Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best goalie of all time
Brodeur 34 13.39%
Hasek 144 56.69%
Roy 47 18.50%
Other 29 11.42%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2022, 09:34 AM   #41
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Les Binkley
Laff. What about Andy Brown? Last goalie without a mask.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:37 AM   #42
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasek for me. No doubt it my mind.

You can say that Roy revolutionized the game and other goalies all followed him, but consider the fact that nobody followed Hasek's style because nobody could come close to doing the things he did all the time. He was a goalie that came from space or from out of the distant future.

If you could pick any one goalie at their peak to play a must-win game for you against a better team, it's got to be Hasek.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasek. That 99 Sabres team had zero business being in the finals and he dragged them there. Dude had .913 SV% and went to round 3 in the POs at age 40.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #44
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hasek was all-world in the 98 Olympics, including shutting out the Russians in the gold medal game, 1-0.

If you need a tie breaker, that is it for me.
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #45
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm glad to read so many people agree with me about Hasek. Anyone too young to have seen him play needs to try to track down his performances in the 1999 playoffs. He basically took an AHL squad of players to the Stanley Cup finals all by himself.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO you have Hasek, Royand Brodeur of the modern era.

Then goalies like Plante, Sawchuk, Hall of the golden era.

Guys like Dryden, Esposito were great goalies but aren't in this convo IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #47
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roy played his first 418gp in a very high scoring environment. 115 of those the league avg GAA was 3.35-3.37; the other 305 it was always >3.53.

'93-94 (3.14 avg GAA) was the first year that all 3 guys were starters, and marked the start of the transition into dead puck era - the next three years were 2.89, 3.04, 2.80.

The following 7 years leading into the lockout averaged 2.55 GAA.

5 yrs out of the lockout averaged 2.74 (still well below the mid 90s transition years), and then it dropped back to 2.55 from 2010-17.

So career stats are inevitably tough to compare; even though Hasek is 9 months older than Roy, he managed to skip the highest scoring years.

That said, Hasek lead the league in sv% for 6 straight years (twice lead GAA). Roy lead the league for 4 out of 5 year stretch (thrice lead GAA in his career).

Somewhat surprisingly, Brodeur never lead the league in sv% and lead GAA only once. But he lead the league in Mins seven times; Roy and Dom each lead Mins once.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #48
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Kipprusoff. Call me a homer, I don't care
Homer
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #49
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasek is #1. Dragged the Sabres on his back to the SCF, and the Czechs to the Gold. Six vezinas, and was a treat to watch.

Second was Pat Roy. Conn Smythe trophies, Vezinas, 3 Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears.

Third is Terry Sawchuk. His career stats are similar to Roy’s, without the benefit of the Butterfly, or a facemask. Plus, he was usually drunk.

Last edited by Sandman; 08-26-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasek for me.

Goalies are always difficult to gauge as what is in front of them really affects their numbers. Roy played behind truly great teams, but they eye test told you that he was a truly great player too. Hasek was just on another level in my opinion. He was such a student of the game playing percentages depending on where the puck was or how it was being shot. Maybe nobody else in the history of the NHL has more highlight-reel saves than the Denominator.

Tretiak is the interesting case. I will argue nobody saw enough of him to really know where he ranks. I really wondered exactly how good he was. Having a prime Tretiak in the NHL would have been something... or maybe not and he was simply over-hyped.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #51
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The same could be said about Valeri Kharlamov-the Russian Gretzky.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #52
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It’s hard to argue against Roy. Hasek a real tight #2.

If we’re talking pure talent and not accolades, I legitimately think Kipper was one of the best ever. Wasted on crappy old man teams.
At his peak, Kiprusoff deserves to at least be in the conversation. The problem is that his peak was relatively short.

I would have to go with Hasek, at least in my lifetime.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #53
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tretiak.

Look at the Soviet National team until he retired in 84' then look at them afterwards. He was better than Esposito or Dryden.

There was film of him standing 15 feet from a wall throwing tennis balls simultaneously with both hands and catching them with the same hands over and over.

When that 72 series took place we thought the russians weak point was goal. Wrong until Tretiak retired.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #54
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Tretiak.

Look at the Soviet National team until he retired in 84' then look at them afterwards. He was better than Esposito or Dryden.

There was film of him standing 15 feet from a wall throwing tennis balls simultaneously with both hands and catching them with the same hands over and over.

When that 72 series took place we thought the russians weak point was goal. Wrong until Tretiak retired.
just came in to say people are forgetting tretiak
Old 08-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #55
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Roy, Hasek, and George Hainsworth.
Pick the order you like.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #56
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hasek by a fair margin for me. Best singular performances, with just mind blowing saves. Great, sustained peak with 6 Vezinas. 2 Hart trophies is pretty insane for a goalie, which I think is the topper.

He doesn't have a Conn Smythe, but I am not sure how he didn't win it in 01..920 save percentage and 1.86 goals against. Lidstrom was a great player, but I don't recall him with a spectacular playoffs that would give him the nod, but who knows, perhaps that was deserved.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #57
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith clearly believes he has never made a mistake in net. So, does that mean he is the best goalie of all-time? Also, the unluckiest because he would have a shutout every single game if it wasn't for players in front of him?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:44 AM   #58
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is Hasek for me and it's not really even close. Roy and Brodeur both had great teams with great D for the majority of their careers, Hasek didn't.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hasek always stuck out as being like a freak of nature. He was so different in style and saw the game on another level. Has to be him if you watched him play. Brodeur benefited from a trap team and solid D. Put him on Buffalo I doubt he’s in the top 3. Roy was good. I miss there being different goaltending styles the positions has actually become a bit boring with every goalie just being big and covering a lot of the net in the butterfly style.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #60
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hasek in his prime was insane. The Sabres team in front of him was, for the most part, nothing special. His Save %'s from 94-99 were .930, .930, .920, .930, .932, .937.

He also won an Olympic gold for the Czechs. They beat the USA, Canada and Russia in the playoffs and he gave up 2 goals in those 3 games.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:

Tags
dominik hasek , goalie , martin brodeur , patrick roy