Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Captain?
Backlund 240 50.31%
Huberdeau 59 12.37%
Tanev 74 15.51%
Lindholm 42 8.81%
Monahan 8 1.68%
Rasmus 6 1.26%
Somebody else 11 2.31%
Nobody 37 7.76%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2022, 02:59 PM   #201
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
He has the NHL all time record for most assists for a left winger in a season, he knows what being a captain involves and most importantly WANTS to be the leader. To give it to anyone else with his credentials would be a big mistake. And yes, I agree that we have overall great leadership on the team. Picking the A's will be a tougher choice but not the C.

Well, I just don't believe he "deserves" it. He hasn't been on the team, hasn't been a captain before. And I didn't follow the Panthers at all, so I don't know his leadership quality, just because he set a record in assist, only proved he is one hell of a player. IMHO, captaincy should be earned not just given. I don't even know if I want to give him the A.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #202
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau is 2nd all time for most assists by a left winger in a season, and he didn't even wear a letter lol
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #203
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Well, I just don't believe he "deserves" it. He hasn't been on the team, hasn't been a captain before. And I didn't follow the Panthers at all, so I don't know his leadership quality, just because he set a record in assist, only proved he is one hell of a player. IMHO, captaincy should be earned not just given. I don't even know if I want to give him the A.
If Captaincy is earned and not given I have no idea how Backlund has garnered the votes here. Backlund has worn an A here for years and exactly what have the Flames won in that time? I don't know who the C should go to but I definitely would not pick the guy who has the longest time on a team known for not being able to win. I am not in the locker room and I don't know but does Backlund come off as a vocal guy? I have never seen it on the ice.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #204
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The St. Louis Blues acquired Wayne Gretzky late in the 1995-96 season. Brett Hull was the captain, and had been for the 3 previous seasons. They removed the captaincy from Brett Hull and gave it to Wayne Gretzky (and Shane Corson.. because Keenan). Hull joined MacInnis as an assistant. The next season, Gretzky left, and the team went without a captain for the entire season. The season after that they named Chris Pronger the captain, and he remained captain for the next 5 seasons until Al MacInnis took it over for a season, which was MacInnis' last full season in the NHL.

What's the point of this post?

Surprise! Huberdeau is not Gretzky. LoL You don't make the new guy who has NEVER been a captain of a team your new captain. It would be a different story if - like the example above - Huberdeau had been a captain for the previous 13 seasons on two different teams, won 4 cups, and it also helps to be the arguable best player in history (cough Lemieux! Cough).

Huberdeau has spent his entire career in Florida. He went there as an 18 year old kid, and no offence to Florida, but Florida hasn't been a good team until very recently, and even then they probably still haven't had even close to the pressure and media scrutiny that find in a Canadian market. Calgary is 'easy' compared to other Canadian markets to be fair, but it is a different world than Florida.

Once again, Huberdeau has never been a captain, he doesn't have a cup or vast experience of cup runs to draw upon, and he knows nobody other than Weegar on the team. In a couple of seasons? It makes a lot more sense. For right now, run with no captains and just have assistants, or give it to one of Backlund, Tanev or Lucic (or make them all co-captains like the '89 Flames - I am fine with that too! - Backlund is Lanny, Tanev is Peplinski, and Lucic is Hunter).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #205
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If Captaincy is earned and not given I have no idea how Backlund has garnered the votes here. Backlund has worn an A here for years and exactly what have the Flames won in that time? I don't know who the C should go to but I definitely would not pick the guy who has the longest time on a team known for not being able to win. I am not in the locker room and I don't know but does Backlund come off as a vocal guy? I have never seen it on the ice.

Well yes, the team has not won anything in the years he wore an A. But he has not wear a C yet, so who knows. I voted for Backlund, in my mind, he's here the longest, he might not be able to put the team on his shoulders, not without trying. He's involved in the community, did a lot of charity works. So, I have a soft spot for him.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #206
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan or we riot.
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #207
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
For right now, run with no captains and just have assistants, or give it to one of Backlund, Tanev or Lucic (or make them all co-captains like the '89 Flames - I am fine with that too! - Backlund is Lanny, Tanev is Peplinski, and Lucic is Hunter).

Yes, I especially like the result of that '89 tem.
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #208
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see that alpha leader here yet. I think the team should see how the season unfolds and if someone steps up into that role then perfect.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #209
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Backlund is logical choice for me. He may not the best leader, but so far he is the longest Flame. Not sure sbout a new guy become C, unless all team members want that.
Tanev, Johny, Lucic or Lindholm should have As.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #210
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The captaincy will have virtually no affect at all in terms of on-ice results. Hell, the Flames could make Kevin Rooney the captain, and the team would perform exactly the same as if it is Lucic, Backlund, Huberdeau or anyone else.

NHL team captains are figureheads—like the Queen in England or the Governer General. They emblamise the team and its culture.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-27-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #211
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Well Forsberg has been in the locker room and had this to say about Backlund being vocal:

Just great, great leader," said teammate and Nashville Predators forward Filip Forsberg. "Great player. Obviously playing against him a lot in Calgary, you see the two-way game that he brings. He's got a really high skill set but still one of the best defensive centers in the league.

"Coming in here, he was a guy taking charge, talking a lot, just being vocal in the locker room and leading on the ice. He was one of our best players every game I played here.

"I'm just proud to be his teammate"

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #212
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The captaincy will have virtually no affect at all in terms of on-ice results. Hell, the Flanes could make Kevin Rooney the captain, and the team would perform exactly the same as if it is Lucic, Backlund, Huberdeau or anyone else.

NHL team captains are figureheads—like the Queen in England or the Governer General. They emblamise the team and its culture.

I agree. Interesting as it is, I don’t think the captaincy is that important in reality. I trust Sutter to make the right choice when the time is right as I don’t see an obvious choice in this team. I think Lucic is the dressing room leader but I don’t know if an on ice leader has been identified. I think age/contact factors into that decision…..maybe marketing plays a role too.

Last edited by Number 39; 08-27-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:27 PM   #213
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooooo. I disagree with the whole "you can name anyone captain and it won't affect the on ice product" bit.

Tell me, you ever had an absolute dog sheet co worker gets promoted to team lead for no particular reason? Tell me how morale is in the workplace. Yeah. Calling a big fat ol BS on that take.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:12 PM   #214
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ooooo. I disagree with the whole "you can name anyone captain and it won't affect the on ice product" bit.

Tell me, you ever had an absolute dog sheet co worker gets promoted to team lead for no particular reason? Tell me how morale is in the workplace. Yeah. Calling a big fat ol BS on that take.
The ‘team lead’ in hockey is not the captain, but the coach. So the analogy doesn't work.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #215
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Well Forsberg has been in the locker room and had this to say about Backlund being vocal:

Just great, great leader," said teammate and Nashville Predators forward Filip Forsberg. "Great player. Obviously playing against him a lot in Calgary, you see the two-way game that he brings. He's got a really high skill set but still one of the best defensive centers in the league.

"Coming in here, he was a guy taking charge, talking a lot, just being vocal in the locker room and leading on the ice. He was one of our best players every game I played here.

"I'm just proud to be his teammate"
Fair enough, I missed this before and that is why I asked if anyone knew about him being vocal. Now I know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 11:56 PM   #216
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Those seem like obscure dots to try and connect when trying to anoint a captain. Backlund’s work ethic and prowess as a capable two-way center in this league are well-established, and assuming he’s respected by his teammates (safe assumption?), we’re to toss all of that in the trash because the team as a unit hasn’t won the prize yet?

I get the whole idea of not wanting to reward or encourage a legacy of failure in some way, but you have to separate the individual player and their own merits in a case like this, if you ask me.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:03 AM   #217
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Johnny Gaudreau is 2nd all time for most assists by a left winger in a season, and he didn't even wear a letter lol
He would have if he didn't bail
Old 08-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #218
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He would have if he didn't bail
As far as I know, there is no evidence that he even wanted a letter.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:52 AM   #219
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The captaincy will have virtually no affect at all in terms of on-ice results. Hell, the Flames could make Kevin Rooney the captain, and the team would perform exactly the same as if it is Lucic, Backlund, Huberdeau or anyone else.

Yeah - leadership isn’t a thing.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:57 AM   #220
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The ‘team lead’ in hockey is not the captain, but the coach. So the analogy doesn't work.
Good leadership groups are just that, groups

How about a military analogy? Would that suit you better?
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote