4th or 5th book if not earlier. Personally I found the first book rather derivative and it went downhill from there. I think there are a lot of much better fantasy series.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #79
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

A series I really loved in the fantasy/ magic realm that is still never talked about is the Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. Highly recommend if you're interested in a unique view of magic and religion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #80
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am reading a farewell to arms. Which is not as good as Hemmingway's other books.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote