Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #2801
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The moment a movie is on demand it gets pirated. This will be available on torrents before you wake up Christmas morning.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #2802
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Am I correct that Americans can pay $15 for a month of HBO max, giving them WW84 access, but internationally they are asking for $30 just for the movie? Seems like a recipe for pirates.
$30 for 48 hours of access to the movie.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #2803
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
That's... that's.... like 24 movies!
Old 12-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #2804
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think they're really over-estimating people's desire to see WW84.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #2805
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

WW84 would have probably been a top 3 film at the box office in 2020 if Covid never happened, probably grossing over a billion dollars.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #2806
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think they're really over-estimating people's desire to see WW84.
Is $30 so ridiculous? Still cheaper than the theatre for most.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #2807
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is $30 so ridiculous? Still cheaper than the theatre for most.
First, I don't think this is true. Maybe in IMAX, but for a regular showing it's actually a bit more than two tickets would cost.

Second, most of what I'm paying for at the theatre isn't the right to see the movie. It's the use of the theatre's equipment to allow me to experience the movie in the optimal setting. It's their screen, their projector equipment, their sound system... I'm effectively paying them because they've invested the capital costs into acquiring all of that equipment, which is impractical for me to obtain, and the ongoing costs of running it. That gives me a different experience from watching TV.

If I'm watching it at home I'm simply not willing to pay anything like that amount - the rental fee from on demand movie services, which is somewhere in the $6 range, seems about right. Granted that's the standard for a few months after theatrical release, but I'm sure as #### not paying a 500% premium to see the thing a couple of months earlier than I otherwise would.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #2808
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
First, I don't think this is true. Maybe in IMAX, but for a regular showing it's actually a bit more than two tickets would cost.

Second, most of what I'm paying for at the theatre isn't the right to see the movie. It's the use of the theatre's equipment to allow me to experience the movie in the optimal setting. It's their screen, their projector equipment, their sound system... I'm effectively paying them because they've invested the capital costs into acquiring all of that equipment, which is impractical for me to obtain, and the ongoing costs of running it. That gives me a different experience from watching TV.

If I'm watching it at home I'm simply not willing to pay anything like that amount - the rental fee from on demand movie services, which is somewhere in the $6 range, seems about right. Granted that's the standard for a few months after theatrical release, but I'm sure as #### not paying a 500% premium to see the thing a couple of months earlier than I otherwise would.
I agree.

I also think it's a bit premature to call theaters dead. Prior to covid theaters were setting records.

The only issue is that costs were spiraling out of control for certain types of movies. The stagecraft technology is going to go a long way towards changing that though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #2809
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Depends on the movie. If endgame or episode VII or VIII were coming out right now I would pay the $30 on day 1 to watch them without spoilers. Especially at a 50% discount to what the theatre charges. (Family of 4 plus snacks).

Will I pay for wonder women. No.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #2810
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well I’m assuming most people aren’t watching it at home alone so comparing to cost of at least two tickets if not more.

Nor am I suggesting the home experience is better or replaces the theatre experience.

Just saying it’s a reasonable price if you might otherwise have seen it in the theatre. Compare it to an on demand rental price if you want but those are for movies where people already passed on the option of paying more to see it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #2811
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hailee Stanfield as Kate Bishop in Hawkeye looks like it's been ripped right from the comic pages. Can't wait for that to get going so they can pivot away from Jeremy Renner going forward.

Honestly, it's going to be very cool to see a lot of these legacy heroes like Kate, Ironheart, Ms. Marvel, and so on get to the small screen or big screen so quickly.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #2812
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

New ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Movie Will Star Chris Pine

https://www.slashfilm.com/dungeons-a...ApF2_xne8LANzg
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #2813
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Stand mini-series starts on Thursday. Not sure where to get it legally in Canada though.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #2814
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are also doing the Eyes of the Dragon. Is it wrong that I wish that the kept Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black for every single movie? That dudes calling card was that he was charming. I'm not sure if poor man's Viggo Mortensen can pull it off.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #2815
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Wonder Woman at $30 is hilarious.

Relative to the cost of say a video game, the entertainment for cost profile is horrendous for a price like that compared to say a good $30 game you get hours and hours of entertainment out of. I almost never order movies before the price collapses to the $6 mark. They’re in a box. If they raise the $6 I will figure out how to illegally torrent. I can justify $6 to legally pay for stuff. They should lower the costs from $30 to more like $10-$15 range for new releases. That could work for me maybe.

Basically, I don’t think I am willing to pay that much for entertainment when there’s so many cheaper entertainment options. Movies aren’t really that good these days and streaming tv content is enormous, so, yeah I just can’t justify anywhere near $30. Even $10 for WW seems, like... I dunno. I watched the first one and liked it too.

Do actors and athletes need to be making these kinds of salaries and wages? I don’t think so personally. I think it speaks to how backwards our society’s priorities are actually.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #2816
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no need to see stuff when it is released, so I just wait until it is free on one of my streaming services. Rarely bothered with the theatre. Patience is great for saving money.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #2817
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Have we figured out how to get HBO Max in Canada? I Feel like I asked this question already but can't remember the answer..
Old 12-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #2818
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have no need to see stuff when it is released, so I just wait until it is free on one of my streaming services. Rarely bothered with the theatre. Patience is great for saving money.
It really only takes an initial effort too, then you’re busy catching up on movies from subscription services at home permanently.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #2819
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Initial reviews on WW1984 are out. Generally positive reviews, but I'm guessing anyone who did not like Aquaman will not like this. In my house this is bound to be played non-stop, as Aquaman was a huge hit. Aquaman was definitely about the theatre experience too, I'd much rather see WW1984 in the theatres.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #2820
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Initial reviews on WW1984 are out. Generally positive reviews, but I'm guessing anyone who did not like Aquaman will not like this. In my house this is bound to be played non-stop, as Aquaman was a huge hit. Aquaman was definitely about the theatre experience too, I'd much rather see WW1984 in the theatres.
There are people who liked Aquaman?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: