Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #321
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
In all honesty these types of prospects tournaments don't mean much to players like Juolevi. Guys who are on try-outs and stuff like that go all out while guys like Juolevi, Boeser just try to not get hurt and get to main camp. Now if Juolevi struggles in main camp and preseason games I'll be a bit concerned.

I'll also say that I don't think he should've been drafted at 5 overall, but I'm not quick to write him off yet.
Disagree. He's 19. He played junior last year and may end up playing junior again this year. He has plenty to show. And this tournament is a higher skill level than he normally plays, so it's a chance to step up. Hardly a don't-take-it-seriously situation.

Look at a guy like Jankowski... turning 23 in a couple days, has already had 4 years of college and a year of pro, and is a legitimate candidate to make the NHL team this year. Now he has nothing to play for - he is expected to dominate, and if he doesn't, it's a negative. No win situation.

But he came out and busted his ass and dominated anyway, to show the team what he's made of. And by doing so, he impressed everyone.

If Juolevi is not too concerned about trying to impress at this tournament, then I would say he's either a fool or has a bad attitude. I know there has been some talk about his motivation and/or compete level. This tournament was a chance to disprove those concerns. Instead, he solidified them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #322
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Some talk from VAN fans that Travis Green ripped into Juolevi at some point this camp for his attitude.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #323
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Some talk from VAN fans that Travis Green ripped into Juolevi at some point this camp for his attitude.

Is Travis Green at the Young Stars tournament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #324
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You don't think VAN's head coach is there?

I would think Gulutzan is at our young stars camp even though Huska is running it.

Friend of mine who is a big VAN fan said Green ripped into Juolevi according to his sources. I took him for his word but I could be wrong.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #325
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017 Young Stars Classic: Flames vs Canucks. 3pm MT. calgaryflames.com

Quote:
You don't think VAN's head coach is there?

I would think Gulutzan is at our young stars camp even though Huska is running it.

I honestly don't know, but I would think if there were any NHL H/Cs in Penticton we would have heard about it. As far as I can tell there have been no sightings, no interviews, etc. I could see with only days prior to TC that their focus would be elsewhere this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #326
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan was there. Haynes put up an interview with him yesterday that was conducted on Saturday in Penticton.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #327
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Found one mention of it on HF

"On 1040, they said coming from a reputable source that Green is not happy with Juolevi after prospect camp.

Green apparently said if Juolevi shows up to main camp with the same attitude he had at prospect camp, he shouldn't bother showing up at all."

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=650
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #328
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly don't know, but I would think if there were any NHL H/Cs in Penticton we would have heard about it. As far as I can tell there have been no sightings, no interviews, etc. I could see with only days prior to TC that their focus would be elsewhere this week.
I would be shocked if they weren't there. Isn't that part of their job? You'd think they'd have to watch it. I'd expect the team's entire coaching staff, management staff and probably even some scouts may be there.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #329
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts on the tournament.

Guys that impressed:

Mark Jankowski (77). Not much needs to be said here except he looked like a man playing against boys. He’s ready.

Spencer Foo (15). Came as advertised. Great speed, smart player, and nice shot! Should be up with the Flames sometime during the season.

Dillon Dube (59). Smart player with way better skills than I thought. Good skater, good IQ, under-rated offense. Was pleasantly surprised.

Zach Fischer (48). Really liked his blend of skill and toughness.

Josh Healy (85). Loved his physicality. Didn’t hurt the team out there with the rest of his game.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (68). Really liked the quiet game he plays. Rarely out of position and doesn’t make many mistakes.

Rasmus Andersson (54). Thought he looked like the best defenseman out there and closest to the show. Could use a little more speed, but he just does everything so well.

Juuso Valimaki (42). Very composed. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was his ability to generate offense. Still, can’t believe he fell to our draft slot.

Guys with potential:

Andrew Mangiapane (88). Had flashes out there. Thought he looked out of place with Jankowski and Foo, as he was slightly behind the speed of the game the other two played. Could be just needs some more time.

Matthew Phillips (47). Slick little player, but he is tiny. Has a very long road to go, but he showed he can play at this level in the right circumstances. Needs two or three years.

Adam Ruzicka (63). Liked his size and smarts. Needs to work on his skating and adapt to the speed of the game. Definitely a nice skillset to work with.

Brett Pollock (60). Was ready to see him cut loose, but he came in and showed more than he has in the past. Still has that big body and decent ability, this camp he appears to finally be figuring it out.

Sam Ruopp (98). There was something about this kid that just caught my eye. Played a consistent game and was willing to get his body in the way.

Tyler Parsons (82). Was a little disappointed in his third period play in the only game he played. Looked good up until that point. Overplayed a couple of shots and that seemed to open the flood gates. I can still see why he is so highly regarded though.

Nick Schneider (70). I know it was only against the Canucks, but he looked good. Had good command of his angles and his crease. His rebound control is going to need some work, but he looked decent in there.

Lost cause:

Hunter Smith (71). Just can’t skate. Love his willingness to drop the gloves, but he just can’t do anything hockey related.

Ben Hawerchuk (97). Proof that hockey is not genetic. Really struggled with the pace of play. He could have been trying too hard to make an impression, but the one he did make was not good.

Mason McDonald (72). I try not to get too down on prospects, especially goaltenders, but MacDonald is a massive disappointment. Gives up too many softies.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #330
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Found one mention of it on HF

"On 1040, they said coming from a reputable source that Green is not happy with Juolevi after prospect camp.

Green apparently said if Juolevi shows up to main camp with the same attitude he had at prospect camp, he shouldn't bother showing up at all."

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=650
Maybe they need to send Baertschi to go have a talk with the kid. Sounds a lot like the attitude he had a few years ago when he thought he was too good to go to Penticton.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #331
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think I want Tkachuck... He's only incredibly dirty and not a fun player to cheer for, he is going to end someones career if he doesn't stop. I don't want to cheer for that...
My favorite quote from a Canucks fan. Guess that one fan never watched previous Canuck teams.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #332
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree with the Hawerchuk assessment, I thought he was one of the better invites. He's got good wheels which is one more plus trait than a bunch of guys seemed to have.

Fischer was probably the guy who surpassed expectations the most for me. Really like his play style.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #333
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Disagree. He's 19. He played junior last year and may end up playing junior again this year. He has plenty to show. And this tournament is a higher skill level than he normally plays, so it's a chance to step up. Hardly a don't-take-it-seriously situation.

Look at a guy like Jankowski... turning 23 in a couple days, has already had 4 years of college and a year of pro, and is a legitimate candidate to make the NHL team this year. Now he has nothing to play for - he is expected to dominate, and if he doesn't, it's a negative. No win situation.

But he came out and busted his ass and dominated anyway, to show the team what he's made of. And by doing so, he impressed everyone.

If Juolevi is not too concerned about trying to impress at this tournament, then I would say he's either a fool or has a bad attitude. I know there has been some talk about his motivation and/or compete level. This tournament was a chance to disprove those concerns. Instead, he solidified them.

This was basically just me telling myself that everything is gonna be ok. In all honesty though I'm a little worried. I think he will be a good player, but for a top 5 pick you need better then that.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post: