Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 PM   #4761
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if you aren't a fan of those movies I would say they were both excellent in their roles, and moving forward without them is a huge mistake. I didn't love Thor 4 but I don't think it was the actors fault, and I can't see anyone else in the role.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #4762
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know what to tell you.

WW84 and Aquaman were....unadulterated trash. Complete garbage.

However....they made money! Lots of it.

So for a studio that is very clearly prioritizing money...why would you kill them?
Wonder Woman made ~822 million. It was a success. It is estimated to have made the studio ~253 million.

WW84 made ~170 million. It was not a success. It is estimated to have lost the studio ~100 million.

That's a hell of a coin flip for a studio mired in financial issues.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-07-2022 at 11:10 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:06 AM   #4763
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I may be drunk but I think Momoa is great casting as Lobo.
He was terrible as Aquaman.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 07:50 AM   #4764
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Wonder Woman made ~822 million. It was a success. It is estimated to have made the studio ~253 million.

WW84 made ~170 million. It was not a success. It is estimated to have lost the studio ~100 million.

That's a hell of a coin flip for a studio mired in financial issues.
That's not a fair comparison at all, there was this thing called Covid in 2020, that shut down all theatre. The fact that it made $170 million is actually really impressive.

James Gunn Suicide Squad made $169 mill world wide and WB let him run all of DC
Old 12-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #4765
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The fact that it made $170 million is actually really impressive.
Given how bad it was, this is very true.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #4766
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Set DC movies in the 40s.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #4767
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think to truly get this mess organized Gunn has to start fresh, there was more bad than good with the DCEU.

Mamoa being linked to Lobo makes a lot of sense, I think that is a perfect casting job.

I do hope that they can retain some pieces, but I understand the need to get fresh faces in there to truly separate from the gong show that was the DCEU.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #4768
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Unrelated but this reminded me of the rumour that the next bond movie will be a reboot set in the 60s. I am so onboard for that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #4769
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tweet thread from Gunn in response to the story...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1600920132691189760
Old 12-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #4770
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Tweet thread from Gunn in response to the story...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1600920132691189760
DC has released some godawful crap and yes, WW84 and Aquaman are up there, but Batman vs. Superman probably tops the list.

However, appointing Gunn as their Head Honcho was probably the smartest thing they could possibly have done.

Hopefully their merger and the subsequent fallout of batcrap lunacy doesnt impede his work too much.

If you just hand Gunn the keys and the cash you will more than likely be pleased with the end result.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM   #4771
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I haven't heard this before and I kind of like this idea. Anytime from post WW2 up until the moon landing would be an interesting era.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #4772
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I totally missed this - monsters look great

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:36 AM   #4773
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1601039861288689665

This sucks. I've always thought this would be great.

Maybe in a few years they'll try again. Maybe with Clooney...give him a chance to redeem himself.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #4774
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1601039861288689665

This sucks. I've always thought this would be great.

Maybe in a few years they'll try again. Maybe with Clooney...give him a chance to redeem himself.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:36 AM   #4775
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

God dammit.
DC is a tire fire and has taken from me something I didn't know I really wanted.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #4776
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think a Batman Beyond story would be a fun movie concept. But this has a chance to be a good thing for DC. I think there path to rehabilitation is;

Outside of Batman, the DC characters are generally a lot more lacking it depth, so it is a challenge, but I also would have thought Captain America was flat character 15 years ago, and he got the best trilogy of the primary Avengers. So that can be overcome.

1) Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Joker at minimum all need to be out of live action productions for minimum 5 years.

2) Start with disconnected stories, do a Arrow, Green Lantern, Shazam.... movie (hell do the green lantern without even visiting earth outside of flashbacks). Mainly just B characters that people can name, but have not fully been tainted by the current franchise. But full reset, dump the current actors, ignore the existing cannon...

3) Maximum 2 live action properties / year for at least 3 years. Make sure people have had a chance to stream the recent one before the next one comes out, so they know you are abandoning the old course, and just putting out less ambitious projects for entertainment (manage expectations).

4) Only if you have found a tone that the general public is excited about then start re-introducing the 5 or 6 big characters, max 1 / year with new Actors, and no memory of the old events.

It won't happen, first they are already charging forward with Flashpoint, second they seem to be far more concerned about putting out a slight profit in 2023 than building a champion in 2030. And there will always be those who complain that they want to keep some of what has been done so far, but you have to ignore those voices if you want to succeed. (personally I think the casting of Cavill, Gadot, and Adams, and the casting alone is just about the only thing worth keeping in the DCEU, the rest is a gut job even if you try to preserve the existing continuity, but all of those characters a tainted enough by the movies they have been in they should just be tossed with the rest).

*Bonus hire a new CGI team, and do minimum 50% practical or motion capture. What they've put out so far has not been good enough to compete with the other fantasy franchises, and the other franchises all seem to do a lot more layered graphics on top of conventional photography (even Star Wars was struggling with quality in the volume and went back to more location based filming for most of Andor, because you just can't fake depth and movement the way you can capture it.

Last edited by #-3; 12-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #4777
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I like Coach's idea of setting the universe in the past. It would really differentiate it from what's already been done in the DCU (other than WW). They could tie in alternate versions of real world events to connect with the audience. Similar to what X-Men First Class/Days of Future Past and the subsequent films tried to do.

With Flashpoint they have a chance to reset some things. I don't know if a full reset is necessary but a big one is.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #4778
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I like Coach's idea of setting the universe in the past. It would really differentiate it from what's already been done in the DCU (other than WW). They could tie in alternate versions of real world events to connect with the audience. Similar to what X-Men First Class/Days of Future Past and the subsequent films tried to do.

With Flashpoint they have a chance to reset some things. I don't know if a full reset is necessary but a big one is.
I was thinking about this while watching Wakanda Forever. Honestly I think this is always the problem with DC vs Marvel, especially in movies, is that they can’t really. Because they are set in fictional cities with fictional histories. There’s nothing to connect with in Coast City or Metropolis. Gotham feels a bit more real but honestly I think that’s largely from Nolan’s movies and the character of Batman’s being human.

For a smaller comic audience it doesn’t matter as much, but for a larger movie audience, I think being able to tie them to real world places and history has made a difference for Marvel. It’s definitely a layer that I enjoy about them. I’d say it was a significant part of Wonder Woman’s success as well.

Last edited by Coach; 12-09-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #4779
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interesting that Gunn is walking back on some of this and confirming other parts, but not giving us any idea which is which.

MoS2 is rumoured to be a more light hearted golden age type Superman similar to what we saw in Superman 2. I would really like to see Cavill get a chance to play golden boy Superman.

With the right director there could be some really iconic shots in there.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #4780
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1601620091358961664

I'm just throwing this out...... Spielberg directs MOS2
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post: