Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #961
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would guarantee that's going to be a topic, I'm hoping that they have Mark as a guest, he's always an outstanding interview.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #962
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The dialogue at the beginning about all the people who died during the destruction of the two Death Stars immediately reminded me of the scene from Clerks when they talk about the innocent contractors who were tragically killed when the Rebels attacked.

There was a book in the legends EU called Death Star, it wasn't a bad book, it could have been better, but it covered the construction of the death star through to its destruction, it did feature the Tarkin and Leia and Kenobi and Vader stuff.

But the premise was that not everyone on the station was a space nazi or even in the military, one of the characters was a bar owner, one a escaped smuggler, a doctor, a librarian, the bar bouncer and a naval guard. There were lots of civilians on the stations when it was destroyed, it added a nice shade of grey picture.

At the same time the cool moment was getting inside of Vader's head and the elation he felt when he killed Ben, and then first the first time in a long time, when he saw the empty robes, he was afraid.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #963
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so glad I watched that before getting any spoilers. They need to put these episodes out at like 8 eastern so most people can watch at a similar time. If Disney has the budget for everything that happened in that episode, surely they can buy the server capacity and bandwidth to have everyone watch at once.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #964
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Grogu is older than Luke Skywalker...

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #965
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Did I miss them explain why the third blue armour mandalorian guy totally disappeared without any mention of him?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #966
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
Grogu is older than Luke Skywalker...
Ahsoka too. He's about the same age as Anakin. Of all the "Jedi" we've seen on this show, the oldest one is the "baby".

That's one thing that wasn't addressed. If he ages so slowly that at 50 he's the equivalent of a human in the 12-18 month range, he'll still be a child when his master dies, if he has a master from a species that ages at roughly the same rate as humans.

Originally, I thought that might be one of the reasons Ahsoka would refuse to train him. It wouldn't be a problem when the Jedi were at full strength and he could pass between different masters as they died off, but in their current state, it could leave a partially trained and vulnerable Padawan with no one to continue his training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Did I miss them explain why the third blue armour mandalorian guy totally disappeared without any mention of him?
They probably wanted the scene with the 4 bad-ass women taking down the Imperials all by themselves and he would have ruined it.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #967
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was so close to making it to this finale spoiler free. But some asshat on YouTube with like 12 subscribers posted a Vader/Luke hallway comparison probably 2 hours after it became available, and the spoilery thumbnail appeared in my recommendations of course. I really need to disconnect the router the day before any important episode.

I thought young Luke while not perfect was way way better than the Rogue One fakes. They probably had him remain with a neutral face and as few expressions as possible, because that’s where Tarkin and Leia really flew off the rails. And thank god they didn’t have him bouncing off the walls like a coked up superball. Favreau and Filoni are respectful to the prequels but they know what not to borrow from them.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #968
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Kennedy ordered an all-female girl power super squad in the finale?

Honestly feels not far off the real answer. Because one guy there would feel out of place to them.

Filoni and Favreau are great but Disney is weird.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #969
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

..Now to watch all the reaction videos of Luke's reveal.

My reaction was definitely up there. It's weird, because with the lone x-wing you knew by simple deduction of the limited possibilities available that it was Luke, but at the same time you just couldn't fully believe it until the hood was off.

Amazing.... then Jabba's Palace. Huge ROTJ vibes that episode. But ugh.. that was the OT reintroduction that Luke deserved in the sequels. At least we finally did get prime Luke, not alien titty milking recluse hobo Luke.

I'm happy for Hamill that he got a little redemption given how much the character means to him.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #970
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you didn't know after the X-wing and the green lightsaber you should be ashamed!

Last edited by nik-; 12-18-2020 at 10:34 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #971
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I noticed in the post-credits scene...

When Fett takes his throne, you can see what look like runic writing in the arc of the backrest of the throne...

Spoiler!

This caught my eye because the logo for the Ahsoka series has similar runic writing in an arc around the edge as well...

Spoiler!

(spoilered for image size)

They seem too similar to be coincidental. I wonder if there's a connection?
Old 12-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #972
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This series is the best piece of Star Wars ever created....better than the original trilogy....there I said it.

Will be interesting to see if they ever address Grogu in the future. It would seem that he would have been of the Jedi in training killed by Kylo when he destroyed Luke’s temple. But I don’t want to believe that and want to believe he was off with Mando somewhere or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Huge ROTJ vibes that episode. But ugh.. that was the OT reintroduction that Luke deserved in the sequels. At least we finally did get prime Luke, not alien titty milking recluse hobo Luke.

I'm happy for Hamill that he got a little redemption given how much the character means to him.
Thing is you couldn’t have this Luke in the new movies. If you have this Luke in the movies then it’s not much of a series because there would be no drama. Luke has to be a bit of a failure for the whole thing to make sense about why the galaxy is the way it is.

Personally I actually really liked Luke’s redemption arc in the new movies, it was the peripheral stuff that was lacking.

Easier for Luke to be this Luke in a timeline that’s set just a couple years after the original trilogy.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-18-2020 at 10:54 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #973
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That was a premium finale. Rally the team, Rescue the kid, Fall into the Trap, Unleash the unexpected Hero. Great, tight storyline.

If you missed it there's an after credit scene for the after credit scene,
Spoiler!

I'd say the only weakness is that I'm not enjoying the Moth Gideon character at all. I'm just not feeling the weight they keep trying to give him as the big bad. I keep waiting for Snoke to come out and announce he's the real villain.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:59 PM   #974
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I thought Moff Gideon was great this episode. Just did a great job as almost the narrator of the episode at times.

Think the last episode really sets up next season as well in terms of the throne of Mandalore
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #975
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay...

Spoiler!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #976
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Okay...

Spoiler!
I'm just going to cling to the hope that this is some giant move to totally negate the sequel trilogy
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #977
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm just going to cling to the hope that this is some giant move to totally negate the sequel trilogy
Disney, where ret-conning is our specialty.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #978
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I mean, there were rumours about redoing the trilogy. I doubt that ever happens, but I could see them doing everything in their power to make people forget about it.

While Star Wars has never ####ed with Timey Wimey stuff, would anyone be shocked if they found a way to 'Days of Future Past' it? Decide to make it a bad fever dream of someone who goes about trying to prevent it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #979
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On a side note, I really liked the orchestral rendition of the Mando theme during the end credits. I hope they use it again, it would be well suited for a potential feature film if it goes that way.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #980
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1340138828108017664