Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #141
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
LOL. You'd take him in an instant and deal someone if you had to. Only a moron would turn down a player of his calibre for free. Basically you're saying you wouldn't want a top 10 pick. That's stupid.
OK, who do you deal to make room for his cap hit? With the same stipulation – that you have to let that player go for free. We're just looking at the quality of a cap-compliant NHL roster here, not at asset management, because (as should be obvious) Horvat isn't a free agent and you wouldn't actually be getting him without giving up assets. Talking about how great it would be to gain such an asset for nothing is frivolous.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to make Brouwer disappear and move the remaining forwards around the lineup as required. But making Brouwer's contract go away, at this point, is just as much a pipe dream as getting Horvat for nothing.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #142
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
OK, who do you deal to make room for his cap hit? With the same stipulation – that you have to let that player go for free.
That stipulation makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
We're just looking at the quality of a cap-compliant NHL roster here, not at asset management, because (as should be obvious) Horvat isn't a free agent and you wouldn't actually be getting him without giving up assets. Talking about how great it would be to gain such an asset for nothing is frivolous.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to make Brouwer disappear and move the remaining forwards around the lineup as required. But making Brouwer's contract go away, at this point, is just as much a pipe dream as getting Horvat for nothing.
We could fit Horvat in immediately if we dealt Stajan. Brouwer would probably have to be dealt next summer when his full NTC switches to a partial.

This is a stupid thought experiment though. But Flames fans saying they wouldn't take Horvat for free is absurd. The underrating of him by a couple people in this thread is ridiculous.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #143
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trade Stajan and Brouwer, man, why didn't Treliving ever think of that.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #144
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That stipulation makes no sense.
It makes just as much sense as imagining that you could get Horvat for nothing.

Quote:
This is a stupid thought experiment though.
It's no more stupid than the thought experiment in which you get Horvat for nothing.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #145
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, yeah, but Calgaryblood proposed that scenario, and everyone was just pointing out that it was ridiculous. Of course you'd take a high-end second line center who's only 22 years old and still has a bunch of upside. Just as any team in the league would take Monahan at his cap hit (or frankly, even at a higher cap hit) if they could get him for free.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #146
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually wasn't the one who provided that scenario maybe try reading it again.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:13 AM   #147
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

fun thread to look back on.

dynamite player btw

https://twitter.com/harmandayal2/sta...686931969?s=20

Last edited by Love; 08-15-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #148
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horvat's having a good playoff run but it seems to me the people who said he is a 55-point centre were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think Horvat projects to be the best Canuck for the majority of this contract. I'm not sure if that's an indictment of the canucks roster or a compliment to Horvat. I guess a little of both.
Maybe 3rd or 4th best, naive me from the past
Old 08-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, look, the guy who hates Monahan bumped a 3 year old thread about Horvat when Horvat has two more points early in the POs. Coincidence?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #150
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
fun thread to look back on.
[/url]
Very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Steal. I don't think Draisaitl or Monahan are better players than Horvat
One of those three is going to win the Hart Trophy, and it's not Horvat.

I think Horvat is a great player, right how I'd take him before Monahan without blinking, but these mastubatory thread bumps are toxic.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #151
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This reminds me of when posters were bumping the Lucic/Neal thread early in the season.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #152
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

" guys look ive been proven right over a span of 8 games after consistently looking like a moron for 3 years over these comments"

This is a self own, monahan is still a better player though Horvat is playing like bennett right now
Old 08-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #153
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping news threads is confusing and dumb. Don’t be that guy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #154
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
" guys look ive been proven right over a span of 8 games after consistently looking like a moron for 3 years over these comments"

This is a self own, monahan is still a better player though Horvat is playing like bennett right now
Monahan has over 70 more goals, well over 100 more points, and Horvat is suddenly better based on 6 games. Horvat’s best scoring season is Monahan’s 4th (which he did twice).

Horvat’s fine, but this thread is just a stupid swipe at Monahan and could easily be locked.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #155
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I think even the biggest Monahan fan has to admit Monahan does not have an extra playoff gear. Horvat is totally showing he does.

I'm also pretty sure if Horvat had Johnny Gaudreau stapled to his side season after season his point totals would be much higher.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread