Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 AM   #221
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking for a good while the Canes look good and could go far, but I have to say this series never looked like a sweep until the last half of the last game. Yes the Hurricanes were gikd enough to win, but they also had all the puckluck.

Can't help rooting for McBackup, always liked that guy.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #222
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we could stop talking about Hamilton's mediocre contributions and instead focus on how damn good Jaccob Slavin is, that would be great. Poor guy can't get the credit he deserves because we're too focused on an ex who jilted us and wanted out.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #223
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
The possibility of a Columbus/Carolina eastern final probably has the NHL salivating over that ratings bonanza...
I am definitely cheering for BJs v Canes and Avs v Stars. Why not have all the bottom teams fight for the cup? It's what my bitter heart wants to see.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #224
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I am definitely cheering for BJs v Canes and Avs v Stars. Why not have all the bottom teams fight for the cup? It's what my bitter heart wants to see.
I could be wrong but I think it's terrible for viewership. And what does it mean to regular season hockey that's being questioned now...
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #225
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The playoffs can't flip the style of play on what the regular season does. There needs to be consistency or it's pointless. In the deadpuck era I enjoyed the gruelling battles, and there was consistency with the style of play from the regular season though less skill shown overall. With the game having moved to speed and finesse in the regular season, the playoffs need to follow suit, or it should all move back to what it was before.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #226
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol revisionist history... the only revisionism going on is all of this post parting hate for Dougie. He would undoubtedly have been a superior partner for gio than brodie, and definitely wouldn't have made as ridiculously boneheaded turnovers in the playoffs as TJ Dumbie.

Cant we just be happy for a guy who played well here and left in a good hockey trade for this club to have success elsewhere? Do we have to hold oiler fan levels of spite towards him now that hes elsewhere?
Imo the people who still have a hate on for Dougie are small people, likely complete with depressing and totally insignificant lives. You should feel shame for continuing to try and tread on a great player and a good guy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #227
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol revisionist history... the only revisionism going on is all of this post parting hate for Dougie. He would undoubtedly have been a superior partner for gio than brodie, and definitely wouldn't have made as ridiculously boneheaded turnovers in the playoffs as TJ Dumbie.

Cant we just be happy for a guy who played well here and left in a good hockey trade for this club to have success elsewhere? Do we have to hold oiler fan levels of spite towards him now that hes elsewhere?
Imo the people who still have a hate on for Dougie are small people, likely complete with depressing and totally insignificant lives. You should feel shame for continuing to try and tread on a great player and a good guy.
Lol pot calling kettle black here big time.

Do you remember Dougie making a lazy penalty that cost the Flames a game against the Ducks in 2017? The whole “hot mic” incident after the game where someone was ripping the lazy play Hamilton made and consistently made.

Gio’s numbers and stats go down significantly when he had to cover for Hamilton. He scored 56pts then dipped to low 40’s and high 30’s with Dougie then explodes for 74 when Hamilton is moved away. He we win the Norris playing with Brodie.

You compare our fans to Oiler fans for hating on a guy that didn’t want to be here and then call one of our own players TJ Dumbie? Then you get on a soapbox and start calling people insignificant because they are throwing some internet shade at a former player who was mad his loser brother couldn’t be on our team anymore? Give your head a shake bud and look in the mirror. It is like you are taking these shots at Dougie personally and now are lashing out at our own team and the posters on this board. Seems kind of bizarre unless you have some personal connection with Hamilton?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #228
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Ffs, it’s posts like these that derail the entire thread

There’s a dozen other Flames criticism type threads out there. Go post your thoughts in one of them
Just posting facts.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #229
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The playoffs can't flip the style of play on what the regular season does. There needs to be consistency or it's pointless. In the deadpuck era I enjoyed the gruelling battles, and there was consistency with the style of play from the regular season though less skill shown overall. With the game having moved to speed and finesse in the regular season, the playoffs need to follow suit, or it should all move back to what it was before.

I totally agree... if it's a penalty in the first game of the season, it's a penalty in the 82nd game of the season and it's a penalty throughout the playoffs - it's that simple NHL - GET IT RIGHT! Also.... this not calling a penalty against the trailing team in the third period in the playoffs, but calling that same (or lighter) infraction against the team leading is just WRONG. This "put your whistle away" because you don't want to change the outcome of the game is in fact the very opposite of what they claiming they're doing by doing that. If a team breaks a rule and you call it... THAT'S THE GAME... those are the rules of the game, your are not "changing the outcome of the game" by calling it... but if you purposefully don't call it when you normally would in the regular season (or at the beginning of the game)... you ARE affecting the outcome - the very thing you're claiming you don't want to do.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 05-04-2019 at 08:41 AM.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #230
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Lol pot calling kettle black here big time.

Do you remember Dougie making a lazy penalty that cost the Flames a game against the Ducks in 2017? The whole “hot mic” incident after the game where someone was ripping the lazy play Hamilton made and consistently made.

Gio’s numbers and stats go down significantly when he had to cover for Hamilton. He scored 56pts then dipped to low 40’s and high 30’s with Dougie then explodes for 74 when Hamilton is moved away. He we win the Norris playing with Brodie.

You compare our fans to Oiler fans for hating on a guy that didn’t want to be here and then call one of our own players TJ Dumbie? Then you get on a soapbox and start calling people insignificant because they are throwing some internet shade at a former player who was mad his loser brother couldn’t be on our team anymore? Give your head a shake bud and look in the mirror. It is like you are taking these shots at Dougie personally and now are lashing out at our own team and the posters on this board. Seems kind of bizarre unless you have some personal connection with Hamilton?
Swing and a miss.

Brodie is a lazy player who is deserving of scorn. He makes terrible decisions with the puck.

Hamilton doesnt like to drink alcohol or party and wasnt as tough as he should have been.

One of these players gets defended to the death on these boards while the other gets tossed under the bus as often as possible. I'm just trying to right the massive wrong.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #231
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Swing and a miss.

Brodie is a lazy player who is deserving of scorn. He makes terrible decisions with the puck.

Hamilton doesnt like to drink alcohol or party and wasnt as tough as he should have been.

One of these players gets defended to the death on these boards while the other gets tossed under the bus as often as possible. I'm just trying to right the massive wrong.
In that case, and to use your own words,

Swing and a miss.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #232
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Carolina is an awesome team and they are a possession juggernaut. Watching the games, they seem to have the puck in the offensive zone a lot, and the numbers back that up.

In 11 playoff games, the following Carolina forwards are over 60% in CF% at 5 v 5: Aho, Niederreiter, Staal, Terraveinen. Williams and Svechnikov are just under 60%.

Their top 5 on the blue line is amazing. At 5 v 5:

Slavin: 216:46, 55.44% CF%
Faulk: 211:10, 58.00% CF%
Pesce: 204:28, 51.79% CF%
Hamilton: 189:28, 58.64% CF%
De Haan: 131:10, 60.18% CF%

As a side note, how about that Niederreiter trade. I wanted the Flames to get him for a while. I wonder what the equivalent trade from Calgary's perspective might have been.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Jankowski being better than Rask. If the Flames had done Jankowski for Niederreiter, the top 9 going into next season could have been:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Niederreiter
Mangiapane - Ryan - Bennett
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #233
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Swing and a miss.

I sometimes wonder if people are reading the same board as me.
Brodie gets regularly criticized by this board. Probably for some valid reason. But do you really think you are some lone voice in the forest criticizing Brodie?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #234
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Swing and a miss.

I am firmly on the trade Brodie bandwagon. I was also firmly on the trade Hamilton bandwagon last summer. I don’t think either are true top pairing Dmen and both were carried by Gio. I hope Treliving is able to maximize the trade value for Brodie like he did for Hamilton last summer.

Brodie has also been a massive whipping boy and one of the most criticized players on this forum for the past 2 seasons.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #235
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Carolina is an awesome team and they are a possession juggernaut. Watching the games, they seem to have the puck in the offensive zone a lot, and the numbers back that up.

In 11 playoff games, the following Carolina forwards are over 60% in CF% at 5 v 5: Aho, Niederreiter, Staal, Terraveinen. Williams and Svechnikov are just under 60%.

Their top 5 on the blue line is amazing. At 5 v 5:

Slavin: 216:46, 55.44% CF%
Faulk: 211:10, 58.00% CF%
Pesce: 204:28, 51.79% CF%
Hamilton: 189:28, 58.64% CF%
De Haan: 131:10, 60.18% CF%

As a side note, how about that Niederreiter trade. I wanted the Flames to get him for a while. I wonder what the equivalent trade from Calgary's perspective might have been.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Jankowski being better than Rask. If the Flames had done Jankowski for Niederreiter, the top 9 going into next season could have been:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Niederreiter
Mangiapane - Ryan - Bennett
Agree fully on NN... i was hoping calgary could trade for him before carolina pulled the trigger.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #236
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Skating. Day to day. Was a possible for return tonight apparently. Brind'Amour was quoted saying that as soon as he says he is ready to go, then he's going.
Good to know. With a week off now he should be in game shape for the eastern final and will be a great addition for that series especially if they go up against Boston.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #237
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
Just posting facts.
What facts? You’re just whining about the Flames based on your perception

Stop derailing the Hurricanes thread!
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #238
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Well then. A bit dramatic, don’t ya think?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #239
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Well then. A bit dramatic, don’t ya think?
Particularly coming from a guy who obsessively and ruthlessly attacked Mike Smith all season long. At times for fair reasons but also for very unfair reasons.
Stones, glasses, pots that are black. The usual cliches apply here.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #240
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If we could stop talking about Hamilton's mediocre contributions and instead focus on how damn good Jaccob Slavin is, that would be great. Poor guy can't get the credit he deserves because we're too focused on an ex who jilted us and wanted out.
It would appear that no, we cannot.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote