Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #3201
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hoffman considering a 1 year deal

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Mike Hoffman is considering a one-year deal for his next NHL home. If he does that, there’s a good chance that he and Taylor Hall head to market next summer as the leaders in goals per game for all free agents 31 and under. Déjà vu all over again.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #3202
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect when he is dealt many will be angry about what the return is.
Then maybe his next contract won’t be so outrageous either.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #3203
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect when he is dealt many will be angry about what the return is.
Yeah, if we're talking about it, then rival scouts and GMs have the same information. Then, in two years the team that aquires him will have to re-sign him-likely to a more expensive contract, and if you're looking at Johnny right now, that's probably not too appealing. I would hazzard a guess that we're not going to get the big 3-prospect, pick, and a young player.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #3204
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Colombus deal to Calgary for Anderson was any indication, it's that the Flames probably want to get a bigger body on the top line. I'm all in favour of this as long as the person has above average wheels. Aside from Tkachuk and the off-season signings, I don't think there's any player who is not available if the right deal came along. Frankly, aside from those three, nobody should feel comfortable as all should be on the trade calls. Very few are actually living up to a championship calibre game on the lines they play, so I really hope Treliving moves some of them for bigger bodies to get meaner but still be able to move. The division is way to difficult to compete with Colorado with the current roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #3205
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team to watch is Carolina. I can't find the local Carolina paper I saw it in, but there was an open question about how 'for such an up and coming team' they have been very, very quiet. They have cap, assets and holes in their roster.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #3206
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a site that shows a quick summary of what gaps each team currently still has without needing to click through each team individually?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #3207
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many teams are going to go into the season with a lot of cap space and some holes in their roster. A bunch of teams are going to try and cut costs during the pandemic, so it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina was one of those, even being an up and coming team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #3208
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hoffman considering a 1 year deal

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Mike Hoffman is considering a one-year deal for his next NHL home. If he does that, there’s a good chance that he and Taylor Hall head to market next summer as the leaders in goals per game for all free agents 31 and under. Déjà vu all over again.
Obviously we'd need to free up the money, but Hoffman on a 1 year deal is certainly more appetizing than locking him up long-term. Solves the issue of waiting for his seemingly inevitable fall off a cliff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #3209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yup I would be ok with moving Ryan to free up space for Hoffman on a one-year deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #3210
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Obviously we'd need to free up the money, but Hoffman on a 1 year deal is certainly more appetizing than locking him up long-term. Solves the issue of waiting for his seemingly inevitable fall off a cliff.
Agreed. Would be funny if we did clear up space and get him, and then we got Taylor next summer.

I like 1 year contracts with these sort of players because of the incentive they'll have to cash in on the next contract.

Hopping 1 year show me contracts for a top six forward every summer is a better idea than locking one down for 5 years. If I were a GM I'd have cap set aside to do exactly that.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #3211
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I mean, how many top-six forwards take one-year show-me deals in a normal off-season? I don't think this is something you can necessarily plan for.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #3212
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven’t heard much about him but I’d still prefer Granlund to Hoffman if term and $$$ are equal
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #3213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect a one year deal for Hoffman is at or near what he thinks he can get on a multi year deal next year. At least that’s where he’s gonna start.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #3214
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah I don't think moving Ryan's $3.125M frees up enough for Hoffman without any additional moves.

It'd free up enough for Granlund or Haula, though...

If no moves are made, depending what Mangiapane and Kylington get there might be enough to upgrade a $700k Rinaldo or Robinson to a ~$1M surprise depth F signing, like Galchenyuk or Melker Karlsson.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #3215
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One year deal for Hoffman would be fantastic, but won't be able to fit that in even by trading Ryan with no retention for nothing but a pick.

Would probably have to trade Hanifin too. Which I'd be fine with if the return was solid, and another cheap, veteran, fringe top 4 LHD could also be signed. Need a stop gap option until Valimaki finds his way, which IMO would only take part of a season.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #3216
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty well any of those guys would be enticing to bring in for the 1.5-3 range.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #3217
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Then maybe his next contract won’t be so outrageous either.
I wouldn’t want to bet on that
Old 10-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #3218
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hoffman would be a great add. Thats the type of boost the top 6 needs. Would obviously take some additional trades to make it happen though.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #3219
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not sure its worth trading any decent long term contracts for 1 year of Hoffman. Ie: We shouldn't be moving Hanifin to make this work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #3220
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chara has said he is currently looking at all his options.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread