Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #4241
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Statistics say Gaudreau should have a bounce back season. Why not wait until his value rises this year and then deal him at the deadline when GM's are more desperate and his value is higher. The team is built to compete now, we need a return that has a piece that helps us now if he is dealt. That being said I don't think the Flames have any intention of trading #13.

Teams at the deadline tend to trade for current assets, giving up future assets.

Assuming the Flames are in a playoff spot, why would a well producing Johnny be traded?

And what contending team would give up a current asset for Johnny?

If GM’s are desperate at the trade deadline, wouldn’t that also describe ours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #4242
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I’d still argue that a healthy Monahan Edges out a healthy Langkow and I really dug what Daymond brought the 5 seasons he was here and will always remember that 30+ goal 70+ point season where he was dominant.
I feel like the only time where Monahan really played at the level of peak Langkow was in the 2016-17 playoffs (where ironically that line was robbed regularily by a redhot John Gibson).

I guess Monahan has a bit of an argument in terms of counting stats, but I think he's worse than his counting stats suggest, and Langkow was better than his.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #4243
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Trading Monahan would be a huge mistake. He's the best center we've had in 30 years and no one has actually proven they could reasonably replace his production in that role.
And Klefbom is the best Oilers defender since they traded Pronger, does that mean they don't trade him for value if it comes up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #4244
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan produces more than Langkow or Conroy did but those guys had an all around game that he doesn’t.

Monahan puts up bigger numbers but I’d argue either of those two guys are more likely to help you win a playoff series. I get why people see it differently though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #4245
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Monahan produces more than Langkow or Conroy did but those guys had an all around game that he doesn’t.

Monahan puts up bigger numbers but I’d argue either of those two guys are more likely to help you win a playoff series. I get why people see it differently though.
Those guys were complete players that could make their wingers better. Monahan relies on Gaudreau in a way Langkow or Conroy never did with their wingers. I can't believe this is even a debate. Monahan is a 25-20-45 second liner on a contender and he provides nothing outside of scoring. We are so lucky we found Gaudreau in 2011 or we would be knees deep in a second rebuild by now. Treliving should really thank his scouts for the job they did setting him up to succeed. Shame he can't seem to figure out how to get past the 50 yard line in 6 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #4246
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Those guys were complete players that could make their wingers better. Monahan relies on Gaudreau in a way Langkow or Conroy never did with their wingers. I can't believe this is even a debate. Monahan is a 25-20-45 second liner on a contender and he provides nothing outside of scoring. We are so lucky we found Gaudreau in 2011 or we would be knees deep in a second rebuild by now. Treliving should really thank his scouts for the job they did setting him up to succeed. Shame he can't seem to figure out how to get past the 50 yard line in 6 years.

Craig Conroy was averaging 33 points a season before he got to Calgary and was placed on a line with Jarome Iginla.

Not sure if “Craig Conroy didn’t rely on his wingers” is a good argument for this one given he played the majority of his time in Calgary with a first ballot hall of famer.

Last edited by bax; 11-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #4247
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Craig Conroy was averaging 33 points a season before he got to Calgary and was placed on a line with Jarome Iginla.

Not sure if “Craig Conroy didn’t rely on his wingers” is a good argument for this one given he played the majority of his time in Calgary with a first ballot hall of famer.
Conroy was buried in St.Louis before coming here. I wonder how good Monahan would look on a 3rd line? With his zero defensive acumen and complete lack of a possession game. He can't play the position effectively imo, and requires a top flight winger to carry him. Points are not everything. Conroy and Langkow were absolutely better overall hockey players. Monahan plays with a future hall of famer too for what it's worth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #4248
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I choose to only remember Jokinens first game against Philly that was a pay per view.

To this day I still can't believe that there was a time when we would pay like $15 to watch a Flames game on PPV a bunch of times a season.

It's like Narnia and just so bizarre, and yet I payed for all of them to not miss one single regular season game and friends were the same. Just crazy. Now I can barely muster up the care to watch a whole period without flipping to something else.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #4249
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conroy was buried in St.Louis before coming here. I wonder how good Monahan would look on a 3rd line? With his zero defensive acumen and complete lack of a possession game. He can't play the position effectively imo, and requires a top flight winger to carry him. Points are not everything. Conroy and Langkow were absolutely better overall hockey players. Monahan plays with a future hall of famer too for what it's worth.
Monahan scored 22 goals as a rookie getting 3rd line minutes with some 2nd unit PP time. His most talented regular line mate was Sven, who we all know didn’t spend the entire season feeding Monny gifts.

Monahan is an elite offensive player. He works well with Gaudreau because he thinks the game as well as Johnny.

Some players can’t play with high end guys - look how much trouble Pittsburgh has finding guys who can play with Sid.

Monahan can play with high end players because he is one. It isn’t complicated.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #4250
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Conroy was a very different style of player than Monahan. It’s a tough comparison from the get go.

I just don’t think it’s fair to say Monahan relies on a star winger to carry him and then say Conroy made his wingers better when he played primarily with the best player in franchise history.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #4251
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Monahan scored 22 goals as a rookie getting 3rd line minutes with some 2nd unit PP time. His most talented regular line mate was Sven, who we all know didn’t spend the entire season feeding Monny gifts.

Monahan is an elite offensive player. He works well with Gaudreau because he thinks the game as well as Johnny.

Some players can’t play with high end guys - look how much trouble Pittsburgh has finding guys who can play with Sid.

Too bad he lacks half of what a center needs to actually be elite. Looks good playing with Johnny for sure, gets his points, but a lot of guys could be a trigger man for an elite playmaker like that. We should expect more from the 1C spot. Backlund is a better C than Monahan overall. Im not sure the extra 15 points a year Monahan gets over even a Backlund can make up for being a coasting, drifting center that can't control the play to save his life. He's an opportunist, and a good one, but he's not a conplete player which is the most important thing a 1C needs to be. He is probably the most one dimensional player on the roster outside of Gaudreau. Terrible for a supposed 1C.

Last edited by TheoFleury; 11-11-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #4252
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Conroy was a very different style of player than Monahan. It’s a tough comparison from the get go.

I just don’t think it’s fair to say Monahan relies on a star winger to carry him and then say Conroy made his wingers better when he played primarily with the best player in franchise history.
And preferred to dump it in...
Old 11-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #4253
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah Conroy was a two way playmaker. Monahan is a one way sniper. I know who I'd rather have as my 1C if they were both 25.

Imagine Monahan trying to play with Iginla? Monahan is a poor man's Iginla himself. Iginla after he lost his power and defensive game. He just plays C but just barely. Needs a RW/C to play with to do it passingly.

Last edited by TheoFleury; 11-11-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #4254
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think this is the classic case of the middle is the rule ...

Monahan isn't a true number one center, but to suggest Craig Conroy was a better center is pretty unfair. Langkow has an argument for sure.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #4255
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Monahan isn't a true number one center, but to suggest Craig Conroy was a better center is pretty unfair. Langkow has an argument for sure.
Better overall hockey player. Conroy was a 50+ point center who was better defensively than Backlund or at least just as good. His career high was 75 points I think or around there. Monahan is a 60+ point center who is clueless defensively and has an 82 point career season. Monahan is also not as good of a playmaker as Conroy but maybe we would see that side of Monahan's game more if he was forced into a playmaking role if Gaudreau was removed. Im not sure who he would set up exactly but we would see.

I think that if a player is going to ignore 50% of the ice, he better be 50% more productive to compensate. All I'm seeing with Monahan is a guy floating around, sponging up most of his points thanks to Gaudreau and he honestly doesn't do much else. The fact that he doesn't play to his size doesn't help either. Langkow did way more with his 5'11" frame than Monahan does with his 6'3". Conroy wasn't a physical beast by any stretch but he wasn't invisible like Monahan either, playing like he's scared half the time

Make Lindholm Gaudreau's center and move Tkachuk to RW and you probably have a top 5-10 line in hockey. Unfortunately we only have 2 complete hockey players in our top 6 so Ward does what he can with what he has. Pretty much forced into playing Monahan with Gaudreau because he would probably be a 45 point no defense center without him and that is... basically useless.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #4256
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Those guys were complete players that could make their wingers better. Monahan relies on Gaudreau in a way Langkow or Conroy never did with their wingers.
You know it's okay to go outside right?
Old 11-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #4257
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if Monahan stays he is better served playing on the wing. He has a fantastic shot, I think his game is better suited to the wing where he doesn't have the C extra responsibilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #4258
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I don’t know if unfair is the word I’d use but history will show Monahan as the better player no doubt. Monahan scores goals and that is extremely valuable. And his ability in that regard has helped make the team a perennial playoff contender.

But I would argue the one dimensional nature of his game has made it very hard for his line to succeed against higher end opponents.

Would trading out a Monahan for a Conroy in his prime help the team win in the playoffs? I think it might, of course that line has been god awful 5on5 so it’s a sucker debate in the first place.

I’d just like to see something changed up personally and I don’t see an ideal role for Monahan on this team if we want things to change.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #4259
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

......until playoffs......
Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #4260
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is such a big year for this core and I don’t think there is much rope left at all with the superstar duo that has lead this team for the last half decade. Monahan and Gaudreau proved when they were one of the truly elite combos in the league the Flames were a 1st place team and would have with anyone.

Gaudreau ended up with 99pts and Monahan 82 but remember in the peak of that season both were on pace for 100+pts along with Lindholm pacing in the 90’s. If that combo or that line could ever sustain that for most of a season the Flames are a top 5 team in the league easily.

The consensus among hockey fans and critics is Monahan and Gaudreau are good, not great players and the Flames are a good, not great team. I think many thought that after a second first round loss (and 3rd in 4 years with a playoff miss) they were going to trade one or both of these players. Personally I was convinced it would happen but I guess the right deals haven’t materialized.

If the Flames were able to get peak Gaudreau and Monahan back along with their upgraded goaltending I think they would be first place in either the Pacific or Canadian division.
Closed Thread