Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #61
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I notice that a lot of the Leaf fans I run into at the annual Flames / Leafs game were in that category and never had anything to do with Ontario. Calgary and Alberta have been aggregating migrants from the rest of the country for decades.

There's a lot of Nufy's who are Leafs fans going back to the St John's Maple Leaf days. Also back in the day, if you were a farmer in Manitoba, Sask, or Alberta there were only two Canadian teams and their fandom was passed down to their children.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #62
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why so many Leaves fans? - One has to recall that approximately half the population has an IQ under 100.
O[COLOR="lime"[/COLOR]

Last edited by Steve Bozek; 03-05-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Wanted green text
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #63
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Most people from the Atlantic provinces are Leaf fans as well.
It is an even split between Habs and Leafs fans.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #64
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Enormous numbers of Ontarians have migrated west over the decades - many keep their hockey loyalties. There is also one game a year here, so as many of them grab tickets as possible.

This is surprising?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They move out here from Ontario to make money and live a better life. The Leafs are a team that has fans that pass from generation to generation so they have fans born and raised in Alberta/BC/Sask.

The same for Quebecers moving out west. The Habs fans are passed on too. Having teams come annually as Bunk mentioned is exactly why it is a circus at these two games and for the other Original Six teams to a much smaller degree.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #65
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My company has a lot of Leaf fans, but it's not surprising since we were acquired by a Toronto company, so now we have a lot of people here who are originally from out East. Plus, my company traditionally seems to have a lot of people who originated from BC, Ontario, and Edmonton.

My company also has a box at the Dome, so whenever they play against a rival Canadian team, we usually have some people in the box representing the opposing team.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #66
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
When you start watching hockey in the 70's, there's two teams in Canada (we don't count the Canucks). Some of us keep cheering for those teams.
You see I grew up cheering for Bobby Orr and the big bad Bruins. I was still a wee lad but I hated that giraffe (Esposito called him that) by the name of Ken Dryden who played goal for the Canadiens. Cost us a Cup!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #67
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't understand why people ever care about teams representing cities they didn't grow up in or never lived in at any point in time. Unless there is allegiance to the club in the family because parents once resided there. Otherwise...i dont get it.

The logic in passionately supporting a city thousands of kms away whose residents probably don't give a rodents ass about your city or region truly escapes me.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-05-2019 at 09:35 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I don't understand why people ever care about teams representing cities they didn't grow up in or never lived in at any point in time. Unless there is allegiance to the club in the family because parents once resided there. Otherwise...i dony get it.

The logic in passionately supporting a city thousands of kms whose residents probably don't give a rodents ass about your city or region truly escapes me.

It's even stranger with Canadians being extremely into American football teams, or specific European soccer teams.
I agree. Anyone who doesn’t live within the City of Calgary and cheers for the Flames is an idiot. Especially residents of Airdrie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #69
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I agree. Anyone who doesn’t live within the City of Calgary and cheers for the Flames is an idiot. Especially residents of Airdrie.
Lol. Airdrie is basically Calgary. Even anywhere in Alberta at least makes sense. And it's understandable to adopt a team living in Sask where you dont have one. But Calgary isn't basically Toronto, not even close. What causes people to be more prideful of a city that far away than the club that represents their own?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Airdrie is basically Calgary. Even anywhere in Alberta. And it's understandable to adopt a team living in Sask where you dont have one. But Calgary isn't basically Toronto, not even close. What causes people to be more prideful of a city that far away than the club that represents their own?
Ok, ok. Airdrie residents are good.

But those Flames fans from Crossfield, let me tell ya. Idiots!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #71
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have friends who are Leaf fans and for no other real reason than the fact that their families came from Toronto, so they adopted it I guess. My dad is also from Toronto but soon realized their was no point in giving a crap about a team you no longer get to wholly experience whether that is seeing the team in their barn on a semi consistent basis, or talking to a stranger in the street about last nights game with mutual interest. I don't really understand it either because the proximity is really the whole point of being a fan in the first place in my opinion.

For example, having the ability to experience the team as a real fan should, like making a reasonable drive to see Iginla's jersey go up, or making the trip to experience the red mile during playoffs. Something a fan across the country probably won't experience consistently unless they are truly devoted or native to the area. How can your passion really persist without that local experience?
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #72
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand why people ever care about teams representing cities they didn't grow up in or never lived in at any point in time. Unless there is allegiance to the club in the family because parents once resided there. Otherwise...i dont get it.

The logic in passionately supporting a city thousands of kms away whose residents probably don't give a rodents ass about your city or region truly escapes me.
Lots of people have a favourite player when they are kids and just end up following the team. Kids tend to follow players more than cities. They don't learn to have "city pride" until they are older.

Last edited by ST20; 03-06-2019 at 12:23 AM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #73
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a buddy whose son originally cheered for the Canucks because he wanted to piss off his dad. Then he actually fell for the team during the Sedin years and when the team was good, and now he is a legit Canucks fan, even though he was born and raised in Calgary.

Some people just fall in love with teams or an athlete for no real reason. I am a big Roger Federer fan, and I have absolutely no connection to the Swiss.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #74
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up in Calgary after graduation moved to BC now I have a family of my own. My family cheers on the Flames, its generational pride of your roots regardless of where you live.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #75
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

we cheer for laundry and the teenagers who slap a peice of rubber around with sticks who wear it

i think any reason is as good as any other
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I have a buddy whose son originally cheered for the Canucks because he wanted to piss off his dad. Then he actually fell for the team during the Sedin years and when the team was good, and now he is a legit Canucks fan, even though he was born and raised in Calgary.
Gross. I'd be tempted to change my will.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #77
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gross. I'd be tempted to change my will.
Ha ha yah, my buddy was initially annoyed by it, but now that his son is grown up, I think he enjoys the ribbing between them, especially right now when the Canucks are sucking.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #78
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Facebook fans of NHL teams in Septembers 2018 (in millions)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-league-teams/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...eneration-sex/

close to one quarter of the hockey fans in Canada support the Montreal Canadiens (23%), followed by half this proportion who root either for the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Vancouver Canucks (12% each). After this, no team achieves even double digit support, although the Calgary Flames (7%), Pittsburgh Penguins (6%), Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets (5% each) attract the support of one twentieth or more. Two thirds of Quebec fans support the Habs (64%), one third of Ontario fans support the Leafs (33%), one half those in the prairies support the Jets (50%), one quarter support either the Flames (28%) or the Oilers (23%) in Alberta, and in BC, one half support the Canucks (53%).

Read more at: http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/1...-are-nhl-fans/
Copyright ©Forum Research Inc.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #79
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a Habs fan as a kid. But I was the only one - everyone else liked Boston. Of course, the Habs were winners and had a super-dominant team. I completely changed allegiances the second the Flames came to town. Plus I didn't like the grinding Canadiens that evolved (Carbonneau et al).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #80
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I was a Habs fan as a kid. But I was the only one - everyone else liked Boston. Of course, the Habs were winners and had a super-dominant team. I completely changed allegiances the second the Flames came to town. Plus I didn't like the grinding Canadiens that evolved (Carbonneau et al).

I was a Habs fan as well.

I remember saying,”they’ll always be the Atlanta Flames to me” over the summertime.

By September, I was fully bought in to the ‘Calgary’ Flames.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote